TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Procharged GT350 vs. C7 Z06 - video

Larry T

Put a supercharger on a Voodoo at your own risk. Nearing end of life for the GT350 and while typically Ford announces power booster packages for new engine coincident or shortly after the vehicle, the fact that there are still no Ford sanctioned (Ford Performance Parts) addons from Whipple or anyone else for Voodoo speaks volumes.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Put a supercharger on a Voodoo at your own risk. Nearing end of life for the GT350 and while typically Ford announces power booster packages for new engine coincident or shortly after the vehicle, the fact that there are still no Ford sanctioned (Ford Performance Parts) addons from Whipple or anyone else for Voodoo speaks volumes.

You accept risk when you add a blower to any engine. Seems as if Ford has designed this car primarily as a road racer appealing to that relatively small number of guys who use Pony Cars in that venue and really don't have much of a market for a S/C configuration. This car is going to be nearly a forgotten entity for the after market product lines once the GT500 takes center stage.

Edited by orange2

^^^ This :yup:

Some may read the tea leaves this way. Oh well, if the Voodoo motor is that weak then I am glad that I did not buy one. Looking to wait on GT500 with possibly a ZL1(LT4) in the meantime.

I'm sure that the internals of the engine can take the horsepower. But Voodoo is the largest displacement FPC on the planet, and everyone has issues with balancing the engine. It's not simple, and Ford only did it by doing some of it EXTERNALLY. Ford seems to think that adding HP is risky or they would have done it. They also have not sold the engine as a component/crate engine for the same reasons. (Ford Racing/Performance has always considered their brand superchargers retain the original factory warranty.) Go ahead, but do it at your own risk.So far noone here has volunteered to be first! And surprisingly, I've not seen a single person here or on other forums claiming to have done so either. All we see are advertisements from the shops.

Edited by twobjshelbys

I'm sure that the internals of the engine can take the horsepower. But Voodoo is the largest displacement FPC on the planet, and everyone has issues with balancing the engine. It's not simple, and Ford only did it by doing some of it EXTERNALLY. Ford seems to think that adding HP is risky or they would have done it. They also have not sold the engine as a component/crate engine for the same reasons. (Ford Racing/Performance has always considered their brand superchargers retain the original factory warranty.) Go ahead, but do it at your own risk.So far noone here has volunteered to be first! And surprisingly, I've not seen a single person here or on other forums claiming to have done so either. All we see are advertisements from the shops.

I appreciate your point. Personally I would not buy this car with the intent of adding any form of FI as there are these concerns, balance etc. and the 5.0s are just so ripe for FI. Supercharging these Coyote motors yields some staggering results as I am sure most here are keenly aware of. Just look at what the Roush RS3s produce.

I appreciate your point. Personally I would not buy this car with the intent of adding any form of FI as there are these concerns, balance etc. and the 5.0s are just so ripe for FI. Supercharging these Coyote motors yields some staggering results as I am sure most here are keenly aware of. Just look at what the Roush RS3s produce.

The Coyote 5.2 ought to be even better.

There are some I have read on m6g and have seen in person who have Forced Induction. Whether it is twin turbo, centrifugal or roots blower, not sure if I am willing to do that (yet).

I am waiting on the longevity to see how this motor holds up to boost. I have talked with many vendors and some have told me that Ford specifically asked them not to boost the engine as Ford believes it will not stay together long.

I met a guy in Ocala Fl at the 1/2 mile shoot out with a 350R and procharged pushing 8 psi. He said the car loves it. but he only had 1000 miles on it.

I guess I will just wait

There are some I have read on m6g and have seen in person who have Forced Induction. Whether it is twin turbo, centrifugal or roots blower, not sure if I am willing to do that (yet).

I am waiting on the longevity to see how this motor holds up to boost. I have talked with many vendors and some have told me that Ford specifically asked them not to boost the engine as Ford believes it will not stay together long.

I met a guy in Ocala Fl at the 1/2 mile shoot out with a 350R and procharged pushing 8 psi. He said the car loves it. but he only had 1000 miles on it.

I guess I will just wait

Do it now money bags!!!!! You only live once. :lurk:

You accept risk when you add a blower to any engine. Seems as if Ford has designed this car primarily as a road racer appealing to that relatively small number of guys who use Pony Cars in that venue and really don't have much of a market for a S/C configuration. This car is going to be nearly a forgotten entity for the after market product lines once the GT500 takes center stage.

I kind of hope they stop making them in favor of the 500, it will just make our 350s all that more limited and "special"... I love the car and don't think it needs any more performance :)

Edited by freakyjoe

Great...... glad to hear that the "Next Shelby GT-500" will be named something else. That will just make my '14 Shelby GT-500 that much more exclusive.

• 5 months later...

Hennessy is offering a 2.9L Supercharger for the GT350 but they are upgrading the following HPE800 Supercharged 5.2L V8 Voodoo Engine Upgrade
• 2.9 Liter Supercharger System
• 11.0:1 compression forged aluminum pistons with steel wrist pins
• Forged steel connecting rods
• Carbon Fiber High Flow Air Induction
• Upgraded Fuel Injectors
• Upgraded Fuel Pump System
• Carbon Fiber Coilpack Covers
• All Necessary Gaskets & Fluids
• Professional Installation
• HPE Engine Management Calibration
• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing
• Hennessey Exterior Badging
• HPE800 Exterior Badging
• Supercharged Exterior Badging
• Hennessey Premium Floormats
• Hennessey Embroidered Headrests
• Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
• 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty

Hennessy is offering a 2.9L Supercharger for the GT350 but they are upgrading the following HPE800 Supercharged 5.2L V8 Voodoo Engine Upgrade

• 2.9 Liter Supercharger System

• 11.0:1 compression forged aluminum pistons with steel wrist pins

• Forged steel connecting rods

• Carbon Fiber High Flow Air Induction

• Upgraded Fuel Injectors

• Upgraded Fuel Pump System

• Carbon Fiber Coilpack Covers

• All Necessary Gaskets & Fluids

• Professional Installation

• HPE Engine Management Calibration

• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing

• Hennessey Exterior Badging

• HPE800 Exterior Badging

• Supercharged Exterior Badging

• Hennessey Premium Floormats

• Hennessey Embroidered Headrests

• Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques

• 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty

You go first. Ask them (and any of the others claiming such products) how many they've sold. I've yet to see anyone in any of the GT350 forums admit it. See reply #4 in this topic.

Ford built the 5.2 FPC GT350 to be the strongest in its class of non-aspirated SCCA category. The engine, special brakes, suspension, etc. were all set for that, in at least the GT350R model. There are numerous power toys with blower systems making gobs of power, so the GT350 is unique in its power and handling design. It does what it was built for. For power boosted Shelby named Mustang ride, I would stick with what comes out of the power tested development at SAI.