TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT vs SGT350

Big Al

I have an 07SGT and have seen them listed as just SGT and SGT350.  Are they one and the same or is there a difference between them?  I don't refer to mine as the 350 because I have thought there was a difference.  What exactly does the 350 represent?

As someone fairly new to the Shelby community (I bought mine about a year ago), I know it is the 40th anniversary edition of the SGT, but there have been SGT350 editions before 1967.  I would appreciate a history lesson on all this.  I know you all have so much knowledge on these cars that I'll be fully informed after the discussion dies down!

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I have an 07SGT and have seen them listed as just SGT and SGT350.  Are they one and the same or is there a difference between them?  I don't refer to mine as the 350 because I have thought there was a difference.  What exactly does the 350 represent?

As someone fairly new to the Shelby community (I bought mine about a year ago), I know it is the 40th anniversary edition of the SGT, but there have been SGT350 editions before 1967.  I would appreciate a history lesson on all this.  I know you all have so much knowledge on these cars that I'll be fully informed after the discussion dies down!

Thanks!

Al,

There would have had to have been a 2007 Shelby GT350 before the question of, "what is the difference between them" could be asked.

Shelby American built the GT350 from 1965 to 1970 and again in 2011 to 2014.

Ford built their version of the GT350 in 1984 and again in 2015 to 2019

Hope this helps.

Steven

29 minutes ago, SAI-Steven said:

Al,

There would have had to have been a 2007 Shelby GT350 before the question of, "what is the difference between them" could be asked.

Shelby American built the GT350 from 1965 to 1970 and again in 2011 to 2014.

Ford built their version of the GT350 in 1984 and again in 2015 to 2019

Hope this helps.

Steven

Thanks for the info.  So what would be the difference between the '67 SGT350 (that you said Shelby built) and the '67 SGT?

And to clarify, the '84 and '15-'19 versions of the GT350 were not Shelby's?

12 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Thanks for the info.  So what would be the difference between the '67 SGT350 (that you said Shelby built) and the '67 SGT?

IN '67 there was the GT350 such as mine seen below and the GT500.  IF you want more history on the early cars go here: http://www.saac.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=l9ohiboe635dh7a28v6apq7n92;wwwRedirect

1967 GT350/GT500: http://www.saac.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=l9ohiboe635dh7a28v6apq7n92&board=31.0

Shelby0213-1.jpg

3 hours ago, cobradad said:

IN '67 there was the GT350 such as mine seen below and the GT500.  IF you want more history on the early cars go here: http://www.saac.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=l9ohiboe635dh7a28v6apq7n92;wwwRedirect

1967 GT350/GT500: http://www.saac.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=l9ohiboe635dh7a28v6apq7n92&board=31.0

Shelby0213-1.jpg

Really Nice!  👍🏻

Beautiful 67 '350.  What Shelby number?

Note to Big Al: there is no 1967 SGT, only Ford Mustang GT and Shelby GT350 and GT500.   This is a good time to read up on the classic Shelby cars from any number of books and to get a copy, if you can find one, of the Shelby magazine that covers the 2007 SGT.😎

"And to clarify, the '84 and '15-'19 versions of the GT350 were not Shelby's?"

Those were built by Ford and never saw the Shelby factory. You'll find countless pages of discussions on the site about what is and what isn't a Shelby; and I suppose it'll never end :shrug:.

Edited by SoCalSGT

16 hours ago, Big Al said:

Yes and no. The 1984 Ford Mustang GT with the GT350 appearance package was not licensed nor approved by Carroll Shelby so technically it is not a 'Shelby'.

The 2015-19 Ford built Shelby GT350's are recognized as a 'Shelby' as they were approved by and licensed by Carroll Shelby. 

In the simplest of terms there are Shelby built Shelby's and there are Ford built Shelby's. Each have their pluses and minuses.

Steven

14 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

Beautiful 67 '350.  What Shelby number?

Note to Big Al: there is no 1967 SGT, only Ford Mustang GT and Shelby GT350 and GT500.   This is a good time to read up on the classic Shelby cars from any number of books and to get a copy, if you can find one, of the Shelby magazine that covers the 2007 SGT.😎

Thanks. it's #2928 and can be found in both of the last 2 registries.

Clarence

1 hour ago, 66GT350PS said:

Was the Shelby at SAAC 43 in Sanoma last year?

No, unfortunately I had another event scheduled for that weekend. The last convention I went to was down at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana for SAAC 38. Parade and open track events were fun even if I was being blown away by the newer Shelby's passing me on the straightaways. 😎

DSC_0043.2.jpg

I remember reading a while back, and correct me if I'm wrong, that SA didn't have the rights to use the "GT350" name for their new pre-title 07-08's and used "Shelby GT" instead?

2 hours ago, cobradad said:

No, unfortunately I had another event scheduled for that weekend. The last convention I went to was down at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana for SAAC 38. Parade and open track events were fun even if I was being blown away by the newer Shelby's passing me on the straightaways. 😎

DSC_0043.2.jpg

What a great shot! I was there at California Speedway too with my 2011 GT350 shipped over from Hawaii.  It sure was a fun road course and track to play on.  Afterwards, wife and I cruised up Pacific Coast Hwy and 101 from San Diego to San Francisco with stops in Santa Barbara, San Simeon, Monterey, San Francisco and up to Lake Tahoe before sending the Shelby bcak home.  

1 hour ago, 66GT350PS said:

What a great shot! I was there at California Speedway too with my 2011 GT350 shipped over from Hawaii.  It sure was a fun road course and track to play on.  Afterwards, wife and I cruised up Pacific Coast Hwy and 101 from San Diego to San Francisco with stops in Santa Barbara, San Simeon, Monterey, San Francisco and up to Lake Tahoe before sending the Shelby bcak home.  

Mahalo Nui Loa. My son was up in the stands taking pictures of the sessions and caught me trying to stay out of every ones way. 😃Awesome bringing your car over! If I remember right there were quite a few cars that came over from Hawaii (my second home away from home) Sounds like you spent your time well traveling. I took hundreds of pictures, who knows I may have caught yours in there somewhere.

Clarence

3 hours ago, BlackSGT said:

I remember reading a while back, and correct me if I'm wrong, that SA didn't have the rights to use the "GT350" name for their new pre-title 07-08's and used "Shelby GT" instead?

What you read is incorrect. Carroll Shelby Licensing holds the rights to the GT350 & GT500 trademarks. Ford motor has a license to use these trademarks but certainly does not own them.

Steven

Like Steve said, Carroll Shelby Licensing has a number of licensed trademarks, including GT350, GT350R, GT500, GT500KR, Series 1.  You can find more details on the CSL web site.  Ford and CSL share the use of Cobra, but use different trademarks.

2 hours ago, BlackSGT said:

Thank you Steve and 66GT350PS for clarifying. So why was it named Shelby GT and not GT350? The must be a story :) 

I think that’s a great question, and I would love to see the answer to it !       Some of the information that originally came out concerning these cool 2nd generation original Shelbys  that were built with the cooperation between Ford and Carroll Shelby’s Plant in Los Vegas, just like the original ones were built can become kind of confusing at times.!   I to thought they were going to be called GT350s!!     It still comes down to a lack of information , promotion, and verification of these cool  under-valued cars which are currently a great (Bang for the Buck)!!!!  J.M.O.        So Steve, is there a story here or not?????    :drop:       Thanks!

10 hours ago, Mongoose said:

I think that’s a great question, and I would love to see the answer to it !       Some of the information that originally came out concerning these cool 2nd generation original Shelbys  that were built with the cooperation between Ford and Carroll Shelby’s Plant in Los Vegas, just like the original ones were built can become kind of confusing at times.!   I to thought they were going to be called GT350s!!     It still comes down to a lack of information , promotion, and verification of these cool  under-valued cars which are currently a great (Bang for the Buck)!!!!  J.M.O.        So Steve, is there a story here or not?????    :drop:       Thanks!

Yes there certainly is a story and a story that probably is best left untold for the time being.

Let me add its not that exciting of a story, basically just business decisions involving SAI, CSL & FMC.

Steve

5 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Yes there certainly is a story and a story that probably is best left untold for the time being.

Let me add its not that exciting of a story, basically just business decisions involving SAI, CSL & FMC.

Steve

Thanks alot for replying, Steve!    I suppose it’s like Politics at times and becomes a little messy and tied up with things like licensing between said companies and not stepping on someone’s toes or forcing the issue!  Some day I would love to hear the unbiased story behind all this!!!   LOL    :thumbsup:       Thanks again for your time, Steve!  :)

Later!            “MONGOOSE”     :peelout:

21 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Steve

Thanks Steve, guess we'll read about it in a book someday, many years from now lol.