TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The New Shelby GT 500...........

David Hawkins

"And again, the car was designed to be very fast on a track. Which is really cool. If you want your shifter for cruising to cars and coffee car show, buy another car that better fits your style and stop whining on here."

I don't care that it's an automatic, I JUST DON'T WANT A KNOB! And I'm not whining, just stating a fact. I like resting my forearm on the shifter; on a knob, not so much. Maybe I can get Weather-Tec to build a shifter to fit in the cup holder like they do the cell phone bracket :shrug:

13 hours ago, carnut12 said:

I just rented a Ford Edge that had the gear selector knob, once I got used to it I did not mind it at all.  The GT500 has paddle shifters, you only have to turn the knob a few times every time you drive, I do not see what the big deal is.  What makes the current automatic gear controller better?  They serve the same purpose, they both put the car in drive, reverse, neutral, and park.  One turns and the other goes forward and backward.

I don't have any problem with paddles shifters in performance cars.  Technology is technology.  So instead of a goofy looking rotary dial on the console, why not just use electronic options on the steering wheel to put the car in Park, reverse, or drive?  That would make a lot more sense and you never have to take your hands off the steering wheel.  It could even be a small rotary dial which would look cool.

11 hours ago, Secondo said:

The whole purpose of the new GT500's transmission is track and drag racing that requires very quick shifting. Moving a lever shifter takes time and driver attention away from piloting the car. You naysayers are completely missing the point. Oh well. Jim Owens said if you want to shift gears manually, the GT350 is still available for you. But you'll always lose to the GT500. :hysterical:

And again, the car was designed to be very fast on a track. Which is really cool. If you want your shifter for cruising to cars and coffee car show, buy another car that better fits your style and stop whining on here. 

I'll be curious to see if the GT500 actually can go well on a road course for more than one lap.  The '13 and '14 cars had massive power and technically beat the Camaro around Laguna Seca, but only barely.  And after their hot lap, the brakes were cooked and the lap times fell sharply.  The Camaro was consistently fast.  Also the blower creates massive heat so I would expect the new 500 to also have these challenges to deal with.  One lap does not win races.  

2 hours ago, ViperNC said:

I don't have any problem with paddles shifters in performance cars.  Technology is technology.  So instead of a goofy looking rotary dial on the console, why not just use electronic options on the steering wheel to put the car in Park, reverse, or drive?  That would make a lot more sense and you never have to take your hands off the steering wheel.  It could even be a small rotary dial which would look cool.

I'll be curious to see if the GT500 actually can go well on a road course for more than one lap.  The '13 and '14 cars had massive power and technically beat the Camaro around Laguna Seca, but only barely.  And after their hot lap, the brakes were cooked and the lap times fell sharply.  The Camaro was consistently fast.  Also the blower creates massive heat so I would expect the new 500 to also have these challenges to deal with.  One lap does not win races.  

excellent points.

19 hours ago, Secondo said:

You're not going to really benefit from an automatic DCT with paddleshifters in a passenger/SUV vehicle designed for getting you from point A to B in an everyday non-race environment, so it makes no sense to compare it to a performance car's DCT. The whole purpose of the new GT500's transmission is track and drag racing that requires very quick shifting. Moving a lever shifter takes time and driver attention away from piloting the car. You naysayers are completely missing the point. Oh well. Jim Owens said if you want to shift gears manually, the GT350 is still available for you. But you'll always lose to the GT500. :hysterical:

And again, the car was designed to be very fast on a track. Which is really cool. If you want your shifter for cruising to cars and coffee car show, buy another car that better fits your style and stop whining on here. 

Sean, your still (Missing the POINT), you just don’t get it!!       There’s a lot more to a car than just total speed!     Some day if your “Lucky” you just might be able to become a “REAL”  car guy yourself and become “ONE” with the car!!      J.M.O.            Sean: have a “GREAT DAY” and a better “Tomorrow”!!     :)

9 hours ago, ViperNC said:

Edited by Mongoose
cancel posting

8 hours ago, ViperNC said:

Hey Viper, you can have the “FASTEST”  and “BEST” handling car out on the track, but if you don’t have the “BEST’ and “Smartest’ , Seasoned driver behind the wheel you will lose to slower cars with better drivers!   This has been proven many times over in professional racing!!  Speed is nice, but it isn’t the only factor involved in the out-come!  Before we all judge these new cool cars lets give them a chance to prove what they can do out on the track with a professional driver like Randy Pobst may be behind the wheel!!     J.M.O.           “GOOSE”      :peelout:

1 hour ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Viper, you can have the “FASTEST”  and “BEST” handling car out on the track, but if you don’t have the “BEST’ and “Smartest’ , Seasoned driver behind the wheel you will lose to slower cars with better drivers!   This has been proven many times over in professional racing!!  Speed is nice, but it isn’t the only factor involved in the out-come!  Before we all judge these new cool cars lets give them a chance to prove what they can do out on the track with a professional driver like Randy Pobst may be behind the wheel!!     J.M.O.           “GOOSE”      :peelout:

Uh...… The comparison I mentioned above was with Randy Probst driving both the GT500 and Camaro.  He was the one who pointed out the 500 would not have lasted another lap at that pace.

11 hours ago, ViperNC said:

Great idea about the steering wheel, I am just glad they finally went to a DCT.

2 hours ago, ViperNC said:

Uh...… The comparison I mentioned above was with Randy Probst driving both the GT500 and Camaro.  He was the one who pointed out the 500 would not have lasted another lap at that pace.

Hey Viper, thanks for the come back and info!   Randy is a super test driver for some of the Mags, and he’s usually point on with his comments and doesn’t sugar coat it!   And  that is one thing I really like about him!    I know he set a number of records at the Willow Springs Raceway, and one was with the “Awesome” ZR1 Corvette, and I really appreciated what he said about that super-fast car!   He told the truth whether people like it or not!    He said it’s Scary fast and that it could lose it at any time because it’s not quite the right set-up in the rear for all that power going to the rear!   What he basically meant that the current set-up could scare the hell out of even the professional drivers that tested the car!!!        Thus, enter the Mid-Engine C08!!           Later Viper!                “GOOSE”       :peelout:

On 3/23/2019 at 7:23 PM, carnut12 said:

I just rented a Ford Edge that had the gear selector knob, once I got used to it I did not mind it at all.  The GT500 has paddle shifters, you only have to turn the knob a few times every time you drive, I do not see what the big deal is.  What makes the current automatic gear controller better?  They serve the same purpose, they both put the car in drive, reverse, neutral, and park.  One turns and the other goes forward and backward.

As far as the Manual is concerned I used to be like many of you, when I had my manual 911-S they invited me to the Porsche Driving Event, after driving the PDK on the track my thought process changed immediately, that thing was absolutely amazing.  If the DCT in the Mustang is even close some of you may change your thoughts on this subject too.  DCT is the best of both worlds, it is a MUCH better Automatic and you can drive it like a manual as well.

I love the changes Ford is making, they are finally catching up to the German Car companies!!!

With a dial on the console you have to take your eyes off the road it’s not intuitive. With a gear shift lever in the console you just push it to the right to take the trans out of sport mode. Plus with a gear shift lever in the console  you have a choice of using it to shift in manual mode. Up or down. Or you can use the paddle shifters.

Selecting gears is a critical part of driving an automobile. It’s something that you’re often doing in the dark, dozens of times a day. It needs to be completely intuitive for the newest drivers, but also needs to take generations of muscle memory into account.

Edited by mach 1 1970

2 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

With a dial on the console you have to take your eyes off the road it’s not intuitive. With a gear shift lever in the console you just push it to the right to take the trans out of sport mode. Plus with a gear shift lever in the console  you have a choice of using it to shift in manual mode. Up or down. Or you can use the paddle shifters.

Selecting gears is a critical part of driving an automobile. It’s something that you’re often doing in the dark, dozens of times a day. It needs to be completely intuitive for the newest drivers, but also needs to take generations of muscle memory into account.

Hey Slo Lane,   “Great Post”,    you said it way better then I could and I think every-body respects your comments and posts!!:thumbsup:           Later Bud!   “GOOSE”        :peelout:

Wrong again fellas!  :club:

Coming from a grocery-getter and cars and coffee crowd, you may be semi -correct, but you guys are having a tough time knowing what this car was built for and the competition it faces. The dial simply puts it in 'drive' or 'park,' 'auto' or 'automanual.' You don't have to keep using it, and when you do, the car is stopped (to engage park or drive). The center dashboard display or even a 'HUD' will tell you what you select on the dial and what gear you are in so you don't have to look down. On a track, hands are on the steering wheel at all times. You can let the car shift for you or use the paddle shifters for more control of your shift points. 

If you complain that you need something to do with your right hand, then obviously this isn't the car for you. Hey, there's always a GT350- it only comes with a manual. :thumbsup:

grinch-meme-wrongo.jpg

22 minutes ago, Secondo said:

Coming from a grocery-getter and cars and coffee crowd, you may be semi -correct, but you guys are having a tough time knowing what this car was built for and the competition it faces. The dial simply puts it in 'drive' or 'park,' 'auto' or 'automanual.' You don't have to keep using it, and when you do, the car is stopped (to engage park or drive). The center dashboard display or even a 'HUD' will tell you what you select on the dial and what gear you are in so you don't have to look down. On a track, hands are on the steering wheel at all times. You can let the car shift for you or use the paddle shifters for more control of your shift points. 

If you complain that you need something to do with your right hand, then obviously this isn't the car for you. Hey, there's always a GT350- it only comes with a manual. :thumbsup:

grinch-meme-wrongo.jpg

I still like my idea better... put the dial on the steering wheel and keep the console clean.  Example:

See the source image

I guess it really wasn't an original idea as someone has already thought of it..... but it is a much better idea!

Edited by ViperNC

3 hours ago, ViperNC said:

I still like my idea better... put the dial on the steering wheel and keep the console clean.  Example:

See the source image

I guess it really wasn't an original idea as someone has already thought of it..... but it is a much better idea!

Hey Viper, totally understand were your coming from, but if I’m being totally honest that steering wheel looks like it’s already being to busy and loaded with buttons and dials!  Just Saying!  You would have to study the layout of all controls and buttons on that steering and know them like the back of your hand with your eyes closed if you were in competitive racing and needed to adjust something in a moments notice!    J.M.O.        Later Viper!           “GOOSE”     :peelout:

12 hours ago, Secondo said:

grinch-meme-wrongo.jpg

Once you are in sport mode using the paddle shifters how to you go back to full automatic mode ?  Most cars you have to use the dial or console shifter. 

12 hours ago, Secondo said:

grinch-meme-wrongo.jpg

I understand exactly what the car was built for, and I understand exactly how the paddle shifters work, have them now and had them in the past. But you'll not convince me that a stupid knob is appropriate on the center console to engage the transmission. I've used it recently and hated it. My friend who ordered a new Expedition didn't realize it came with the knob and he's really disappointed; says he hates it. I don't mind the automatic one bit, especially being an occasional "cars and coffee" crowd member that you disparage, BUT NOT A KNOB! Just sayin'.... 

47 minutes ago, SoCalSGT said:

I understand exactly what the car was built for, and I understand exactly how the paddle shifters work, have them now and had them in the past. But you'll not convince me that a stupid knob is appropriate on the center console to engage the transmission. I've used it recently and hated it. My friend who ordered a new Expedition didn't realize it came with the knob and he's really disappointed; says he hates it. I don't mind the automatic one bit, especially being an occasional "cars and coffee" crowd member that you disparage, BUT NOT A KNOB! Just sayin'.... 

I have one in my RAM truck and hate it.....on looks alone I hate it... a shifter in any vehicle looks better than a stupid knob.

48 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Once you are in sport mode using the paddle shifters how to you go back to full automatic mode ?  Most cars you have to use the dial or console shifter. 

Press a button- and I'm guessing there will also be another way to select it from maybe the steering wheel.

2020-shelby-gt500-transmission.jpg

14 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Viper, totally understand were your coming from, but if I’m being totally honest that steering wheel looks like it’s already being to busy and loaded with buttons and dials!  Just Saying!  You would have to study the layout of all controls and buttons on that steering and know them like the back of your hand with your eyes closed if you were in competitive racing and needed to adjust something in a moments notice!    J.M.O.        Later Viper!           “GOOSE”     :peelout:

I was mainly showing that steering wheel as an example with the gear selector dial on the wheel itself.  Picture that rotary dial on the GT500 steering wheel and you get the idea.  Although for anyone one who grew up with an XBOX or Play Station, the extra buttons are not intimidating at all.  I'm guessing you have not looked at a racing steering wheel in a while.  This is what they look like:

See the source image

Edited by ViperNC

On 3/21/2019 at 2:20 AM, Mongoose said:

Thanks for the reply: shelby001!!    I was lucky enough to see the cool video of the prototype at the bash!    I’m  “OLD SCHOOL” when it comes to the two different Trannys :(Auto + Paddle, verses Manual- STICK) that are usually offered in todays vehicles!    Today, some of the buyers, all they have on their mind is fastest speed and the fastest shifter to get there, but, some of us still really “Appreciate” the old (Seat of the Pants ) feel that only the (Manual), J.M.O.  can do this for you and it also makes you more connected (Fun Factor) to the car and what your able to do with it with that “Awesome” stick in your hands!!!    The feeling of controlling that “Monster” under-neath you is very hard to duplicate, and it really gets the “Adrenaline” flowing, and it really doesn’t get better than that!!     :thumbsup:              Again, J.M.O.          

P.S.   Hey “FORD”,     Two trannys offered are a lot better then one, and you’ll get alot more buyers of your cool Shelby GT500!!    Hope your “LISTENING”!!   :thumbsup:

Later!               “MONGOOSE”            :peelout:

I totally agree with you I`am from the old school but I wouldn`t  want to come against a new G.T 500 for straight line 1/4 mile they shift faster than I can blink.

Off topic here, but has Bikeboy been on lately ?

On 3/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, Secondo said:

You're not going to really benefit from an automatic DCT with paddleshifters in a passenger/SUV vehicle designed for getting you from point A to B in an everyday non-race environment, so it makes no sense to compare it to a performance car's DCT. The whole purpose of the new GT500's transmission is track and drag racing that requires very quick shifting. Moving a lever shifter takes time and driver attention away from piloting the car. You naysayers are completely missing the point. Oh well. Jim Owens said if you want to shift gears manually, the GT350 is still available for you. But you'll always lose to the GT500. :hysterical:

Does a Smart car come with a stick shift?

51 minutes ago, shelby001 said:

I totally agree with you I`am from the old school but I wouldn`t  want to come against a new G.T 500 for straight line 1/4 mile they shift faster than I can blink.

Yup a few days ago Jim...he's busy moving.

1 hour ago, shelby001 said:

Does a Smart car come with a stick shift?

Fallacious reasoning trying to compare a Smart Car to a 2020 GT500.Two entirely different platforms and two entirely different markets…….. It's not even comparing apples to oranges………you are going straight to potato.

8 hours ago, shelby001 said:

BB was on yesterday or the day before on the C8 forum!  He just got back to his new “Digs” (Home), in Arizona and their trying to coordinate and finalize everything, like getting the air conditioners installed into his garages to keep all his “BABIES” cool!!! LOL :)    Also his garage floors were going to be Epoxy coated among other things that had to get done yet!!   He’s still around Jim, just a little busy right now!!              Later Bud!       “Old Guys Rule”!!!!!!           “GOOSE”   :peelout:

P.S.   I know the New trannies(AUTO) are faster shifting, and very hard to beat, but like I’ve always said, it’s not always about being the fastest ride, it’s more about being the very “BEST” ride and enjoying it!     Example:    2019 ZR1  to 2019 Grand Sport w/ standard tranny!       “More Bang” for the “BUCK”! :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, ViperNC said:

I was mainly showing that steering wheel as an example with the gear selector dial on the wheel itself.  Picture that rotary dial on the GT500 steering wheel and you get the idea.  Although for anyone one who grew up with an XBOX or Play Station, the extra buttons are not intimidating at all.  I'm guessing you have not looked at a racing steering wheel in a while.  This is what they look like:

See the source image

Hey Viper, yes, after seeing that wheel, I guess it has been a little while!   That is one busy “Wheel” and way to many controls for me!   If I had to use that Wheel I think I’d never see the Track, I’d be to busy pushing buttons and flipping toggle switches!!    LOL   :drop:        I’m not a high tech guy and I’m not a x-box user or play station guy, if your capable of using and racing with that steering wheel your a better Racer then I am!!    :thumbsup:           “You Win”!!:salute:        Later Blake!              “GOOSE”    :peelout:

6 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Viper, yes, after seeing that wheel, I guess it has been a little while!   That is one busy “Wheel” and way to many controls for me!   If I had to use that Wheel I think I’d never see the Track, I’d be to busy pushing buttons and flipping toggle switches!!    LOL   :drop:        I’m not a high tech guy and I’m not a x-box user or play station guy, if your capable of using and racing with that steering wheel your a better Racer then I am!!    :thumbsup:           “You Win”!!:salute:        Later Blake!              “GOOSE”    :peelout:

Makes that Hennessey wheel look simple, huh?  Ford could easily create a steering wheel for the GT500 that is intuitive to use and incorporates the gear selector dial on the wheel itself.  And then you get something that looks cool and is functional with a clean console.  Just my 2 cents, but they never asked for my opinion prior to building the car.  

14 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Fallacious reasoning trying to compare a Smart Car to a 2020 GT500.Two entirely different platforms and two entirely different markets…….. It's not even comparing apples to oranges………you are going straight to potato.

Speaking of which....

chpmini.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:54 PM, Mongoose said:

Yep, the NASCAR Cup Series at Martinsville proves that.

FYI for whoever here wants to know, Here's Jim Owens, Ford Performance Marketing Manager showcasing the new GT500. See the 3:00 mark. He says that the dial was chosen because the shift mechanism adds unnecessary weight and they wanted it to be as light as possible. No release yet on the final weight of the car.