TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT350 2018 MY vs Oil Consumption Issues

Dear members,

I wrote earlier this year about starting the process to buy a 2018 GT350.

I have been reading this forum and it is now obvious that the Voodoo engines may have major issues about oil consumption.

As of today, do we know if Ford is aware of the root cause of those issues?

What are the chances that Ford will fix those problems for good at the factory on the 2018 MY?

To be honest, i am scared at this point because i do not want to drop 55K-60K$ and be at the dealership having my engine replaced...

Thank you for your feedback.

Dear members,

I have been reading this forum and it is now obvious that the Voodoo engines may have major issues about oil consumption.

What are the chances that Ford will fix those problems for good at the factory on the 2018 MY?

To be honest, i am scared at this point because i do not want to drop 55K-60K$ and be at the dealership having my engine replaced...

Mine is he finest car I have owned, and I have been driving for over 55 years. I would by another one without hesitation..........

Hmm

• 4 weeks later...

Dear members,

Forget the GT350. Engine problems, lack of low end, etc. are making the car unappealing. The next GT500 is around the corner and will certainly run the table on the 350.

Forget the GT350. Engine problems, lack of low end, etc. are making the car unappealing. The next GT500 is around the corner and will certainly run the table on the 350.

Unappealing? You do know dealers are still getting MSRP or higher two years after its release, right? Maybe to you.

I've burned 1 quart in 1,000 miles of driving my GT350, but I'll say that I used to burn some oil in my Boss302 too. Am I worried? Not yet, but I'll keep an eye on it. Would it stop me from buying, No! This car is one fine driving machine.

Guest markham51

I have 18,000kms on mine and never had to add oil. Too much fun! I got a note from Ford the other day advising me to check the oil level once in a while.

Guest markham51

According to Ford a qualification is necessary and I should have provided it.... :whistling:

"If you drive your vehicle under the following conditions: extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine breaking, hard cornering maneuvers and track use it is necessary to check the engine oil level at every refueling and adjust to maintain proper levels to avoid engine damage."

They also provided an oil filter cap wrench to "properly tighten the oil filter assembly to 22-24 MN (16-18 lb.-ft)" to ensure the oil filter does not loosen over time and result in an engine oil leak.

Rock on..... :shift:

Edited by markham51

• 3 months later...

Its about balance not brute horsepower. If that the case we would all be buying Demons, and Hellcats. The GT500 will be cool I am sure but I like the balance and overall performance of the 350.

I agree with you CD3. I traded my 07 GT500 for my 17 GT350 and I am really impressed with the GT350s handling. It come down to what you are looking for in a Shelby.

Yes, I owned an 08 GT500 convt, and an 08 GT500 cpe. Felt I could never get into the car as they would start lifting/floating. Very scary. Took it to a Shelby mechanic estimate was almost $4500 to get it tied down and connected to the road. Sold both.

Glad you like your GT350. I have high expectations for my 18 when it arrives. Not quite like my older Cayman S but should be great. Almost went with a GT with Magnaride etc, but wanted that motor.

• 3 weeks later...

You and me both CD3! I went in determined to order an '18 GT with mageride, performance pack, and variable exhaust. I wanted to see how the recaros felt, and they ended up letting me test drive the GT350 instead. It turned out that back on July 24th, Ford was still not taking orders for the '18 GT and they gave me a price on the '17 GT350 with no markup at all.

Needless to say, I went with the car that faster, built better, and sounded... omg. I have Voodoo-head. That's a thing, right? Never got the sound of the engine out of my head. I'm a happy owner and I hope your GT350 will make you just as happy.

I owned a 06 Mustang GT. Added Ford's Handling pack, Brembos, exhaust, cold air intake and tracked it at Mid-Ohio. Nicely balanced and fun machine. Then I added Whipple supercharging. Gained gobs of power and lost the balance. Not fun. My 17 GT 350 is nicely balanced and fun. I learned that hp is not everything. I have 800 miles on my GT 350. Haven't burnt a drop of oil. I believe in a careful break in. It has always worked for me. PJ

• 3 weeks later...

6K on the odo an no apparent oil issues.

Agree with CD3 and others re. GT350 it's about balance and I'd add finesse. We have a 50 YO GT350 with non-aspirated HiPo 289 - yeah it's not a big block. The non-aspirated heritage and technology/approach that the 2015-2018 GT350's carry forward is specifically appealing to us. We love the performance tricks the Shelby team used on the original GT350's (e.g. rear pair of larger Ford Fairlane station-wagon drums/shoes to boost rear braking on '66 GT350's). Ford Performance applied a wide range of carefully chosen performance components to the current GT350's.

Absolutely NOTHING against turbos and superchargers for boosting power, you do have to consider the front end weight and other power, fuel, and handling dynamics they bring with them.

As mentioned, there's a reason for the Demon and Hell Cat interest - Mopar is answering a different performance niche. The Shelby, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Demon, Hell Cat, and non-domestic super-cars offerings give vehicle enthusiasts a wide range of choices. Pick you fave and enjoy it. Engage in cross-vehicle banter and rivalry if you choose - no need for that exchange to be disparaging but if it goes that way - blow it off for what it is (nothing).

Again - no oil issues on our newer GT350.

• 1 month later...

Dear members,

Ok, does anyone understand performance engine design or do you just drive stupid? Performance engines will use oil, get over it. Its stated in any owners manual of a performance car from Ford to Subaru. A BRZ is quoted,to comsume up to 1qt every 600 miles and this is normal.

The best thing you can do is put an oil separator on the PCV system to keep oil out of intake track. Passenger side a minimum and keep an eye on your dip stick.

Edited by JTVUDOO

• 11 months later...
15 hours ago, Jonny427 said:

I wonder how many of these "voodoo" owners have done a proper "break in" on the cars. Engine rings have to seat. I would be willing to bet, that they drive off the lot and just flog the motors.

I was easy on my R for the 1st 1k miles. I DD it currently sitting @ 3400 with no oil issues

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I brought my 2018 GT350 last year. RIP it around the streets of Milwaukee constantly. Was told by dealership to check the oil every 500 miles. I do end up adding about 7 extra quarts between oil changes. I put a little over 15k miles and don't care about adding cuz I love driving fast. I do have questions I'd like to add a wide body kit and supercharger but can't seem to find one for my car. Can anyone help?

• 2 weeks later...

2016 gt350, about 15,000 miles on it. Engine is done. Oil pump gear failure causing low oil pressure and scored #8 cyl crank bearing. Pulled more con rods and found more scoring. Engine replaced under warranty. They installed a remanufactured engine. Car now has about 25,000 miles and seems to be ok. Have had brake rotor cracking, spoiler replaced, badge replaced, brake pads twice, one front tire from miss alignment and more oil leaks from the drain plug. 

This is all previous repair history and I am still contemplating buying this used car? Am I nuts? If you could grab this car at a great price would you? They are asking $35000 US for the car.

Edited by Gabe2261

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, Gabe2261 said:

2016 gt350, about 15,000 miles on it. Engine is done. Oil pump gear failure causing low oil pressure and scored #8 cyl crank bearing. Pulled more con rods and found more scoring. Engine replaced under warranty. They installed a remanufactured engine. Car now has about 25,000 miles and seems to be ok. Have had brake rotor cracking, spoiler replaced, badge replaced, brake pads twice, one front tire from miss alignment and more oil leaks from the drain plug. 

This is all previous repair history and I am still contemplating buying this used car? Am I nuts? If you could grab this car at a great price would you? They are asking $35000 US for the car.

Your not nuts. For that price, not a bad deal at all. Get an extended warranty to protect yourself

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a 17 GT-350 at 62 years old I have broken in Many Engines . Start Up Warm Up and Not fully loading Your engine is Critical in Seating your Ring's and not Scuffing a piston skirt . Drained and Changed at 500 miles .Kept 3,500 rpm till 500 then 4 , 45 , 5000 till 1000 miles then let it Rip in bursts till 2,000 and out with Oil again . Now 3,500 miles and it's used less than a Quart . Now the New 5.2's have upgraded the Valvetrain ! Makes Me Sick , What do I Do ? Take it apart . Bummed