TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Moving To Maryland

EL SHELBY

I've taken a job in Southern Maryland. I'll be working at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River in support of NAVAIR. I'll be in an apartment initially, but I'm looking for house, either rent or to buy. The wife and I are drawn to Leonardtown but she will likely be working up around Annapolis (only a couple times a week.)

Anyone in the area have suggestions or recommendations on pretty much anything related to a move into the area? We have two small girls with the oldest starting kindergarten in the fall so schools are high on the list of things we are looking at.

Thanks,

J-

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken a job in Southern Maryland. I'll be working at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River in support of NAVAIR. I'll be in an apartment initially, but I'm looking for house, either rent or to buy. The wife and I are drawn to Leonardtown but she will likely be working up around Annapolis (only a couple times a week.)

Anyone in the area have suggestions or recommendations on pretty much anything related to a move into the area? We have two small girls with the oldest starting kindergarten in the fall so schools are high on the list of things we are looking at.

Thanks,

J-

J

I Spent 3 years there while I was on active duty. Hated it when I got there, it was very remote and not what I was used to. I grew up in a rural suburb type of town in NJ and had just transferred from the VA Beach area, so this was quite a shock and took some getting used to for my wife and I. I think my wife had more of an issue with it cause the mall was a 45 minute drive to Waldorf. By the time I was up for orders and had to leave we loved it and didn't want to go. I actually talked to my detailer and asked to just transfer to another command on the base. Of course he said no. Since then we've been back quite a bit to visit old friends.

Lots to do if you like the outdoors, or the water. It's grown a lot over the years but it's still what I consider a quiet place on the way to nowhere (if you look at it on a map). One of the nice things was being that close to the DC area, about an hour and fifteen minute drive, lots to do and see. Route 4 goes straight into DC and actually turns into Pennsylvania avenue.

The schools weren't very good when I was there but it's been a while and they may have improved since. That was St. Mary's schools, Leonardtown's where a little better. When I first got there we lived in an apartment in Lexington Park for about 6 months, then we moved to a nice big house in Hollywood down 235. Leonardtown was the bigger and more popular area so you should find what you're looking for there. Good luck with the move. Hope this helped some, maybe one day we can meet up, MDIR or something. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me, I'll do my best to answer.

Jeff

Jeff, I appreciate the reply. The wife and I are actually looking forward to the seclusion of the area along with trees, actual seasons, and of course some fish/crab that don't have frequent flier miles.

I will be disappointed if there isn't much of Shelby crowd although I'm looking forward to being reasonably close to VIR and TASCA.

Jeff, I appreciate the reply. The wife and I are actually looking forward to the seclusion of the area along with trees, actual seasons, and of course some fish/crab that don't have frequent flier miles.

I will be disappointed if there isn't much of Shelby crowd although I'm looking forward to being reasonably close to VIR and TASCA.

There seems to be a lot of us in the DC area, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of organized Shelby activity. I'm told the Northern Virginia Mustang Club has a bit of Shelby participation. They do some track days, parades and such. I hope to try them out this spring. Cars and Coffee at Katie's in Great Falls Virginia on Saturday mornings is a big deal. Not sure what Southern Maryland has for cars and coffee type events.

Welcome to the area! Check out SVT Cobra Club as well. They organize a lot at VIR. Got one coming up in May that looks like a blast.

Curt

Thanks Curt, I'll check it out.

The SGT is still in Fort Worth and I'm still not sure if I'll drive it or ship. Honestly, I prefer to drive but the weather will dictate the decision. I'm also concerned with temps. The NT05s I'm running do not like the cold. I'm expecting the final move to happen sometime in the next couple months.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, J-

For what it's worth, Kent Island is one of my favorite places on earth. It's on the eastern foot of the Bay Bridge. Don't know what's up with the schools, as I'm past all that, but man, you can't do much better for capturing the bay lifestyle. Your commute to Annapolis would basically be back and forth over the bridge. Almost pulled the trigger on a place on the water over there a couple years ago, but I work in VA on the other side of town, so the commute scared me off. Beautiful place though...

-Steve

I live up in Maryland way north and west of where you are talking about...have lived in Maryland for the past 15+ years and it can be nice for sure. True, doesn't seem to be a lot of Shelby events from what I have seen, but I feel like I am stuck between Northeast Region and South Atlantic. I've seen several other Shelbys running around Maryland (in the drivable seasons of course) and I'm sure there are folks by Baltimore, over in Annapolis, and down by DC...just don't know how many of them are on the forums to get organized.

Another thing you will be closer to (well, 3-4 hours) is Ford Nationals at Carlisle Fairgrounds in Pennsylvania. They always have a huge contingency of Mustangs and Shelbys in June...a sight to see and be part of! TS Northeast has had an event there several times and it's pretty good.

Good luck with the move, and if you can swing the road trip in conjunction I say do it...few things more relaxing than driving these cars.

Matt

Archived