TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ENGINE TICK

Mustang5

Hi Guys, I have a 2017 GT350 with 1600 miles on it. At around 650 miles I noticed that the engine started to make a ticking sound ( like a bad lifter or exhaust leak type of sound) when the car was cold. So when I start it up for the first time of the day it will start and sound fine at idle. Then when I start to drive it, I get a fairly loud tick (loud enough to here outside the car for a block) starting at 2000 rpm on up although it is most obvious between 2000 and 3000 rpm (probably because all of the other noises over shadow it above 3000 rpm). The sound comes and goes between 2000 and 3000 rpm as I lightly accelerate and then coast. As the car warms up, oil temperature above 190 and about 5 to 10 minutes of driving the noise slowly quiets although does not go completely away. Has any one else experienced this problem.

I have a 2016 with similar issue and, in addition, it has consumed 7 quarts of oil in the first 7,000 miles. I'm currently working with Ford on a resolution.

I have the same noise but no oil consumption. I'm heading to the dealership today for my first oil change I will let them know about the noise as well. How are you able to check the amount of oil consumed?

I have the same noise but no oil consumption. I'm heading to the dealership today for my first oil change I will let them know about the noise as well. How are you able to check the amount of oil consumed?

if the dipstick shows it needs oil it's consuming oil! Keep track of how much oil you add to keep it at the full mark.

Ah good to know. I have not checked my oil yet, I will do that in the near future. I did mention the tick to my service adviser and he said that another local GT350 was making the same sound. Based on that he was somewhat dismissive as being normal based on two cars both doing the same thing. That's like saying because two cars caught on fire during normal driving that it is ok. To me we have identified a common problem. I find it embarrassing to drive through my neighborhood in the morning with my beautiful new car and have the engine sound like it's coming apart.

I am going to take the car to a different dealership and have them check it out. I pray that this horrible sound isn't going to be diagnosed as normal.

Yes, Check your oil level. There was a post over on one of the GT350 Facebook Sites about having to add oil to the engine. One claimed that his car used 1 quart every 500 miles. I have seen this happen with European engines, mostly V8s and a certain 4 cylinder turbo (VW/Audi.... cough, cough). So yes, please check you oil level, I have 2700 miles since my last oil change, and the level is just below the low mark, so yes, I'll a little.

It would not surprise me if these cars consume (burn) oil, especially if driven hard. Otherwise, why would we all be looking to or buying OIL SEPARATORS, you know it will happen if FORD recommends them if you run your car on a track.

So now with 1800 miles on my car I am just about at the add mark on the oil dip stick. I'm guessing that if we all drove our cars around at 2000 to 3500 rpm like most cars the oil would go a lot farther, but that's not what these cars are about is it. So it's good that we are all aware of a higher then normal oil burn.

That still brings us back to my original question though, what is causing some of these engines to tick. It is down right embarrassing to drive my car when it is cold. If any one has a clue please chime in.

2300 miles and no tick here. Interesting for sure. I've heard that they will consume some oil if you don't drive hard enough to seat the rings after the break-in, but ticking? I've heard ticking on a gen 6 GT mustang in person, I wonder if it's a similar sound?

Other forums and Ytube search will pull up quite a bit on this. See if anything has a similar sound.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took my car to my local Ford Dealership and this is what they turned up: SSM 46173 states that some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit piston rattle from idle to 3000 rpm and that this is a normal operating condition of this engine, The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500 to 3000 rpm range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 rpm range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

I'm not satisfied with this answer and neither is my service advisor. He is seeking additional support and I will report if anything else turns up.

So I took my car to my local Ford Dealership and this is what they turned up: SSM 46173 states that some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit piston rattle from idle to 3000 rpm and that this is a normal operating condition of this engine, The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500 to 3000 rpm range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 rpm range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

I'm not satisfied with this answer and neither is my service advisor. He is seeking additional support and I will report if anything else turns up.

I had the same issue, I mean exactly the same issue on my '08 GT. I went back to the dealer about 5 days after I bought the car. To make a long story short Ford sent a rep to make a decision regarding the noise. I told them that repairing the engine was not an option. After inspecting the car on a lift when cold it was determined that the noise was real, probably a piston.

Once warm the noise was gone, car ran perfectly but I would never buy this as a "normal" condition. Ford ordered and shipped a Complete engine, said they took it off the assembly line. Dealer called me when the engine came in. I watched them uncrate it. It was complete with wiring harnesses fuel system etc 2 days later I was driving my car . . Whole process took 2 weeks. Eight years and 25000 miles later it still runs like new, the second engine that is.

As a side note;

My new GT350 is the finest car I have ever owned, and I have been driving for over 50 years.............

Edited by Aztec

• 5 weeks later...

In regards to the "piston slap" the vibration noise or rattle at low rpm and light load, it is a flat plane crank shaft v8. They vibrate. That's why the cross plane was invented.

The oil consumption I would like to know what's going on with these cars. I haven't consumed oil(yet) I haven't even gone over 1000 miles yet.

Anyone else using oil other than motorcraft?

• 5 months later...

Hey all....1st time post here....I also have a 2016 GT350 with a lil over 500 mile... and yes about the 400mile mark I was hearing that ticking noise which sounds like rockers ticking away on right bank of engine. At 1500-2000rpm is where you hear it the loudest and anything above that higher RPM it is still there but you need to listen closely. From what I heard that ford is aware of this " what I call a problem " which they say is normal. So, I have talked to a few dealer friends etc. and what needs to be addressed is that any GT350 owners that have this ticking noise is to start a paper trail by taking your ticking GT350 to the dealer and have them look at it which will be documented in the Ford Dealer Data Base. This way if anything happens you covered your A$$$$$...I will be taking mine in for the recall oil lines and also make them aware of the ticking noise and have it documented....p.s. sorry for the long post....