TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil weight

hisspower

I’m getting close to doing the first oil change on my ‘17 Super Snake 650 hp. I’m having a hard time accepting the factory recommended 5w-20 as an adequate oil for an engine that is supercharged and puts out 235 more horsepower than it was born with. Lots more heat and pressure. A C6 Corvette Z06 takes 5w-30 and it’s only 505 hp and normally aspirated. Thoughts?

Well, it depends on if it has variable valve timing. Some cars, mostly Toyota, use the oil viscosity to advance the cams. If you use the wrong weight, they don't run properly. Now, I don't know enough about the motor in your Snake to guide you. Did you reach out to Shelby? What's the oil capacity? I would run Amsoil, Lucas or Royal Purple. That does seem very thin. My 07 GT500 takes 5w-50.

Did some research and it is indeed a VVT engine, uses solenoids and oil pressure to change cam timing.  Knowing that, and what you said about a change in viscosity affecting VVT, I will stick with manufacturer recommendation.  Engine holds 8 quarts. Pressure is always good even in 90+ temps and coolant temps are fine also. 

Hey guys, from what you guys posted it sounds like a good idea to stay with the factory recommendation on the oil!!  Also as long as the engine is under warranty by the manufacturer I would use whats recommended by them!  Also if said engine holds 8 quarts of oil that's more than enough for cooling and lubing to do the job!  :)    Just my two cents worth! Have a great day!:thumbsup:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"     :peelout:

• 2 weeks later...

I too use Amsoil!  I use it in my Harley Fat Boy because these engines tend to run pretty hot because there just air cooled. My Fat Boy runs between 10 to 20 degrees cooler using Amsoil!  I know this for sure because I use a temperature probe dipstick.:)

Later!

"MONGOOSE"      :peelout: