TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I’m noticing a lot of hood flutter

SamK

I’m new here so I’m not sure if I start a new post or just put it here. 

Finally got a good day run yesterday On my 2019 GT350 and I’m noticing a lot of hood flutter on it around 70mph and up, or when trucks pass the other direction it lifts and flutters a lot. Sitting in the garage the hood looks perfectly aligned and sits great, but at speed i almost feel like that latch could give way and there goes my hood. Anyone have this issue, is it normal? Is there an adjustment that can or should be made? Thanks. 

42 minutes ago, SamK said:

I’m new here so I’m not sure if I start a new post or just put it here. 

Its always best to start a new thread if the topic is different than the current thread. This is so your new topic gets the attention it deserves. I've split your post off into a new topic for you. Lets hope some other GT350 owners chime in with their experience.

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

Some people have installed redline hood struts and say it helped. Also some people adjusted the rubber hood stops at the front of engine bay because they were not making positive contact with the hood. One cheap easy way to check clearance is to put a small gob of modeling clay or playdoh on the hood stop, gently close the hood completely, then raise the hood and see how much was “mashed”away . If you still have playdoh or clay thickness on top of the rubber then adjust the stop upwards slightly about 1/2 turn at the time and close hood, adjust until you get clay/playdoh mashed away in the top center of the rubber hood stop. Do so until the rubber makes positive contact and puts just a little bit of pressure against the hood when you close the hood completely.(Not so much that it raises the hood up above the fenders.) It may not totally stop the flapping but it should reduce it significantly. Some people use ink on top of the rubber piece to check for contact. Let us know if you get it resolved and how you did it.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had the hood stops readjusted by the dealer body shop, and it still has the same lift in the wind. I was actually just looking at struts the other day, looks like I’ll be getting some and see if they help. I wanted them anyway so I can lift the hood at shows and not have the standard hood brace arm in the way. Thanks for the info, it was very helpful. I was also thinking of the hood pins as well but not sure about putting holes in my hood just yet. Any thoughts on those? 

5 hours ago, SamK said:

I’ve had the hood stops readjusted by the dealer body shop, and it still has the same lift in the wind. I was actually just looking at struts the other day, looks like I’ll be getting some and see if they help. I wanted them anyway so I can lift the hood at shows and not have the standard hood brace arm in the way. Thanks for the info, it was very helpful. I was also thinking of the hood pins as well but not sure about putting holes in my hood just yet. Any thoughts on those? 

I have Redline struts on my 2019 GT350R.  Had them on my 2016 GT350, removed them when it was traded and added to the 2019.

Love them

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SGT0128,  nice to know.  I have only taken my 2011 GT350 to about 140+ (stopped looking at speedo near that point and looking at the highway).  No hood vibration or flutter either but our hoods are different than the Ford GT350.😎

• 3 weeks later...

You can always add the hood pins if you have the patience - Even with the Kit for $299, you will need to make spacers to prevent the Carbon Fiber radiator support from crushing when tightening the pins, 12-degree shims to match the pitch of the hood, cut the nuts in half to allow the hood not to rest on the nuts, and shorten one pin by 1.25 inches so it doesn't rub into the AC line on the passenger side. Stopped hood flutter on a Carbon Fiber hood that also has the Ford Performance Struts - Makes this Blown Beast look sharp too! Stripes tomorrow to match the exposed Carbon Fiber on the hood.

h1.jpg

H33.jpg

hood2.jpg