TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2015 Ford Mustang will feature all-new "performance enhancement"

ilmor

Thanks for the link ilmor. Some good reading there...nice to see some details becoming known. I am super excited about this re-design. Can't wait to see the first official spy shots. Everyone got wound up (in a negative way) over the "evo-mustang", but I'm quite sure it's going to be somewhat different. I just want it be sleek, modern and cutting edge.

It sounds more and more like the Mustang is no longer and 'American Pony/Muscle Car'. I understand Ford's need to play to the masses with the global design but it's doing so at the expense of many traditional Mustang Loyalist.

It sounds like the Mustang is loosing its identity. Going with the Evos design elements is a bad idea in my opinion.

The current GT500 managed to prove that aerodynamics can be achieved without bending the metal in fancy ways, but sales demands are unfortunately forcing this. If I had to guess, I'd say Ford is playing up the media a bit before they really send a good looking car out. Give it time and let your breaths out before this all goes south.

• 4 weeks later...

Come on you guys. Its not just the older crowd that thinks the new design sucks because of being the older generation. I am only 38 and I like the present day cars just as much as the originals. I will tell you, that new design sucks! I will not be supporting ford as a whole in the future if they do this. I do not think Shelby will be able to win my vote on there version either ( I am not blaming Shelby, it would all be Fords fault). I just find it hard to believe anyone saying that sales are down because of the present design and need for a change. The economy is hurting everyone in some way in this country. Ford does not need to redisign the Mustang in a global, Evo piece of sh^t way. Like Carroll Shelby, the Mustang is a legend in it own right. Ford SHOULD respect the history of this car and keep it as pony like as posible. As I said before, I am glad I own a 65 and the new design will not effect me one bit. Why am I making a big deal then? I, like others like me, Judging by all the negativities out there, will not be buying the future Mustang. Hmmmm, sounds like some dropage in sales allready and the car is not even built yet. With some respect, I feel the Mustang II are more worthy to wear the Horse and tribar (colored Red,White,and Blue)"if memory serves me right, are AMARICAN COLORS", than the new global turd! For all you supporters of the design, enjoy the car, but I will not be begging any of you for a picture or a ride in one. This is America and I hope everyone will respect my opinion, as I will do towards any of yours.

I'm fine with the IRS, and I have no issue with adding a four cylinder supercharged engine to help fuel economy numbers provided that the V8 always remain an option. My problem is with the design. Nowadays, with common platforms, it should be easy to make cars that look totally different, yet share the same powertrain and suspension. Look at what Hyundai/Kia is doing. They've established a different style for each brand that appeal to different buyers. For instance, a Sonata looks quite different from an Optima, yet it's the same car underneath. Looking at the progression of their sales over the past 2-3 years, this approach seems to work as both brands have increased their sales substantially.

Ford could build a Mustang for the North American market, and a second sports coupe, sold globally, which could compete with European and Asian coupes here in North America. Cost of designing two cars sharing the same plaftorm shouldn't be prohibitive, and these added costs should be offset by the added sales. If some people hate the current Mustang design, they could buy the new global sports coupe and vice versa. Every one would be happy; can't see anything wrong with that. Instead, Ford seems intent to frustrate part of its current customer base to attract new customers. Why not try to gain new customers while still taking care of the current ones?.

• 2 weeks later...

Many claim that if there's one thing Ford is good at, it's pissing off the loyal customers it already has...in hopes to steal more of the imports customers lol. I always was fascinated with how they can fit a current gen body, on an entirely different test frame, and have it look almost normal. Let's see if our FoMoCo does the right thing, and keeps the classic lines and optional V8 power. If not, who knows...a Shelby's name might be found on Dodges once again :P

• 4 weeks later...

I can't think of one import car under $40K that looks good. The current Mustang looks good because of good proportions. The Astin Martin looks good for the same reason. The 370-Z fails this test along with most imports under $40K. It does not take much to mess up this design element. Look @ some of the Asian cars that people buy. I hope Ford does not mess up a good thing. Look @ the 928 porsche it was going to take the 911 into the future. BAD proportions all over the place. once ugly allways ugly. GM tried to do a 2005 GTO " 4 door car with 2 doors ", NOT! Ford needs to do what the 911 has done. Keep your customer base and tweak the design . They have done that since 2005. So why such a major shift in design ?????? Or is this just a media thing to sell more whatever ?

It seems that with each evolutionary change to the Mustang, people have had strong reactions. Even the move from the 1966 to the 1967 brought dismay even though enthusiasts knew it would user in new powertrains. For me the allure of the Mustang has been performance at an affordable price.

My biggest hope for the sale of the "world" Mustang is that each one of them is built in America.

Didn't we go through this about 25 years ago...and end up with something called a Probe?

Yes and where is the probe today ? Most people would say @ the doctor's office

I guess its going to be a waiting game to see what ford is going to end up with, but a least if we don't like it we still have our cars now.

Didn't we go through this about 25 years ago...and end up with something called a Probe?

i forget the article i read... but it was about a year before the '10 came out. they were talking about ford wanting to make the mustang more along the lines of the probe platform. front wheel drive, smaller, 6 banger. hope they dont. but i wouldnt be shocked......

To Me - some designs should be left alone. Why do we have to have change? Examples: XKE Jags - Miatas - VW Bugs - Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers - AMC Pacer (!) -- sometimes designs (and not just cars - like Topsiders) deserve to be left alone. Sadly, to make Money - some feel a need for change. At my age, there aren't too many new cars in my pipeline - just glad I've got a '13 that retains the Mustang identity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To make room for the European license plate they made the rear end of the 2013 reflect this . I know you can't import the 2013 but some of the next generation Mustang is showing up now. I just got back from Italy and the car guys over there can't wait for the Mustang to arrive. I was wearing a Shelby T shirt and the car guys asked alot of questions about Mustangs.There really is a Mustang fan club over in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

. Why not try to gain new customers while still taking care of the current ones?.

havent you noticed? this is not the "american way" in business... just look to any subscriber based model. for instance..( my pet pev) is if your a dish or direct TV customer for 10 years. the schmuck next door gets a better deal to sign up ...when you call and ask for their price your told NO new customers only.

the only way to win is to cancel, deny their "account saver reps" when they offer you a "token" to stay.. and then let your wife or kid sign up in their name as ?"first time customers." to get a good deal

no one in businees anymore cares about " existing customers" its not about stability..its all about growth..and existing customers are not counted as growth therefore they do not matter.

in fact im sure they dont mind cacels/signups as they see the new sign up as new business...and can brag about their huge increase in customer base.

the last "customer loyalty" exp i had with ANY company was well over 25 yrs ago. sad. dont ever renew anything

always cancel and start over. its a better deal.

Two friends seen the new design, went to the ford dealer and ordered two new 13's. Both should be here mid Oct.

I can see this from older more established customers vs the the newer generation. I will have to look hard at the 2014 models myself vs the new Gen 2015 models. Nothing wrong with that, just not sure if I'm ready to move up to the new generation Mustang. I never owned a Mustang II (74-78) and the Fox-bodied took a few years to grow on me. However it was more of the updated 5.0 with fuel injection than styling of that generation and I ended up owning a couple. I loved the SN95 and S197's from the get go and owned both. Time will tell and I still own a 1970 Mach I to remind me of my younger days. B)

DSC_0223.JPG

I was not a fan of the M II or he fox body, but when the 2005 came out, I was in Love. not a real fan of the 10 and up....but compared to the 2015.....

My friends are our generation and not young generation.

I just hope Ford knows what they are doing.

My Shelby is not going anywhere...my weekend car and I will keep it that way.

• 3 months later...

My 2c.

I don't see Ford making any drastic changes for '15.

The current models are selling well - Camaros and Challengers, too.

Probably some technology changes - suspension - engines and such.

Styling cues from the Brand -- Focus/Fusion.

Archived