TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2018 Shelby GT350 engine noise

Raymond54

Just wondering if any of you are experiencing some engine noise, what sounds like to me lifters in the old cars, when you do a cold start and rev the engine from 500 to 2000 RPM, it subsides some after warm up but it is still there. The dealership says that they would contact Ford hotline but they havent gotten anything back from it yet. Would like to see if any one else is having the same issue. By the way, I have had my Shelby 2 months and had 2580 miles on it when a deer came from nowhere and run in front of me. I hit it, at 70mph, on the front left fender and hood area.  the insurance said around $9k -$11K damage cost. Anyway back to the engine noise please let me know if this a normal thing. Thank you in advance.

Just a F.Y.I. : For your benefit, I would keep a very detailed record of all oil & filter changes done and any other  work done on the engine just for safe keeping, because you never know when it might come in handy!  :)

Later!

"MONGOOSE"      :peelout:

8 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

There are other threads on this. Plus it’s discussed on the interweb. 

Mine has it. I have about the same mileage. I don’t think it’s a serious thing. 

Yes I saw that after I wrote my post. Thank you very much.

2 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Just a F.Y.I. : For your benefit, I would keep a very detailed record of all oil & filter changes done and any other  work done on the engine just for safe keeping, because you never know when it might come in handy!  :)

Later!

"MONGOOSE"      :peelout:

I will do just that. Already had it to the dealership so a paper trail has begun. As soon as I get it out of the body shop I will be checking the oil and then getting oil separators on it. Thank you for your reply.

2 hours ago, Raymond54 said:

I will do just that. Already had it to the dealership so a paper trail has begun. As soon as I get it out of the body shop I will be checking the oil and then getting oil separators on it. Thank you for your reply.

Why is in the Body Shop, what happened?

I have just shy of 2k on my 5.2 and also have the same rattle at flat throttle in the same rev range.  To me, it seems like wrist-pin rattle since it subsided as soon as the engine is loaded either way.  It’s only flat throttle.  It’s nasty when the engine is cold.  I’ll search around for the other threads. 

On 6/20/2018 at 2:51 PM, Raymond54 said:

Just wondering if any of you are experiencing some engine noise, what sounds like to me lifters in the old cars, when you do a cold start and rev the engine from 500 to 2000 RPM, it subsides some after warm up but it is still there. The dealership says that they would contact Ford hotline but they havent gotten anything back from it yet. Would like to see if any one else is having the same issue. By the way, I have had my Shelby 2 months and had 2580 miles on it when a deer came from nowhere and run in front of me. I hit it, at 70mph, on the front left fender and hood area.  the insurance said around $9k -$11K damage cost. Anyway back to the engine noise please let me know if this a normal thing. Thank you in advance.

SSM 46173 Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle - 3000 RPM. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound

link:  https://ford.oemdtc.com/1622/piston-rattle-from-idle-to-3000-rpm-2016-2017-ford-mustang-gt350

Tesgt350, I was leaving a car cruise-in and two mile west of that location a deer ran out in front of me. Not even two months old and only 2580 miles on the clock my Shelby is now in the body shop getting repaired. I am still sick about it but the deer don’t come through the windshield so I insider myself lucky not getting hurt but still my Shelby had an estimate from 9-11k dollar repair. I’ll see it again in 3weeks..

Edited by Raymond54

92A2A781-BECA-40A8-999C-3F4F57E94C46.jpeg2EBEA4CC-C448-45B0-BC34-22503DB1B6B1.jpeg

Edited by Raymond54

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 5:19 PM, Raymond54 said:

Tesgt350, I was leaving a car cruise-in and two mile west of that location a deer ran out in front of me. Not even two months old and only 2580 miles on the clock my Shelby is now in the body shop getting repaired. I am still sick about it but the deer don’t come through the windshield so I insider myself lucky not getting hurt but still my Shelby had an estimate from 9-11k dollar repair. I’ll see it again in 3weeks..

I presume you know that the Comprehensive part of your insurance covers this?  My wife has hit a deer two times over the years.  Once was in a Lincoln LS (which has an aluminum hood); the total bill was a whopper.  Cost me the $50 deductible each time.

Have lost many a windshield over the years (three on my 4 yr old Navigator so far).  Costs $50....

And that’s why I carry $50 Comprehensive deductible on all my vehicles.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎21 at 7:26 PM, Raymond54 said:

92A2A781-BECA-40A8-999C-3F4F57E94C46.jpeg2EBEA4CC-C448-45B0-BC34-22503DB1B6B1.jpeg

Dang that sucks sorry to hear this...in seeing this picture I would have thought there would be way more damage than that hitting a deer at

70mph...must have been a small deer and a glancing blow?

Hey man, hope all goes well for ya in the future and wish you the best of luck with your cool ride!  :cool:         Later!          

"MONGOOSE"            :peelout: