TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The New Shelby GT 500...........

David Hawkins

3 hours ago, SoCalSGT said:

Steven,

Personally, I prefer the new automatics over the manuals. And with the paddle shifters one gets the best of both worlds. But, they really need to rethink that silly transmission knob instead of a gear shift...just sayin'....................

I hear you. I was with Corporate BMW back when they released the i-Drive knob on the center console and although it didn't control the transmission that knob was a huge pain in the rear. Not that it didn't work as designed it was that it wasn't intuitive to the drivers and would constantly get bumped while driving. I can only imagine the nightmare it would have been back then if it did control the transmission.

In some ways I'm surprised that the auto manufacturers lawyers haven't stepped in, just look at the many deaths Jeep has caused with their bump stick shifter. 

Sometimes engineers are their own worst enemy, trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

Steve

10 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

You do know that Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, BMW all sell more auto trans cars compared to manual trans?

You do know that GM sells more automatic Corvettes compared to m/t Corvettes?

You do know that Ford sells more automatic transmission Mustang's compared to m/t Mustangs?

While it would be nice to have both trans available but if Ford needed to pick one over the other its the buyers who choose automatics. Ford is just giving buyers what they want.

Steven

PS- I agree on the painted bumper and I suspect Ford has heard plenty about this so lets see if they respond by applying some extra paint.

A Ferrari F430 or a 360 with a stick sells for 30% more than the same car with a F1 transmission.  There's a big premium on F430 Ferrari's (The last Ferrari's that had a MT) with sticks.  There's a reason why the MT Ferrari's command a big premium.

Ford should remain loyal to their demographics and at least offer a stick to the long time purists who grew up with a MT and now have the disposable income to "want what they want".  I'm one of those buyers and a new GT500 with no stick means I'm not gonna buy it.   

I'll be  look at getting one of the latest incarnation of GT350's or maybe another older Ford product with at stick like a Ford GT or maybe a 60's Shelby with a stick.

How can a Shelby have no stick? :doh:

QSS  

Edited by QuickSilverShelby

In the recent Mustang Times, the new GT500 was featured, and the lack of stick was mentioned, and I believe it was someone with Ford that commented that a stick option might be available in the future (or something along those lines).  So, Ford is apparently listening, and who knows, maybe it becomes an option next year.

13 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

How can a Shelby have no stick? :doh:

QSS  

Well the regular production 2006-07 GTH cars did not have a manual transmission nor did the 2016 GTH cars, are they not Shelby's? 

No 2010-14 Shelby Raptors had a manual transmission option, are they not Shelby's?

No 2016-19 Shelby F150's had a a manual transmission, are they not Shelby's?

No 2017-19 Shelby Raptor's had a manual transmission, are they not Shelby's?

Try telling the  many SGT, GTC, GTE, SS, Terlingua, GT350, GTS, Cobra owners that their vehicle needs a manual transmission to be considered a Shelby.

Just pointing out that a manual transmission does not make a Shelby a Shelby and who knows what the 2021 or 2022 GT500 may add to the build list.

Steve :)

4 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Well the regular production 2006-07 GTH cars did not have a manual transmission nor did the 2016 GTH cars, are they not Shelby's? 

No 2010-14 Shelby Raptors had a manual transmission option, are they not Shelby's?

No 2016-19 Shelby F150's had a a manual transmission, are they not Shelby's?

No 2017-19 Shelby Raptor's had a manual transmission, are they not Shelby's?

Try telling the  many SGT, GTC, GTE, SS, Terlingua, GT350, GTS, Cobra owners that their vehicle needs a manual transmission to be considered a Shelby.

Just pointing out that a manual transmission does not make a Shelby a Shelby and who knows what the 2021 or 2022 GT500 may add to the build list.

BINGO!

10 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Cmon Steve, we both know that during the 2006 GT-H run there were 4 manual transmissions and during the 2007 GT-H run there were 17 manual transmissions and during the 2016 GT-H run there were 18 MT cars.  I searched for a year before I found one of those manual transmission GT-H cars back in 2007 and it still sits in my garage.

I guess I am a "old time purist" because I believe that Ford's halo Mustang should absolutely have a MT.  I paid a premium when I bought my GT-H MT car and MT's always command a premium.  Fords, Ferrari's or what ever the make.  I don't think that automatic cars are not "Shelby's", I just don't understand why Ford has decided to cast aside 55 years of history and not offer a MT in a Shelby offering, especially to the purchasing demographic such as me.  I assume that they will still offer a MT in the Mustang in 2020?

Just my thoughts on the subject.

QSS

The move away from manual transmissions to AT in performance cars has been going on with the exotics out of europe for some years.  Ferrai, Lamborghini, Maserati, McClaren  and other high horsepower toys do not have manuals, just paddle shifter auto.  Porsche still has a stick, for now.  But then there is the American muscle car and that is a different story to old time purists.  They feel betrayed like the Ferrari fans were after 2011 when those cars dropped the manual.

One point of view/explanation that I found:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-17/why-can-t-you-get-your-300-000-supercar-with-a-stick-shift

4 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

The move away from manual transmissions to AT in performance cars has been going on with the exotics out of europe for some years.  Ferrai, Lamborghini, Maserati, McClaren  and other high horsepower toys do not have manuals, just paddle shifter auto.  Porsche still has a stick, for now.  But then there is the American muscle car and that is a different story to old time purists.  They feel betrayed like the Ferrari fans were after 2011 when those cars dropped the manual.

One point of view/explanation that I found:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-17/why-can-t-you-get-your-300-000-supercar-with-a-stick-shift

A good article on the different trannys, but for me I don't care for the paddle shifters, or that the Auto is faster then a stick!   I brought myself up from day one driving a stick shift, and I wouldn't have it any other way!    I enjoy the feeling of control and fun that a stick shift gives you that a Auto doesn't!!!   To me it's a real "BLAST" pulling gears with a good "HURST" shifter and you can have all those paddle-shifters you want, because there not any fun to me!    Been there, done that!     J.M.O.    Later!     "GOOSE"       :peelout:

7 hours ago, Mongoose said:

A good article on the different trannys, but for me I don't care for the paddle shifters, or that the Auto is faster then a stick!   I brought myself up from day one driving a stick shift, and I wouldn't have it any other way!    I enjoy the feeling of control and fun that a stick shift gives you that a Auto doesn't!!!   To me it's a real "BLAST" pulling gears with a good "HURST" shifter and you can have all those paddle-shifters you want, because there not any fun to me!    Been there, done that!     J.M.O.    Later!     "GOOSE"       :peelout:

A - freakin - men to that brother.  That is exactly how I feel as well.  A stick is just waaaaay more fun.  Does it really matter if you can shave 2 tenths of a second off your 0 to 60 time with the paddles?  It does on the track but if you're on the street, who gives a rats ass?

QSS

23 hours ago, Fat Boss said:

Didn't Carroll's own personal Cobra have an automatic?

Sure did along with a few others including the fastest street Shelby ever built. the twin supercharged Supersnake Cobra.

The fastest Shelby ever was equipped with an automatic and no one ever said it wasn't a Shelby ;)

13 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

Cmon Steve, we both know that during the 2006 GT-H run there were 4 manual transmissions and during the 2007 GT-H run there were 17 manual transmissions and during the 2016 GT-H run there were 18 MT cars.  I searched for a year before I found one of those manual transmission GT-H cars back in 2007 and it still sits in my garage.

I guess I am a "old time purist" because I believe that Ford's halo Mustang should absolutely have a MT.  I paid a premium when I bought my GT-H MT car and MT's always command a premium.  Fords, Ferrari's or what ever the make.  I don't think that automatic cars are not "Shelby's", I just don't understand why Ford has decided to cast aside 55 years of history and not offer a MT in a Shelby offering, especially to the purchasing demographic such as me.  I assume that they will still offer a MT in the Mustang in 2020?

Just my thoughts on the subject.

QSS

And thats exactly why I used the words "regular production GTH cars" as I know of no one who walked into a Hertz Rental location and rented a manual transmission GTH :)

Just in case anyone isn't catching on I'm just giving QSS a hard time in jest and have no problem with someone wanting to row their own gears.

Now here is something for everyone to ponder, have you ever seen a manual transmission electric car?  If you are a die-hard m/trans person you may  just want to stash away your m/trans car as who knows what the future holds. 

Steve

9 hours ago, Mongoose said:

2 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

A - freakin - men to that brother.  That is exactly how I feel as well.  A stick is just waaaaay more fun.  Does it really matter if you can shave 2 tenths of a second off your 0 to 60 time with the paddles?  It does on the track but if you're on the street, who gives a rats ass?

QSS

Have you guys ever driven a paddle shift performance automatic? If not- and it doesn't sound like you have- you're missing out. 

Hey all you car guys,   I think it's about time for a little subject change and a more light hearted topic!!  :banvictory:    So, with that said I'm posting some pretty "COOL" pics of a couple of "RAD"  pickups!   This is a Adult limited collection from Hot Wheels and it consists of two, Custom Classic Trucks, one is a very cool 59 EL CAMINO, and the other one is a very cool 59 CHEVY APACHE!!   :drool:   America currently has a big love affair in these really cool old trucks and they are sought after, and usually get customized or in some cases left stock!  The 59 EL CAMINO has MOONEYES RACING TEAM on the side, and the 59 APACHE has the RED HEADED WOODPECKER on the door smoking his STOGIE !!     LOL.  :thumbsup:      Hope all you guys enjoy the pics!        

Sorry guys,  I wrongly posted these pics on the wrong site, I guess I was up to late and getting tired!      Later guys!               "MONGOOSE"       :peelout:

IMG_0817__1551306173_46493__1551306478_64446.jpg

IMG_0816__1551306298_70028.jpg

IMG_0813__1551306435_69398.jpg

Edited by Mongoose
posted on the wrong site

20 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Hey all you car guys,   I think it's about time for a little subject change and a more light hearted topic!!  :banvictory:    So, with that said I'm posting some pretty "COOL" pics of a couple of "RAD"  pickups!   This is a Adult limited collection from Hot Wheels and it consists of two, Custom Classic Trucks, one is a very cool 59 EL CAMINO, and the other one is a very cool 59 CHEVY APACHE!!   :drool:   America currently has a big love affair in these really cool old trucks and they are sought after, and usually get customized or in some cases left stock!  The 59 EL CAMINO has MOONEYES RACING TEAM on the side, and the 59 APACHE has the RED HEADED WOODPECKER on the door smoking his STOGIE !!     LOL.  :thumbsup:      Hope all you guys enjoy the pics!               Later guys!               "MONGOOSE"       :peelout:

IMG_0817__1551306173_46493__1551306478_64446.jpg

IMG_0816__1551306298_70028.jpg

IMG_0813__1551306435_69398.jpg

:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Just in case anyone isn't catching on I'm just giving QSS a hard time in jest and have no problem with someone wanting to row their own gears.

Now here is something for everyone to ponder, have you ever seen a manual transmission electric car?  If you are a die-hard m/trans person you may  just want to stash away your m/trans car as who knows what the future holds. 

Steve

Yes, yes I have.  I've gone for a ride in my friend's 1971 Porsche 914 that he converted to electric.  It's got the manual trans still in it.  It's also got a steering "wheel" from a DC-8.

File photo of what he steers with.

maxresdefault.jpg

Driving a quick shifting auto trans in manual mode does take getting used to in order to get the full fun factor. Remember for some of us it’s been 40 plus years of driving a stick. Habits are hard to break is all I can say. I had a 06 GT-H and that car wasn’t meant to be driven in manual mode  because of its slow shifting nature . The Shelby GT500 will have a fast shifting trans and have a totally different driving experience. 

But I think if possible the 2020 Shelby GT500  should have the stick as a choice. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

22 hours ago, Secondo said:

Have you guys ever driven a paddle shift performance automatic? If not- and it doesn't sound like you have- you're missing out. 

The '17 Mustang I rented a couple years ago (wasn't at an airport that had a Shelby to rent) had paddle shifters, and a friend of mine told me they were really great cuz he had them in one of his cars, but since I had no idea what to do with them, I didn't play with them and just stayed with the automatic.  I was bummed it was only auto tho, because the Mustang I rented a few years before was a stick.

19 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Driving a quick shifting auto trans in manual mode does take getting used to in order to get the full fun factor. Remember for some of us it’s been 40 plus years of driving a stick. Habits are hard to break is all I can say.

But I think if possible the 2020 Shelby GT500  should have the stick as a choice. 

This.

4 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Driving a quick shifting auto trans in manual mode does take getting used to in order to get the full fun factor. Remember for some of us it’s been 40 plus years of driving a stick. Habits are hard to break is all I can say. I had a 06 GT-H and that car wasn’t meant to be driven in manual mode  because of its slow shifting nature . The Shelby GT500 will have a fast shifting trans and have a totally different driving experience. 

Couldn't agree more...…:thumbsup:

Still trying to confirm authenticity.  Said to be from a Ford employee, but considering secrecy clauses, not sure about it.  It seems to be circulating without verification with performance stats and prices. Not wanting to continue a possible fake news report, I will wait before posting more .