TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dilemma! 2016 GT-H or Mustang Challenge Track car?

JeffJ

So I can only have one right now. The 2016 GT-H with the same number as my 2006 is available. I think the prices are crazy and it wouldn't be so complicated of a choice if the price was much lower. There is also a pristine factory Mustang Challenge race car available in perfect as delivered condition. There are probably only a few out there in such as delivered condition. I was one of the Grand Am officials who worked with the Mustang Challenge series throughout its duration. I have tons of memorabilia from the series and am very connected to the cars. I am leaning more towards the MC car but am certainly torn. I would keep it as a part of Ford history exactly as it is, but also have fun and track it now and then. The agony!!! What would you do?

All FR500S cars built by Ford are a track only car. They were a part number from the catalogue, no VIN numbers.

My answer is based on what happens if for some reason you need to sell the car, FR500S has a much smaller potential buyer group being that it can not be registered, ever.

So my vote is the 2016 GTH.

Will you track it enough to justify the care and feeding of a car you can't take to the car show or to get ice cream? If not then the GTH is your answer.

I've already got other cars which are not streetable (drag, and non VIN numbered prototype), so that part is not an issue, and have enough show/ice cream cars. Looking at doing quite a bit more track events, so that is why there is dilemma. I never thought I would find an FR500S as delivered and original. There are only a few of those out there. Out of 77 built, there are about 50 remaining. 171 GT-H's with most original and similar miles, but only one matching number to my 06. Not sure I can stomach paying as much for a GT-H as can get a GT350....... Can get the FR500S for 20K cheaper.....

Hi Jeff,

I hear you brother... hard decision. The track constantly calls me, but it is still hard to pull the trigger on a dedicated track weapon that is not street legal. I have gone back and forth on this many times. Ultimately, if you just want to go to the track and have fun you can do that in the GT-H. Plenty of track day options out there from multiple sources as you already know. However, if you want to really improve your skills on track, get the race car. Safer and designed to take the punishment better than the street car.

So it really comes down to what experiences you are most interested in. Maybe one day I'll have a race car, but for now I've got two street cars that I track every now and then. It's easier that way and you get to enjoy the car in multiple environments.

Edit: I was typing this as you made your last comment.... $20K less... Get the FR500S!

Edited by ViperNC

I've already got other cars which are not streetable (drag, and non VIN numbered prototype), so that part is not an issue, and have enough show/ice cream cars. Looking at doing quite a bit more track events, so that is why there is dilemma. I never thought I would find an FR500S as delivered and original. There are only a few of those out there. Out of 77 built, there are about 50 remaining. 171 GT-H's with most original and similar miles, but only one matching number to my 06. Not sure I can stomach paying as much for a GT-H as can get a GT350....... Can get the FR500S for 20K cheaper.....

For me and for probably most folks a dedicated track car is like a boat or motorhome, it just sits there taking up space most of the time but since you have had other non street-able cars in the past perhaps that is a moot point for you.

Your original post didn't mention that the FR500S was $20k cheaper so that is definitely a plus for the FR500S. Also while it may be cool to own matching CSM numbered GTH's I don't predict there will be much demand for a matching 2006/2016 set. In my opinion there is and should continue to be more demand for a 2006/2007 matching set.

So although I still believe it will be easier to sell a 2016 GTH down the road compared to a FR500S when the time comes to thin out the collection, I suppose if you have the dedication to actually track the FR500S more than just once or twice a year perhaps the FR500S would be a better choice considering the price difference.

Since you were a big part of the Mustang challenge Id go with the FR500S. Track it and admire it for what it is. You can always trailer it to a show and drive into the show. Talk about turning heads. Well thats my vote. My subdivision is large enough ( 2+ acre lots ) I could drive and keep all the parts functioning. Heck Id buy into a track membership and keep it there. Atlanta Motorsports Park. Ill keep it there for you.????

Edited by mach 1 1970

Since you were a big part of the Mustang challenge Id go with the FR500S. Track it and admire it for what it is. You can always trailer it to a show and drive into the show. Talk about turning heads. Well thats my vote. My subdivision is large enough ( 2+ acre lots ) I could drive and keep all the parts functioning. Heck Id buy into a track membership and keep it there. Atlanta Motorsports Park. Ill keep it there for you.

There's an idea... The three of us can buy it and split the AMP membership! Oh yeah.... Jeff doesn't live on anywhere near us. :whistling:

There's an idea... The three of us can buy it and split the AMP membership! Oh yeah.... Jeff doesn't live on anywhere near us. :whistling:

Need to find Jeff a place down here . Whats yah thinking Jeff ? Nice track and we will show you around

Dont forget Road Atlanta has many track days and beautiful surroundings. See picture

I should get two votes because the inaugural mustang challenge race was @ Road Atlanta. Get the Mustang challenge car.

post-9597-0-83447300-1512602317_thumb.jpeg

post-9597-0-75194800-1512604589_thumb.jpeg

post-9597-0-39361100-1512606129_thumb.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970

I have owned an ex-TC Motorsports Dr Rick Edwards/Ex Dave Rosenblum FR500S since 2010, November. Best move I made, I have raced Hillclimbs and local club racing here in the PNW. They are not the fastest when it comes to engines but, sure are fun and dependable! My wife can drive this as she did at the Bash in 2013 and 2017! Very flexible and still its fast and can run hard! What do you want to do is the hard part as now you have a race car and is not street legal. So, you need to add a truck and trailer to your stable if you don't have this already.There is a FR500S wall on FB, just a FYI. Some talk of a 10 year anniversary.

Good Luck on choosing! We gave up a Sunbeam Tiger to buy the FR500S. I understand.

Best regards, Brian Bogdon

Need to find Jeff a place down here . Whats yah thinking Jeff ? Nice track and we will show you around

Dont forget Road Atlanta has many track days and beautiful surroundings. See picture

I should get two votes because the inaugural mustang challenge race was @ Road Atlanta. Get the Mustang challenge car.

Yea....thanks..... but we do have some pretty awesome tracks here in CO with some new ones in the plans, so I'm good. :hysterical:

I have owned an ex-TC Motorsports Dr Rick Edwards/Ex Dave Rosenblum FR500S since 2010, November. Best move I made, I have raced Hillclimbs and local club racing here in the PNW. They are not the fastest when it comes to engines but, sure are fun and dependable! My wife can drive this as she did at the Bash in 2013 and 2017! Very flexible and still its fast and can run hard! What do you want to do is the hard part as now you have a race car and is not street legal. So, you need to add a truck and trailer to your stable if you don't have this already.There is a FR500S wall on FB, just a FYI. Some talk of a 10 year anniversary.

Good Luck on choosing! We gave up a Sunbeam Tiger to buy the FR500S. I understand.

Best regards, Brian Bogdon

Yea, leaning that direction right now. Would be tough to find one like this again. Here is my truck, so I'm good. Have a 24' enclosed that I haul my Shelby in.

gallery_10653_393_799680.jpg

Jeff,

I'm thrilled with the ex-Miller car I bought.

Having a sorted purpose built track car....best thing EVER.

And you likely can't build it for what it cost.

I do get the attraction of the matching numbers. BUT, if you've got an itch to run with us other "Winged Warriors" at the BASH...get the FR500!

#29_Sonoma_gate.jpg