TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT, VIN Number, & Insurance

MDMachiavelli

I asked this question on another forum but I'm thinking I may get more discussion on this one.

The question about the Shelby GT and what the VIN says I see talked about from time to time.

I think it is pretty much understood that Shelby GTs are manufactured by Ford, at their facilities, and then transferred to Vegas to be transformed into "Shelby GTs".

Because of that, a Shelby GTs VIN shows it to be nothing more than "GT Deluxe"

Am I correct so far? If not help me out.

My issue is with insurance. Because the VIN number shows the Shelby GT as nothing more than a GT, that is what banks and insurance companies consider it. I stayed with my insurance company and insurance mine through them but I did check other places and they were the same. I was told all we can go by is the VIN and the VIN states its a GT.

It is my belief that a Shelby GT is worth significantly more than a GT and therefore needs to be insured to reflect so. About a month or so ago, a Shelby GT with 38K miles sold for approximately $25K at Mecum's.

I have several motorcycles, and they are insured separately through a different insurer (Geico). With my motorcycles I can buy value on them. In other words, I can pay a yearly premium based on the book value of the motorcycle and I can add to that value incrementally for an additional amount.

I thought that may have been an option for my Shelby GT, but so far it doesn't seem possible.

NADA has a value for the Shelby GT, which is about $17K but again every insurer and bank I've checked with considers it a GT.

Has anyone else thought about this, and if so has it raised concerns?

I'm curious to see what other owners think about this.

Repair costs would be same as a normal GT so insurance shouldn't/wouldn't care... it's an option package... if totaled, I can't imagine they could argue with you about the nada value with the factory option package added on...

I didn't worry about it while I owned mine.

Ive got my 07SGT insured as a collector car. I dont drive it as a daily driver. American collectors insurance covers it for a agreed price of $25K. $500K limits. $425/year. One nice thing was when I purchased it ga taxed it like a mustang GT. $596 vs $1500.

SGT can be either a deluxe or premium GT also. Deluxe are not that common.

Take a look @ a 2014 Shelby GT350 modified by Shelby sold new for $80K its the same situation.

Edited by mach 1 1970

FWIW when l insured my car with Erie Ins. I asked the same question. Information my agent had access too through the vin.number showed special parts were installed and it was different from a Mustang GT.I know my copy of the Oasis report shows this.If you have concerns a Ford dealer can run the report for you.My agent said that would be taken into account if a claim is made.

As a side note in checking with agent again after reading all these posts my car will be viewed as a mustang gt, nothing more.When l pressed the issue and talked to someone who did the research this was found out.I have switched to Grundy for agreed value and full coverage.

Edited by 99-9x

Ive got my 07SGT insured as a collector car. I dont drive it as a daily driver. American collectors insurance covers it for a agreed price of $25K. $500K limits. $425/year. One nice thing was when I purchased it ga taxed it like a mustang GT. $596 vs $1500.

SGT can be either a deluxe or premium GT also. Deluxe are not that common.

Take a look @ a 2014 Shelby GT350 made by Shelby sold new for $80K its the same situation.

I'm leaning toward doing something like this.

Just cant run errands or drop kids to school in it. :thumbsup:

What's this?

I run errands is my cars all the time, go to a icecream shop, what have you. I park far from everyone and never down hill.

I also have dropped my kids at school. The spandex Soccer moms in their overpriced SUV's don't know what to make of it.

Grundys out of PA. Cheap..... agreed upon replacement value.

Just can’t run errands or drop kids to school in it.

All my hot rods are covered by them. :thumbsup:

I have a 2007 Shelby GT with 10K miles. I would be willing to bet I don't put more than 1K miles on it this year or any other year.

It stays in its garage most of the time and is only driven for leisure purposes.

I am the only one that drives it.

I damn sure don't run errands in it. :thumbsup:

Sounds like that is what I need.

All of the collector car companies know the difference and will insure accordingly. Some are just more lenient on usage requirements than others. And when I researched them a few years ago there were huge price swings for the same coverage, so shop around.

Just got a quote with Grundy and its $307 compared to $425 with American Collectors insurance. Hagerty was $527 Same coverage. With these newer cars Grundy seems more in line with the old car insurance premiums.

Thanks BIKEBOY.

Edited by mach 1 1970

When i bought my SGT 1271 5 years ago it had 1650 miles on it,called my broker at Safeco and told them i had a Shelby. The Vin came back as a Mustang GT,i took pictures of every angle and the under body.The main thing was i had a Certificate of Authenticity and a Monroney Report,it is insured as a Modern Classic with agreed value of $40,000,also my 1989 GT Vert is also agreed at $15,000.The cars go into storage Nov 1st to May 1st i'm in Illinois so no Winter driving,i have a 04 as a daily driver.So the two reports are the big thing to have.Hope this helps.

When I looked into it I was told I had to own a 2nd car to get collector car insurance on my Shelby. The motorcycle I use for commuting didn't cut it.

I put about 5,000 miles on my SGT each year as I use it to run errands for things I can't carry on the bike, or for when it rains, as well as trips out of town.

I was paying $1600/year because I live in one of the worst zip codes anywhere. Out of the blue I heard about Metromile, which uses a device that tracks the miles. It plugs in right under the steering wheel. It has an app that I can use to track miles driven, trips, my car's location and it even sends street cleaning notices if I'm parked near a street that will be getting cleaned that day.

My insurance varies month to month, from $58 to over $110 this month (that trip to Vegas caused it to go up). I average about $70/ month, which is a lot less than the $133 I was paying.

I imagine if my car is totaled or stolen I will have to fight for its real value. I'm pretty sure I checked a box for the "Shelby GT" option. But prices for SGT's usually go for much higher than the blue book prices I've been getting, so even if I had insurance with any other company I bet I'd have to do the same arguing.

If you're in the same fix see if Metromile (or other mile-tracking insurance) is offered in your area.

Grundys out of PA. Cheap..... agreed upon replacement value.

Just can’t run errands or drop kids to school in it.

All my hot rods are covered by them. :thumbsup:

I had Grundy too but the statement they make you sign is handcuffing IMO. If you happen to go out to dinner with the wife and then stop by to get a botle of wine on the way home and something happens they can literally not cover you. I removed myself from them and now have StateFarm and it is excellent insurance and extremely reasonable. I prefer this over the handcuffing of the Grundy policy with rates to match @ $45K value.I had both so comparison was easy..

• 2 months later...

I use State Farm as well. I made sure my agent clarified in writing with the issuer that it is a Shelby GT/SC. I call my agent in the fall for winter hibernation for just comprehensive coverage (fire, theft, etc), and park it knowing I don't have driving coverage, then reinstate fully in the spring. It usually takes a couple days to change with just a call. And no handcuffing! I also drive the SGT more than most (5K+). My policy includes full coverage on my DD and I pay about $1500 annually (CDN). 

I did some research on the VIN designation for "T82" cobrakidz, and found it only identifies it as a "Mustang GT coupe".

Edited by BlackSGT

13 hours ago, BlackSGT said:

I use State Farm as well. I made sure my agent clarified in writing with the issuer that it is a Shelby GT/SC. I call my agent in the fall for winter hibernation for just comprehensive coverage (fire, theft, etc), and park it knowing I don't have driving coverage, then reinstate fully in the spring. It usually takes a couple days to change with just a call. And no handcuffing! I also drive the SGT more than most (5K+). My policy includes full coverage on my DD and I pay about $1500 annually (CDN). 

I did some research on the VIN designation for "T82" cobrakidz, and found it only identifies it as a "Mustang GT coupe".

Correct....the U54 upfitter's package code is what signifies that the vehicle was sent to SAI for "upfitting" of equipment on the monroney as pre-title work installation.  That is where a claims adjuster will see that it is more than a Mustang GT....I work for State Farm and completely ran this through my claims partners to make sure there would be no issues if something ever happened.

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 6:40 PM, cobrakidz said:

When you run the vin the T82 means Shelby GT coupe, that should prove to them that it is real.......

I think that just means it's a Mustang coupe.

Mine has T85, so I'm guessing that's for a convertible?

On 1/25/2018 at 5:56 AM, BlackSGT said:

T 82 is a Mustang GT coupe and T 85 for a mustang GT convertible , there is nothing about a shelby gt in the vin

2 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

Like all other late generation factory named Shelby Mustangs, these are post title cars  and do not have MSO or VIN designation from the current Shelby American shop.  

Not true. The Shelby GT is a PRE-TITLE car.  Only two of the modern cars are pre-title:  The Shelby GT and the GT500KR.

It is unfortunate that the VIN numbers are not uniquely identified, but most agents will up the coverage if you show them the Shelby portion of the window sticker.

Hello all,  twobjshelbys is correct  on  saying that the Shelby GT is a" PRE-TITLE" car.  I currently am a proud owner of a 2008 Shelby GT and I am constantly bewildered by the lack of information or mis-information on the Shelby GTs.  There is still alot of people out there that don't recognize what these cars are, and the" bang for the buck ", (value & fun) they are.  This is also true for some of the dealers out there!

Just my Opinion !

Talk at Ya, Later !

"MONGOOSE"

12 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hello all,  twobjshelbys is correct  on  saying that the Shelby GT is a" PRE-TITLE" car.  I currently am a proud owner of a 2008 Shelby GT and I am constantly bewildered by the lack of information or mis-information on the Shelby GTs.  There is still alot of people out there that don't recognize what these cars are, and the" bang for the buck ", (value & fun) they are.  This is also true for some of the dealers out there!

Just my Opinion !

Talk at Ya, Later !

"MONGOOSE"

FYI a lot of the "Stealers" didn't know about them in 2007.... hence my login! When I told the dealer I was looking for a GT500 he told me "They're all gone, but we have a GT350 in the showroom!"

Sorry, I misspoke about the post title issue.  I was using the wrong term.  The problem that I was alluding to is that the Shelby GT is not in most insurance companies data base for special rates.  After the VIN is sent in, it comes back as a Mustang GT.  The Ford Shelby GT500 has it s own production VIN designation and does not have this issue.  Only a few specialty auto insurance companies with knowledgeable agents (car enthusiasts, not just commission hungry employees) know and correctly value the difference for the Shelby GT or the GT-H.   Throw in different State auto insurance regulations and can get challenging.  

If you try to look up SGT values  or searching for one to buy there's also an issue getting the drop down boxes. Often they don't even exist.

I think it's funny how these new dealers, like True Car, spend all that money on commercials but don't have an option for people interested in selling or buying a SGT.

Buyers might click on GT and miss a seller who mistakenly listed under GT500.

I just checked and still no drop down Shelby GT!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 1:53 PM, AKSHELBY said:

T 82 is a Mustang GT coupe and T 85 for a mustang GT convertible , there is nothing about a shelby gt in the vin

When I ran my vin on FordEtis it shows T82 as a Shelby GT coupe, hmmm, maybe only they call it that and others see it as a Mustang GT?   Who knows......