TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Shelby GT 500 Battery

shel-b001

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope thats not the right one according to what I have which is original in my car, that battery is an 1 1/4" shorter .

Pretty sure the original Motorcraft Battery that came in the car New is no longer available. Car a Ford dealer and they will provide you with a replacement that fits the car. When I replaced mine, I purchase directly from Ford and it was not identical to the original. I ended up going with an Optima Redtop. Haven't looked back. With a quality charger, the Optima far out lasted the prior two.

Pretty sure the original Motorcraft Battery that came in the car New is no longer available. Car a Ford dealer and they will provide you with a replacement that fits the car. When I replaced mine, I purchase directly from Ford and it was not identical to the original. I ended up going with an Optima Redtop. Haven't looked back. With a quality charger, the Optima far out lasted the prior two.

Nope the original batteries are still available just wondered if my original battery was what they put in the `.07.

Anyone on here that owns an 07 still have their original battery & if so what is the part number which located on the top of your battery.?

Doesn't the label on top of the OEM battery show a replacement Motorcraft #?

Yes it does .& mine reads BXT-40-R but the Ford dealer punched in my ser .# & they say it should be a BXT-96R which is an 1 1/4 " shorter in length . So again any one out there have an original OEMbattery & if so what is the part # on it?

Yes it does .& mine reads BXT-40-R but the Ford dealer punched in my ser .# & they say it should be a BXT-96R which is an 1 1/4 " shorter in length . So again any one out there have an original OEMbattery & if so what is the part # on it?

Purchased Bxt-40-R from my local ford dealer the other day,did not look in catalog ,looked on the battery shelf.

My 2008 GT500 oem battery just failed last fall, and will need to be replaced, but I can't complain at all about an 8 year life span.

The number on it is AZ BXT-96R 590CA

Thats strange as that battery measure 9" long an 1 1/4 ' shorter than the BXT 40 R . So does the cover sleeve around your battery, a snug fit ?

It looks like Ford installed different size batteries when building these cars which meant different size cover sleeves . Both batteries BXT 96 R & BXT 40 R are 590 CA but the 40 R is 1 1/4" longer so if someone has a 96 R replaces, it with a BXT 40 R their sleeve cover won`t fit over the battery.

Tasca list this Battery in the below link as OEM for 2007 GT500

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/bxt40r

says its available.

Ya they are still available & that is the battery that is in my `07 but I hearing that some have the BXT 96 R which is an 1 1/4 "shorter

The heat shield sleeve, the nylon retaining strap and the battery tray fit the battery perfectly.

As I placed the order for the car and have owned it ever since, there is no doubt that the number I listed is on my original oem supplied battery.

Edited by msb64

The heat shield sleeve, the nylon retaining strap and the battery tray fit the battery perfectly.

As I placed the order for the car and have owned it ever since, there is no doubt that the number I listed is on my original oem supplied battery.

That's nice, but the OP was looking for a 2007 GT500 OEM Battery part number.

I don`t believe anyone is disagreeing that your BXT 96 R battery isn`t original but if you were to replace it with the BXT 40 R it won`t fit in the nylon sleeve . So what I`am saying is Ford has used two different styles of batteries when building these cars maybe when the line ran out of BXT 40 R`s the new stock was BXT96 R . I t would be interesting to now if the battery trays are different also.

Also what battery did they use in the 08-09.

Unfortunately I don't personally know anyone with an 07, just 08s, 09s & above.

Your most likely right on that call, makes sense for them to have some flexibilty in the the supply chain.

Another one of those little variances that manufacturers do during assembly, makes it hard to track actual oem setups years later, if not common knowledge.

Good to know the differences in size, will have to watch for that when getting a replacement this upcoming season (for us at least 2 months away yet).

Here is a photo of the top of my battery, haven't had a chance to take it in for recycling yet.

Not sure about tray differences, I can check mine and see if it has a visible part number stamped on it.

OEM 2008 GT500 Battery.jpg

Unfortunately I don't personally know anyone with an 07, just 08s, 09s & above.

Your most likely right on that call, makes sense for them to have some flexibilty in the the supply chain.

Another one of those little variances that manufacturers do during assembly, makes it hard to track actual oem setups years later, if not common knowledge.

Good to know the differences in size, will have to watch for that when getting a replacement this upcoming season (for us at least 2 months away yet).

Here is a photo of the top of my battery, haven't had a chance to take it in for recycling yet.

Not sure about tray differences, I can check mine and see if it has a visible part number stamped on it.

Thanks for the photo not sure what the AZ stands for but the Z could be for Mustang so its a 590 ca.

Here`s what i found on Fords Motorcraft Battery spec

Ca CA at 32F Reserve Capacity(min) Length Width Height Weight

BXT 40 R 590 735 105 10.90" 6.42 6.88 37 lbs.

BXT 96 R 500 625 90 8.97" 6.30 6.88 32 lbs.

Couldn`t find an AZ but just might mean its a 590 ca for Z - Mustang .

So it appears they are different batteries..

So heres what happened when the dealer punched in my Ser # to tell him what battery my car takes which came up BXT 96 R

So anyone replacing their battery pay close attention to what your original battery is no matter what parts guy is telling you

Edited by shelby001

Thanks for the photo not sure what the AZ stands for but the Z could be for Mustang so its a 590 ca.

Here what i found on Fords Motorcraft Battery spec

Ca CA at 32F Reserve Capacity(min) Length Width Height Weight

BXT 40 R 590 735 105 10.90" 6.42 6.88 37 lbs.

BXT 96 R 500 625 90 8.97" 6.30 6.88 32 lbs.

Couldn`t find an AZ but just might mean its a 590 ca for Z - Mustang .

So it appears they are different batteries..

So heres what happened when the dealer punched in my Ser # to tell him what battery my car takes which came up BXT

So anyone replacing their battery pay close attention to what your original battery is no matter what parts guy is telling you

I have the Shaker 1000 and the BXT 40 R Battery in my car. The BXT 96 R might be for non-shaker GT500 models.

I have the Shaker 1000 and the BXT 40 R Battery in my car. The BXT 96 R might be for non-shaker GT500 models.

Nope I don`t have the shaker 1000 & I know another car that doesn`t & it also has the BXT 40 R . I believe it just may be a production supply change at the time of build.

In THE 2007 Mustang Owners Manual Page 241. It says the following:

Battery BXT-96R

Battery - (with High Electrical content) BXT-40R

I would assume high electrical content is going to be The Shaker 1000,

Nav, HID etc.

The manual does not designate or define what “high electrical content” means.

Oddly enough the 2008 Manual on lists only the BTX-96R which is the lower output battery, but if I am not mistaken they may have had a change/ improvement in alternators in late 2007/early 2008.

The battery original in my 2008 Shelby GT was a Battery BXT-96R and my car is “loaded” with HID Headlights, Navigation, Convertible Top, Multidisc CD changer and Heated Seats. My original battery lasted about 6 years. Replaced with a Motorcraft type battery of same part number.

So Ford did use 2 different types of battery as OEM parts in 2007 depending on the options on your car.

Edited by mhr1961

In THE 2007 Mustang Owners Manual Page 241. It says the following:

Battery BXT-96R

Battery - (with High Electrical content) BXT-40R

I would assume high electrical content is going to be The Shaker 1000,

Nav, HID etc.

The manual does not designate or define what “high electrical content” means.

Oddly enough the 2008 Manual on lists only the BTX-96R which is the lower output battery, but if I am not mistaken they may have had a change/ improvement in alternators in late 2007/early 2008.

The battery original in my 2008 Shelby GT was a Battery BXT-96R and my car is “loaded” with HID Headlights, Navigation, Convertible Top, Multidisc CD changer and Heated Seats. My original battery lasted about 6 years. Replaced with a Motorcraft type battery of same part number.

So Ford did use 2 different types of battery as OEM parts in 2007 depending on the options on your car.

Interesting but I`am not so sure it was because of the Shaker 1,000 as I do not have it & I know of another car that doesn`t we both have the BXT -40-R which is still going in my car .

Is there an AZ on the battery just before the BXT?

BTW, Ford on their info website even states that batteries in group sizes and are somewhat interchangeable across different cars and that depending on which area of the country or world you are in and the type of weather in the area that you may want to select a different battery, i.e., for cold climates you may want a higher CCA. Also unless you had your car shipped directly to you from the factory it could very well be that your battery could have easily been swapped at the dealership before you bought it ( It does happen).......are you trying to document that you have an ultra rare 1 of 1 Shelby with a unique battery?

Edited by mhr1961

BTW, Ford on their info website even states that batteries in group sizes and are somewhat interchangeable across different cars and that depending on which area of the country or world you are in and the type of weather in the area that you may want to select a different battery, i.e., for cold climates you may want a higher CCA. Also unless you had your car shipped directly to you from the factory it could very well be that your battery could have easily been swapped at the dealership before you bought it ( It does happen).......are you trying to document that you have an ultra rare 1 of 1 Shelby with a unique battery?

No not that at all if you had read all the posts. Just curious if there was a reason for the different style batteries or that Ford ran the BXT 40 R on the line & then a new shipment came in & they were BXT96 R . When the dealer punched in my ser # it told him my car should have a BXT 96 -R for a battery, that isn`t the case , so if another owner went in & they sold him a BXT 40 R battery when he actual had a BXT 96 R it wouldn`t fit in his sleeve.

I guess the bottom line is make sure you check to see what battery is in your vehicle, because what Ford tells you & your manual is not always right.

Edited by shelby001