TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford vs Ferrari movie - first look

Larry T

9 hours ago, Larry T said:

Thanks for sharing!  Love this kind of racing stuff!  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am fired up to see this movie.  I lived that era, spending weekends at the race track.  I hope many Shelby owners drive their cars to opening night at the local theater.  The ride home in our Shelby's after watching this movie will be magic. 

19 hours ago, Tim Enos said:

I noticed that Peter Brock is not mentioned or cast in the movie...

That probably would have only happened if this had been a  proper story with the Daytona Coupe included. Maybe a better actual story that someone could produce later. The Cobra Coupe came to glory before the Ford GT did.

But it is nice seeing Alex Gurney play his dad Dan.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:18 PM, falcongtho3 said:

Hey Falcon,  thanks for posting these two very cool sites on some of the info of Peter Brocks life in racing and relationship with Carroll Shelby!     Lots of cool stuff I didn’t know, and also that Peter and Carroll weren’t always friends!          Thanks bud!            “MONGOOSE”   :peelout:

The Movie is titled Ford vs Ferrari and is about Ford’s effort to beat Ferrari with the GT40, and it is primarily about Ford winning in 1966. While it would have been nice to see Brock at least acknowledged in the movie since he was an important part of Shelby History, again the movie is about Ford vs Ferrarri and the GT40 vs the Ferrarri cars. Brock was not heavily involved with GT40 development. His focus during that 1964 to 1966 time period was mainly the Daytona Coupe. Most people only know the popular story of the Ford/Shelby 1966 Le Mans win  when the now legendary Ford/Shelby Effort resulted in the 1966 Le Mans 1,2,3 win. Most people don’t remember the disastrous 1965 Ford/Shelby effort when the GT40s were entered and all of them DNFed and Ferrari dominated and won 1,2,3 in 1965. Most people also don’t know that in the 1965 Le Mans,  an AC Cobra Daytona Coupe was entered by AC Cars Ltd (not Ford/Shelby) and it won a respectable eight place overall while all of the GT40s DNF’ed. Ford was paying the bills back then and there was no way Shelby was going to be stupid enough to enter Daytona Coupes which proved quite competitive against the GT40. The Deuce wanted a win and in  1966 Ford came back with a vengeance and all effort was concentrated on the GT40. American movies cater to the attitude that America is all about “winning”, they don’t like to hear stories about losing or "what ifs". The masses aren’t going to pay money to go to the theater to be hit with truth, they want entertainment and “America Wins”. Therefor Hollywood  is not going to introduce some shoulda, coulda, woulda side bar about the Daytona Coupe and Pete Brock. Not taking anything away from Brock here, I am a huge fan of his work and his often overlooked contributions to car design and racing history and it would have been nice to see further development of the Daytona and what it could do but it wasn't in the cards.

I've always been a Daytona Coupe fan, and have though Peter Brocks work was amazing. The Daytona did win the US the 1965 world Mfg. Cup, it also won its' class (4th overall)in the 1964 LeMans race. I do hope that it becomes documented on film some how, some day in the future. Reading my copy of the penultimate book by Friedman; Daytona, the Racing Cobras is an incredible trip to a different time. Not so far different than the time that will be depicted in the movie,  but a different chapter of the Shelby story and one that should not be tossed aside.

Edited by falcongtho3

15 minutes ago, falcongtho3 said:

I've always been a Daytona Coupe fan, and have though Peter Brocks work was amazing. The Daytona did win the US the 1965 would Mfg. Cup, it also won its' class (4th overall)in the 1964 LeMans race. I do hope that it becomes documented on film some how, some day in the future. Reading my copy of the penultimate book by Friedman; Daytona, the Racing Cobras is an incredible trip to a different time. Not so far different than the time that will be depicted in the movie,  but a different chapter of the Shelby story and one that should not be tossed aside.

Nothing is cooler than actually talking to Brock in person.  I haven't been for a while but he was a regular at the Vegas Cars And Coffee and its successor.  He told stories that weren't usually mentioned.  And "the rest of the story" about the pit fire.

maybe someday the Pete Brock story will be told. He certainly was an important part of Shelby History but he also accomplished a lot outside of Shelby on his own. He was a talented designer of many things. Cars, as well as,  a successful foray in to hang glider design and the BRE story should be told some day. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, John Worthen said:

Hello all,

I work for a website called TheRoadToMyRide.com. We have an exclusive interview with Peter Brock that was recently shot at SEMA. We hope you will view and share it. Thank you.

https://theroadtomyride.com/tag/peter-brock/

1 hour ago, John Worthen said:

Hello all,

I work for a website called TheRoadToMyRide.com. We have an exclusive interview with Peter Brock that was recently shot at SEMA. We hope you will view and share it. Thank you.

https://theroadtomyride.com/tag/peter-brock/

Your guy, Michael Lee had a great interview with Peter Brock the designer and builder of that very rare and famous race car: Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe.  I watched all six of those cool and very informative interviews with Mr. Brock and I consider those interviews some of the best I’ve seen!    Thanks to you, Michael Lee and of course to the famous designer and builder Peter Brock, and also to (the open road to my ride) for this great interview for all us car guys to enjoy!    One of the best yet!    :thumbsup:             Mongoose

I'll probably pick it up Tuesday at Target when it comes out. They've got a booklet that comes with their version of the release.

It'll probably get locked out of the Oscars tonight, except in maybe one or two technical areas. Having seen Joker and Once Upon A Time In Hollyweird, I'd say FvF deserves to win everything, but these other two are a very disturbed waste of time.

39 minutes ago, falcongtho3 said:

I'll probably pick it up Tuesday at Target when it comes out. They've got a booklet that comes with their version of the release.

It'll probably get locked out of the Oscars tonight, except in maybe one or two technical areas. Having seen Joker and Once Upon A Time In Hollyweird, I'd say FvF deserves to win everything, but these other two are a very disturbed waste of time.

Hey Falcon, Ford VS Ferrari already won two of the awards tonight for Film Editing and also Sound Editing so far with one hour still to go.   Also, I just purchased off of ebay for a little over &10. dollars including tax and free shipping a brand new CD of FvF....     :peelout:

Well, I finally saw it yesterday with my mother on her birthday. She’s a huge car nut. 

Thankfully I had already seen the two documentaries beforehand. They filled in all the “real” stuff that the movie left out. 

Fabulous show nonetheless. It’s a MUST SEE on the big screen with surround sound though. 

My only critique would be like some others have said....Damon wasn’t the right guy to play Carroll. :shrug: But...Bale was a spot on Ken Miles!!

3 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Well, I finally saw it yesterday with my mother on her birthday. She’s a huge car nut. 

Thankfully I had already seen the two documentaries beforehand. They filled in all the “real” stuff that the movie left out. 

Fabulous show nonetheless. It’s a MUST SEE on the big screen with surround sound though. 

My only critique would be like some others have said....Damon wasn’t the right guy to play Carroll. :shrug: But...Bale was a spot on Ken Miles!!

:airquote:  “Opinions”, everyone has one, I loved the movie and got a CD of it...  :rating:

18 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Ya even my wife said Damon wasn`t a good pick for Shelby he was too short to start with  Bale should have won an Oscar for his part in this film.