TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Photobucket Implosion - What are the Good Alternatives???

SVT NAJA

Many of us have used Photobucket to host our pictures on this forum, and perhaps others - in what most would categorize as a hobby.

Recently, Photobucket determined they needed to change their business model: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/16/photobucket-fee-hike/

I get that every business needs to make a profit, or else... but it seems that Photobucket chose to commit corporate suicide overnight and charge $399 per year for hosting :camera:.

Perhaps they would have been extremely successful at charging $3.99 per month, or $39.00 per year. Doesn't look like they'll find out, and that's too bad.

Anyway, time to move on and find another hosting site. From your experience, what are the good alternatives, both free (supported by advertising) and pay for service?

I'm not going to bother. I hosted all of the photos from my trip reports to Vegas, Shelby American Collection, all the car shows, etc. on Photobucket. There are simply WAY WAY too many to try to spend the time to find another host (note 1), move the pictures in an orderly manner, and go back and fix all the links. I also won't pay $400/year for the privilege. In fact, given that Photobucket now claims rights to the photos if the account is abandoned (it used to be they never had any rights) then I'm almost inclined to delete them anyway.

At this time none of my images appear to be blocked. A couple of years ago I had posted a trip report to multiple sites and I got hit by their bandwidth police, so I signed up for a paid account. That tier seems to no longer be available but I'm probably grandfathered. I can't find the Ts&Cs but it may include posting. In any case I have a second unpaid account (from when their limit was something like 500MB instead of the now 2GB) and about 1/2 of the posts are from that account, so I don't know what triggers the cutoff.

Note 1: Beware of flocking to other free sites. They will ultimately charge too. Case in point: Parking at the Vegas strip hotels was always free. Then a starting about a year ago, the MGM Grand said they would start charging, then they expanded to all the MGM properties, then the others on the strip started charging too (because their lots filled up from people that wouldn't pay at MGM), and one of the last strongholds caved this week. I predict that within a year the larger of the now-free sites will also start charging.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Image Shack is your best option. It costs $20 per year. Best part about it is it doesn't have all the damn pop-ups like photobucket.

Very simple to use.

Most forums that I place photos on are done direct from my computer so I normally don't need to host them.

I have used FotoTime for nearly twenty years. Costs about two dollars a month, paid yearly, thousands of photos parked there, in two accounts, a few videos.

I also have quite a few hundred photos on Flickr. I seem to remember it costs about the same as FotoTime, for "Pro" status.

Both these services make it relatively easy to post photos to forums. Not as easy as Facebook, but not difficult.

I have to guess the Fotobuckets of the world are anticipating the increased expenses likely to occur once the InterWebz are molded to Trumpistan standards.

17279924812_160081913a_c.jpg

I just keep all my Photos in Folders on my Computer and if I need to crop and Resize, I use "Paint" and do a "Save As" using the same name and adding a Number or Letter to the Name so I have the original AND the Edited version. They never expire.

I just keep all my Photos in Folders on my Computer and if I need to crop and Resize, I use "Paint" and do a "Save As" using the same name and adding a Number or Letter to the Name so I have the original AND the Edited version. They never expire.

But then you can only post thunbnails, not full size pictures unless you click on them. :lurk:

Photobucket and other image serving places are nice when constructing posts for multiple forums. I posted many of my trip reports on 4 different forums, with very little overlapping membership, so by using a image server link I only had to write, copy and paste. If I uploaded the images to the sites each post would have had to been individual. I still haven't gotten the third party posting police message.

Yesterday I downloaded everything in my photobucket account and left it empty. Not too worried about finding another hosting site right now. Eventually the market will shift and a new site will meet the demand

Another site needs to pony up and allow you to give the PB password and download/upload to the new site, all without having to individually download them to a computer then upload to said new site. I'm on satellite internet at home and it's a lot of data to move 300+ pictures.

And now I am getting bombarded by emails from Photo*ucket trying to sell me all kinds of junk from BBQ aprons to pocket chain saws.

A pocket chain-saw sounds cool, I want one to go with my Ninja-juicer.