TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front License Plate

I just bought my first Shelby GT350.  I haven't checked with the DMV yet for my location , but I'm wondering who else put a front license plate on their Shelby?  There isn't a place for it and I'm not happy about drilling into my car.  I'm hoping with this special type of car that it is okay with just having the back plate.  What did everyone else do?

1 hour ago, Dave Seiler said:

I just bought my first Shelby GT350.  I haven't checked with the DMV yet for my location , but I'm wondering who else put a front license plate on their Shelby?  There isn't a place for it and I'm not happy about drilling into my car.  I'm hoping with this special type of car that it is okay with just having the back plate.  What did everyone else do?

There are license plate brackets that you can buy that don't drill into the car but bolt on from under the car. Search on American Muscle,  LMR and others. Maybe Shelly has them, too. And they can hide the plate under the car too.

You don't say where you live but in general you will fit into one of the following three catagories:

1.  A front plate is not required or only required in certain circumstances.  The "certain circumstance" in Nevada is that if the front mounting bracket is present the plate must be attached.  If the bracket is not present it is not required.  For our Honda CRV the dealer was happy to attach the bracket if we wanted to have a front plate but was fine with our request to leave it off.

2.  Your state badly wants you to have a front plate, but if it isn't there, in general it will be tolerated, but like a burned out tail light, can be used as proximate cause for a traffic stop if you have any other suspicious reason that they can't stop you for.  When I was in college I worked for a drunk driving program and most of our stops were for equipment issues. 

3. Your state will require it and you will eventually get a ticket without it.  If the bracket isn't present you will have to add it.  (Note that these states may also exclude older vehicles for which there is no provision, e.g., a Shelby Cobra (or replica) but will require it for a modern vintage vehicle for which there is a clear provision for the plate.  Ford vehicles ALL come with the mounting bracket, some dealers may not attach it and in this class of state some may do it for you.   But purchasing a vehicle from out of state without a front plate will not excuse you from putting one on.

Edited by twobjshelbys

• 2 months later...

The bracket I bought for my 2016 came from here: http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/2015-mustang-bracket/

It is adhesive mounted and I haven't had any issues in 8500 plus miles.  It's not the easiest to remove and reattach but there's always some compromise.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, Dave Seiler said:

Welcome to Team Shelby Dave!   I too needed a no drill front license plate holder for my 08 Shelby GT!  I just recently bought mine through the Shelby Store and they sent me one from “Craig’s Custom Mustang Brackets”!    It was very nicely done out of Aluminum with stainless hardware!    If your interested in this (No drill Bracket), you can reach Craig’s Custom Brackets at www.ccmustangbrackets.com or at ccmustangbrackets@verizon.net    Hope this helps you out, and enjoy your new Shelby GT350!!   :thumbsup:

P.S.    My no drill bracket doesn’t use any type of adhesive for it’s holding power!!    

Later!          “MONGOOSE”     :peelout:

• 3 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 3:55 PM, Gus Ostermann said:

The bracket I bought for my 2016 came from here: http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/2015-mustang-bracket/

It is adhesive mounted and I haven't had any issues in 8500 plus miles.  It's not the easiest to remove and reattach but there's always some compromise.

I bought the same plate for my 2018 GT 350. Work great! No problems, but only 2500 miles on it.