TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The New Shelby GT 500...........

David Hawkins

1 hour ago, SoCalSGT said:

I was wondering the same thing. Can you get it without the wing? 

Yeah, the wing and the carbon fiber wheels are only for the top end package, don't remember what it is called off the top of my head.

16 minutes ago, SoCalSGT said:

Ever tried resting your hand on a knob? It's just wrong. I drove my friend's Expedition with a shift knob...awful.

I don't rest my hand on the gear selector, but trying to find the knob quickly to shift to reverse or drive will definitely be a challenge.  I'm betting someone is already planning an add-on shifter for that very reason.

yeah its gonna be fun watching somebody try and parallel park 750+ hp with that wonky Radio Dial Shifter.......or try and "rock" the car to get it out of loose gravel, mud or snow........or what about the guy sitting in traffic or driving slowly and his idiot girlfriend reaches over without asking and switches that Big Radio Dial from "D" for Dance Music to "R" for Rap Music, or "N" for New wave Music, or "P" for Pop Music...........

From a tactile or intuitive Feedback Loop there is nothing intuitive about turning a dial left to right to go forward  or backwards..........there is a reason a parachute has a Rip Cord and not a Rip Dial......complex Motor Movements go out the window real quick when under stress. They should have stuck with a Stick Selector in the console and Paddle's on the Wheel, its more intuitive......but hey it freed up console space so a millennial hipster has room to  plunk down his Iphone, latte and avocado toast in the console area.............

Edited by mhr1961

45 minutes ago, SoCalSGT said:

Yep...I have room for all those things right now, along with the shifter, although I don't usually partake of avo toast and lattes, but there's room if I did!

Cool, glad to know we have some young members still around and not just a bunch of crusty old boomers.......just kidding about the latte and avocado toast thing. Nice GT350.

17 hours ago, Bookwyrm said:

From what I heard in at least one interview the 10r80 couldn't handle the torque,  particularly with any margin for inevitable upgrades, so they went with the DCT based on the one they've been using in the GT and GT4 mustangs instead. Personally, I think it's about damned time they got a DCT in a mustang. Best of both worlds for drag, track, and roads.

You do realize there are A LOT OF MUSTANGS 2018-2019 w/ the 10r80 and using Whipples with anywhere from 700hp-850hp so the 10r80 can handle it. 

I am just excited the GT500 has an Automatic

So what. The published spec from Ford and GM on the Ford 10r80/GM 10L80 is 590 ft-lbs of torque. If you go beyond that with Hp adders that deliver torque that exceeds the max recommended torque and it holds up then fine.......... but you are likely going to get premature or catastrophic failure if you exceed those numbers. Yeah,  let’s trust anecdotal “evidence” and claims  from the internet ………..instead of 2 large teams of Engineers from both GM and Ford that jointly  designed and tested this transmission for several years.........

1 hour ago, 39Mustang said:

You do realize there are A LOT OF MUSTANGS 2018-2019 w/ the 10r80 and using Whipples with anywhere from 700hp-850hp so the 10r80 can handle it. 

I am just excited the GT500 has an Automatic

There’s a big difference between “can handle it when done by aftermarket shops” and being able to handle the torque under factory powertrain warranty liability. Just look at all the 07-12 GT500 tranny issues (which I’m sure Ford doesn’t want to repeat).

Besides, I’ll take the control and speed of a DCT over a straight up 10 speed any day. The 10r80 will see plenty of use in the rest of Ford and GM’s vehicles. 

31 minutes ago, Bookwyrm said:

There’s a big difference between “can handle it when done by aftermarket shops” and being able to handle the torque under factory powertrain warranty liability. Just look at all the 07-12 GT500 tranny issues (which I’m sure Ford doesn’t want to repeat).

Besides, I’ll take the control and speed of a DCT over a straight up 10 speed any day. The 10r80 will see plenty of use in the rest of Ford and GM’s vehicles. 

+1

3 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Cool, glad to know we have some young members still around and not just a bunch of crusty old boomers.......just kidding about the latte and avocado toast thing. Nice GT350.

:stirpot:      

So the trans selection is based on track handling and torque inmits.  There is hope for a manual.  I would expect, like the DCT, it will be something colaborated with GM for those potential Z 'Vette buyers that want a manual too.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a25889205/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-dct-manual-possible/

It is not necessary that they collaborate on a manual transmission, most if not all of the collaboration has been on the automatic which is the biggest market, but anything is possible. Quite frankly, I think 3 pedals will be almost non existent in the market within 5 to 7 years for passenger cars.

Edited by mhr1961

2 hours ago, tekheavy said:

Craig Jackson just bought VIN # 1 at BJ for 1.2 Mil.

Charity Auction!!!       :thumbsup:                               

6 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

49312107_293501318022782_2153820320848459773_n.jpg

The FASTED Color for a Shelby.

I hope not their attempt at selling these bright Green's has failed both times. I and many others would prefer the 67 Shelby Lime Green which is similar to Legend Lime which was extremely popular

1968_00196_01[1].jpg