TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best place to sell a car?

AttilioGT

Hi guys,

I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Sadly, I need to sell my 07SGT and I was wondering what the most affective place to post would be. I was thinking auto trader but I don't see many private sellers on there mostly newer car dealers. Classic car auto trader doesn't even have a search option for the SGT only for the 500. Ebay I have never sold a car on and worry about someone buying sight unseen. 

I was going to just trade it in but dealers have no idea what it is and go by VIN#.  What do you guys recommend that will get it sold in a responsible amount of time. My asking price I think is fair 22500. it's only got 23k miles. Seem fair?

smallout.jpg

small2.jpg

Some Shelby GTs do move through this forum, but over all this place isn't a great place to sell.  Everyone here already has their car!!!

Try the usual places like Auto Trader and even eBay. 

Note, if you're looking to buy something new consider that if you trade it you will likely come ahead in sales tax since most states only tax the difference between the trade and new purchase, and if you can do it work with the dealer to hold the bottom line but up the value of the trade. 

36 minutes ago, JeffIsHereToo said:

Be sure you understand eBay’s fees.

Non-business ebay sellers can LIST their car for free on ebay and if you do it right you can make the sale off of ebay and not pay any ebay commission fee's.

Vehicle sales are one of the few ebay categories where you can put your contact description in the auction description making the odds of selling the car off of ebay more likely.

But the fees aren't all that unreasonable.  Private party success fee is under $200, right?   Unlike regular stuff which amounts to 10% ebay + 2.9% paypal.   I've been trying to sell some Ford GT leftovers and it's almost not worth it to ship it.  If I can't get my money then I'll just toss it since it would end up costing me more in time to take it to the shipping place. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

They charge about $100 for each listing after the first. So unless you sell it can start to add up. I just went through this “surprise” invoice they auto renewed over a month but only invoice monthly.  I might be open to selling sone of my cars but haven’t found a place that doesn’t charge $$$.  So please post if you know one!

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fees-selling-vehicles-ebay-motors?id=4127

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

14 minutes ago, JeffIsHereToo said:

They charge about $100 for each listing after the first. So unless you are sell it starts to add up. I just went through this “surprise” invoice. I might be open to selling sone of my cars but haven’t found a place that doesn’t charge $$$.  So please post if you know if one!

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fees-selling-vehicles-ebay-motors?id=4127

I'm pretty sure it's different now.  I think you get 6 times per year.  Re-lists do count, but you can get an extended period for a small amount extra that is less than a re-list. 

Here's a link to the ebay auto rules

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/motors-fees?id=4127

Edited by twobjshelbys

2 hours ago, AttilioGT said:

Hi guys,

I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Sadly, I need to sell my 07SGT and I was wondering what the most affective place to post would be. I was thinking auto trader but I don't see many private sellers on there mostly newer car dealers. Classic car auto trader doesn't even have a search option for the SGT only for the 500. Ebay I have never sold a car on and worry about someone buying sight unseen. 

I was going to just trade it in but dealers have no idea what it is and go by VIN#.  What do you guys recommend that will get it sold in a responsible amount of time. My asking price I think is fair 22500. it's only got 23k miles. Seem fair?

smallout.jpg

small2.jpg

Hey guy, I think your starting asking price is very reasonable as long as the car is in excellent shape, and remember you can go down, but not back up, so with that said it sounds like a very good starting price to me.  Also, J.M.O., but I think listing it on the Shelby site, like one of the members mentioned is definitally worth a try for sure.  I wish you good luck with your sale it looks like a nice car.      :thumbsup:

P.S.   Just a heads up to help you sell your:   the more detailed pictures you post of the all around car inside and out will greatly increase your chance of selling it, this should help and again good luck!

Edited by Mongoose
add text

18 hours ago, JeffIsHereToo said:

They charge about $100 for each listing after the first. So unless you sell it can start to add up. I just went through this “surprise” invoice they auto renewed over a month but only invoice monthly.  I might be open to selling sone of my cars but haven’t found a place that doesn’t charge $$$.  So please post if you know one!

That's not what I'm seeing. Ebay says low volume non car sales lots sellers can list their car for free and if it sells on ebay then you pay ebay a fee between $60-125 depending on the final selling price.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, make the deal off of ebay there is no final fee to be paid, you just cancel the auction and meet the buyer in person to make the transaction.

Steven

21 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

That's not what I'm seeing. Ebay says low volume non car sales lots sellers can list their car for free and if it sells on ebay then you pay ebay a fee between $60-125 depending on the final selling price.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, make the deal off of ebay there is no final fee to be paid, you just cancel the auction and meet the buyer in person to make the transaction.

Steven

eBay is a great auto marketing tool.  I have purchased and sold cars on eBay, but never through the “buy it now” button, it’s all been behind the scenes with contacting the seller/buyer.  

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the feedback.  Because it's an 07 I worry about selling on ebay. If the buyer expectations aren't what they expect. I mean it is an 07. Paint is 95 percent perfect, could use a clay bar. Door needs the insert replaced, I think they all start to peel.  Hood scoop is still generation 1. Car fax is clean. I have the title which helps. It runs like it's brand new. Only repair was I replaced the rear swayer bushings.  I noticed on ebay under completed items the 07SGT don't sell that often. Ebay classified sells cars for free locally only BUT to list you have to be a car dealer.

I am also selling my Harley Davidson 2017 Fatboy S with only 1800 miles. That's a real problem because there is a loan. I never knew how hard it is to sell a vehicle that has a credit union loan without local branches. Almost impossible. Dealers and professional buyers put me upside-down with terrible offers.

I really need to sell both so I am going really low. I would take offers within reason on my car to sell. 

Anyway thanks again guys, I think I will give ebay a shot. I hate selling any of it, but I got this damn Parkinson's show up at an early age. Enjoy your health guys.

Peace

small.jpg

1.jpgsmall.jpg

On 11/9/2019 at 6:19 AM, mfield2a said:

eBay is a great auto marketing tool.  I have purchased and sold cars on eBay, but never through the “buy it now” button, it’s all been behind the scenes with contacting the seller/buyer.  

Agreed, the exposure eBay provides vs the cost is a fantastic deal. Although eBay would prefer the vehicle to be sold on eBay, so they can earn a commission, there is nothing wrong with nor are you violating any eBay rules by selling the car off of eBay and cancelling the eBay ad.

As I mentioned previously, the eBay vehicle ads are one of the few categories where a seller may put their phone number and/or email address in the ad for potential buyers to make direct contact with the seller.

Steven

PS- One other tip, NEVER accept Paypal or similar electronic payment for your vehicle. In person cash or verified certified funds only.

• 4 months later...

I need to sell mine, but the stripes and scoop are in such poor shape. Plus it got hail damaged in 2008 and had Ford do the repair in their body shop and even got stripes replaced. But over the years with no garage or car port until I bought a house with one in 2012, the stripes deteriorated and scoop warped. The body and paint is still in good shape with a couple of little chips here and there from driving. Other than that it's in good shape. Replaced Ford shocks with Bilsteins. My tundra is 20 years old, but I'm not getting rid of it, just need a newer daily driver. The Shelby is just not a good daily, mainly because I get tired of shifting in city traffic. If it was an automatic I'd keep it. I can't afford to get stripes replaced or painted. I'll probably take a hit on the selling price for it.

Edited by fatboy_merged
a few grammar errors

In Dec. I sold my stock 2008 vert with 45,000 miles on eBay in 2 weeks. The first week it only hit $17K, so I lowered the reserve and the 2nd week it sold for $20K. I had to pay the eBay listing fee twice, but since I had the seller wire the money into my account (cost me $15) I didn't have any PayPal fees.

My car had stripes that were in poor condition, so would not go over well at an auction, which would probably cost me 10%, so I think I did okay. I gave a detailed description and lots of photos, had all paperwork and tried to be truthful about the car's pros and cons. I priced the car appropriately,  figuring the cost of new stripes.

The buyer arranged shipping, so the shipper called me and we planned a time for the guy to show up. He took lots of notes, photos and video and took the car on a trailer behind his truck to a bigger lot where it then was shipped on a carrier across the country. The buyer got it in just a few days.