TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT/SC Wheel and Tire Upgrade

I am looking to pick up a new set of rims and tires this summer. I have been looking online to figure out the right tire size, but I am getting conflicting answers. I am looking at the CS70 20X9 with 30mm offset for the front and CS70 20X10 with a 45 mm offset.

I see on most sites that the recommended tires are 255/35-20 for the front and 275/35-20. I want to know if with a stock SGT suspension if a 305 or 295 tire would fit on the rear without rubbing. Also if anyone recommends going any wider than 255 in the front.

On stock suspension a 295 might fit but it's going to look bad without at least a panhard bar to center the body. Also with a 295, you'll probably stick out of the fender a bit. I run 285's all the way around and they are right on the line with the sidewall sticking out a hair. You'll want to do your own calculations with that wheel size using the backspace and offset to measure. Good luck take pics!

Oh and with a 9" rim on the front, I would not go wider than a 265 it's going to bulge and affect grip and wear negatively.

Edited by TheKurgan

I am looking to pick up a new set of rims and tires this summer. I have been looking online to figure out the right tire size, but I am getting conflicting answers. I am looking at the CS70 20X9 with 30mm offset for the front and CS70 20X10 with a 45 mm offset.

I see on most sites that the recommended tires are 255/35-20 for the front and 275/35-20. I want to know if with a stock SGT suspension if a 305 or 295 tire would fit on the rear without rubbing. Also if anyone recommends going any wider than 255 in the front.

I am not a fan of 20" rims for a variety of reasons (they do look nice) including the ride. On my GT/SC, I went with KR wheels and the standard size tires for the GT500 (255's front and 285's rear). I am replacing my tires soon and am going to 275's all around. I use 275's all around for my race tires for the car so I know the 275's do not rub on the front. Our GT/SC's have more power than any tires can effectively hook to the ground, so getting tires wider than 275's is a waste. I have found that, with racing tires anyway, the same size tires all around works quite well in a tight road coarse like the small track at Willow Springs. Good luck with this.

Jim

Even with 275's on the rear, you will want an adjustable panhard rod. Mine rubbed a bit on the drivers side with 275's with out it, and it really looks bad. It's cheap and something you will want no matter what combination you go with. Just plan on it.

Even with 275's on the rear, you will want an adjustable panhard rod. Mine rubbed a bit on the drivers side with 275's with out it, and it really looks bad. It's cheap and something you will want no matter what combination you go with. Just plan on it.

Agreed on the panhard rod. I have a Fays 2 Watts Link on my car.

I am not a fan of 20" rims for a variety of reasons (they do look nice) including the ride. On my GT/SC, I went with KR wheels and the standard size tires for the GT500 (255's front and 285's rear). I am replacing my tires soon and am going to 275's all around. I use 275's all around for my race tires for the car so I know the 275's do not rub on the front. Our GT/SC's have more power than any tires can effectively hook to the ground, so getting tires wider than 275's is a waste. I have found that, with racing tires anyway, the same size tires all around works quite well in a tight road coarse like the small track at Willow Springs. Good luck with this.

Jim

I second that and the price of tires for a 20" inch is going to be $300+. Compare that to these 18" tires you can get right now on close out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=84YR8ECDW&tab=Sizes

I think it depends if you are using them for street or track. I have 20/9 inch Razors with 255/35 front, 275/35 rear tires for street. I use 18/9.5 Apex wheels with 275/40 tires at all four corners for the track.

I agree 100%, I have staggered 20's and noticed very little difference in the ride between these and the stock 18's. I am sure over rough patches of road there is a difference, but how often do you go over those?

Mine is a weekend toy, in my case 20's was all I looked at, and I have exactly what you listed for tires, 275 back and 255 front.

I second that and the price of tires for a 20" inch is going to be $300+. Compare that to these 18" tires you can get right now on close out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=84YR8ECDW&tab=Sizes

I have a set of 07 GT500 take off wheels I plan on using for track use. I am looking for 20in wheels for street driving only.

I have a set of 07 GT500 take off wheels I plan on using for track use. I am looking for 20in wheels for street driving only.

I feel ya, but don't forget more rubber on the front for street driving will help you stop better and better in the rain also.

I saw a ford racing panhard rod used on the Boss racing cars for about $235. Is it worth spending that much or is the Watts link worth the extra $400

My Saleen Gurney Tribute car has the Saleen proprietary Watts Link on it. The car feels way more "planted" than my SGT with an adjustable panhard bar.

In all honesty however, if you're not tracking the car, the Watts Link would be a waste of dough. For me, it is..... But it came with the pkg.

Thats a great price on the Conti's. I have a set of KR wheels waiting for some new meats. Will 285's work on all four corners?

Well, I am running 285/35/18's on all 4 corners and there is no rubbing. That link I posted is for 285/40/18's which is taller so Clark may be right about those particular tires. You need at least a 9.5" wheel for those tires as per the manufacturers recommendation which is what I have.

Yeah, so I just doubled checked and I don't see the 285/35/18's are available anymore, at least not at tire rack. My tires would fall in between the 30 and 40 series as far as height. I'm sad to see Continental discontinuing this tire. I love them, but they are supposed to replace them with something better, we'll see. Here is a pic of mine on the front:

WP_20170119_001.jpg

contis.png

I must have had too much coffee this morning. Tire Rack does have my tire still!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&width=285%2F&ratio=35&diameter=18&partnum=835YR8ECDWXL

So the Extreme DW's at 27" would be close. You can see I still have a little room left with the 285/35 series. On the back side, I can get one finger in there and these 285/40's have the same section width. Your wheel is going to come in to play when you are playing this close.

Edited by TheKurgan

The stock tires are 235/50/18 and are 27.3" in diameter per tire size calculator.com. 285/40/18 tires are 27" in diameter so that is not a concern. The added width is what worries me. More research is necessary before I pull the trigger.

Yep, sorry, I added more to my post. You are correct, you need a wheel that is going to have backspace similar to my Steeda Pentar's to avoid hitting the strut with a 285.

Still looking for backspace specs for the Alcoa KR wheels. Lets hope I find it before those tires are gone. They also have the 255 45 18 for the front at 113.00. Might just go that route.

It will probably be best to go with the 285 rear and 255 front to be on the safe side.

Edited by roblectric

Running 295x35x18 on 18x10 SVE wheels on all four corners, BMR watts on mine but like others have said you will need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear. I have zero rubbing issues. +43mm offset 7.2 back spacing. Stock springs, brembos up front.

Edited by slbgtsc

Still looking for backspace specs for the Alcoa KR wheels. Lets hope I find it before those tires are gone. They also have the 255 45 18 for the front at 113.00. Might just go that route.

It will probably be best to go with the 285 rear and 255 front to be on the safe side.

KR wheels are the same as the 18' GT500 wheel in dimensions. I do not know the backspace off the top of my head, but the offset is +45. Edited by EL SHELBY

• 3 weeks later...

@BIKEBOY,

I see you have the Shelby Cragar wheels like the 2011 GT350 on your SGT. How did you get those? Are they takeoffs from a GT350? I didn't see GT350 etched into them so I wasn't sure. Would love to get my hands on a set of those

thanks!

• 1 month later...

@BIKEBOY,

I see you have the Shelby Cragar wheels like the 2011 GT350 on your SGT. How did you get those? Are they takeoffs from a GT350? I didn't see GT350 etched into them so I wasn't sure. Would love to get my hands on a set of those

thanks!

pm sent, revan

:salute:

• 1 month later...

I went with American Racing Torque Thrust M's 20X9 (30 offset) and 20X10 (45 offset) in chrome. I spoke with Tirerack and confirmed these wheels with clear the Shelby Wilwood big brake kit. Going to start saving up for those. Will post pictures after I put the wheels on tomorrow.

I went with American Racing Torque Thrust M's 20X9 (30 offset) and 20X10 (45 offset) in chrome. I spoke with Tirerack and confirmed these wheels with clear the Shelby Wilwood big brake kit. Going to start saving up for those. Will post pictures after I put the wheels on tomorrow.

:lurk:

20" just seemed to be to much wheel for me - stuck with 18" staggered American Muscle Bullits for awhile, then when the big brakes came along, found a set of 19" staggered Boss wheels shod with Nitto Invos, 285/35 in back, 255/40 up front.

gallery_13043_1123_227272.jpg

Sam