TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Short Shifter from Ford Performance Installed!

A nice addition to the car.  Had to do it and the car yearns for it.  My family gifted it to me for Fathers Day and I finally had a cool, clear summer day to get after it.

The only reason I share this story is - this job is not best done on ramps with a creeper.  What a complete PITA!  At least the mid-shaft didn’t have to come down but, it’s tight in there!

20 years ago this would have been cake.  My midriff is “somewhat” larger than when I was 35.  Yikes.  I need to exercise more, but I digress.  This job needs a lift and BB’s Autorama is too far away. ;)

10 hours ago, Grabberlicious said:

A nice addition to the car.  Had to do it and the car yearns for it.  My family gifted it to me for Fathers Day and I finally had a cool, clear summer day to get after it.

The only reason I share this story is - this job is not best done on ramps with a creeper.  What a complete PITA!  At least the mid-shaft didn’t have to come down but, it’s tight in there!

20 years ago this would have been cake.  My midriff is “somewhat” larger than when I was 35.  Yikes.  I need to exercise more, but I digress.  This job needs a lift and BB’s Autorama is too far away. ;)

:hysterical: 

Funny, that’s the only car I haven’t done a shifter on. I really like the stocker. :headscratch: 

What am I missing? Describe the change for us!! :rockon: 

13 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

:hysterical: 

Funny, that’s the only car I haven’t done a shifter on. I really like the stocker. :headscratch: 

What am I missing? Describe the change for us!! :rockon: 

Hey there!

I had a chance to put a few miles in yesterday - we had a beautiful, clear, cool day in NJ and a really nice evening for a cruise.

The biggest impression is the reduced throw (TY Capt. Obvious!).  The shaft is shorter from the pivot-point up, dimensions below are identical.  The move through the gates seems more positive, especially where the Tremec likes it - up above 5K.  It snicks into gear more positively than the stocker.  I don't think it's just the placebo effect - it's that significant (at least to me).  The FP part has no vibration isolation - no nylon ball, no nylon isolator in the shaft weight, nuthin.  So there IS more trans noise and absolutely more feel transmitted to the shift ball.  But I like that. :drool: My wife, not so much.  :rant:  "Sorry honey".

So, I suppose it's all about preference.  For my purposes, I got what I expected and therefore am happy to endure the back-ache I had this morning from laying in the driveway on Saturday.  :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Grabberlicious said:

Hey there!

I had a chance to put a few miles in yesterday - we had a beautiful, clear, cool day in NJ and a really nice evening for a cruise.

The biggest impression is the reduced throw (TY Capt. Obvious!).  The shaft is shorter from the pivot-point up, dimensions below are identical.  The move through the gates seems more positive, especially where the Tremec likes it - up above 5K.  It snicks into gear more positively than the stocker.  I don't think it's just the placebo effect - it's that significant (at least to me).  The FP part has no vibration isolation - no nylon ball, no nylon isolator in the shaft weight, nuthin.  So there IS more trans noise and absolutely more feel transmitted to the shift ball.  But I like that. :drool: My wife, not so much.  :rant:  "Sorry honey".

So, I suppose it's all about preference.  For my purposes, I got what I expected and therefore am happy to endure the back-ache I had this morning from laying in the driveway on Saturday.  :thumbsup:

:hysterical2: 

Thank you for the specific description of improvement! Sounds awesome. 

I did an FRPP in my BOSS..... Does it look like mine? (Built for them by Barton Ind.) Cuz aren’t these tranny’s the same? 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/49646269@N05/CCfq7k

Edited by BIKEBOY

THAT - is an awesome piece of fabrication! :worship:

Upon reviewing, I was compelled to grab myself in a very obscene manner.   Amazing what turns me on these days. :drool:

The FP part isn’t quite that exciting. 

https://fordracingpartsbydonwood.com/driveline-parts/shifters/2015-2017-mustang-gt350-shifter-kit-without-knob-m-7210-m8a/#PhotoSwipe1531182414510

Edited by Grabberlicious
URL

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 7:22 PM, BIKEBOY said:

:poke::hysterical3:

I did an FRPP in my BOSS..... Does it look like mine? (Built for them by Barton Ind.) Cuz aren’t these tranny’s the same? :redcard:  YOU SAID TRANNY!!!

:hysterical2:

Transmissions between Boss and GT350 are completely different, Boss trans is a MT82 where the GT350 is a Tremec