TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How much oil should a GT350 burn?

1320lol

Newbie here.

I'm a bit concerned that my GT350 (17) has gone through 2.5 quarts

of oil in the first 3750 miles. Having owned a few performance cars

from new, I'm wondering if I have a problem.

I've looked through the documentation and can't locate an oil

consumption amount that FORD states is acceptable.

Is this an issue?

Thanks,

A.

Edited by 1320lol

There is a lot of discussion about oil leaks and oil cooler issues in the GT350 section of Team Shelby. .Either way, If I were you I would:

1. check under the car for an oil leak.

2. Take it to the dealer immediately for an inspection.

Maybe this link will help:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/92126-gt350-engine-oil-cooler-recall/

Thanks for the reply.

The car is a daily driver and is only parked in

two locations for any length of time. No sign

of a leak.

Does Ford provide consumption numbers for

the car?

Thanks,

A.

No and its just not Ford. Manufacturers rarely if ever define what excessive oil consumption is but what you want to do is take the car into the dealership so that you will have documentation that you "complained" back in November 2016 about this issue. This way if you ever have a problem, even a problem that occurs after your warranty ends, you can go back and show that you "complained" about this issue which has now become a bigger problem. Lets hope not on the bigger problem part.

Its all about documentation, be sure to keep all paper receipts. Do not rely solely on the manufacturers service database.

Steve

It's possible that the factory shorted the fill

but I would have thought they would catch

this with the PDI.

I'm kicking myself for not checking this after

I Picked it up. This is not something I've ever

thought about with a new car.

I'm going to take it in as suggested. I'll also

figure out exactly how many miles I'm getting

per quart.

Thanks for the feedback.

A.

I talked to a 16 GT350 owner this past weekend at VIR and he mentioned he has changed his oil twice but used 3.5 quarts the first 3k miles. Must be something to this. Like Steve said, I would get the car to a dealer for documentation purposes.

My Boss used about a 3/4 quart of oil the first 4000 miles and a 1/2 the next 4000. After 8 or 9000 miles everything was normal. Now have 14,000 miles and it's fine. I was told some of the Boss's rings take more time to seat. It always performed great and I never had a problem. I know there was a lot of talk on this issue back then but I don't know anything on the GT350. Just a thought.

My Boss used about a 3/4 quart of oil the first 4000 miles and a 1/2 the next 4000. After 8 or 9000 miles everything was normal. Now have 14,000 miles and it's fine. I was told some of the Boss's rings take more time to seat. It always performed great and I never had a problem. I know there was a lot of talk on this issue back then but I don't know anything on the GT350. Just a thought.

Good to hear from you Don.

I remember you talking about this...

Newbie here.

I'm a bit concerned that my GT350 (17) has gone through 2.5 quarts

of oil in the first 3750 miles. Having owned a few performance cars

from new, I'm wondering if I have a problem.

I've looked through the documentation and can't locate an oil

consumption amount that FORD states is acceptable.

Is this an issue?

Thanks,

A.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get the car to the dealer at 6000kms.

This is the first oil change and the dealer took

care of it.

They didn't seem shocked but made a record of

the problem. They wanted to know if I was tracking

the car.

My service rep stated that Ford didn't have a

a standard for oil consumption for vehicles.

Five minutes later one of their techs stated there

was a standard but he was unsure of the number

for the GT350.

I have to believe Ford has a level that is unacceptable.

A.

Believe me....they (Ford Motor Co) knows what these cars should and shouldn't be doing. Behind closed doors they're scurrying around trying to get a handle on this.

Mechanical things (especially new ones) have bugs to work out. Not all of them are evident in a few years of random testing.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like an excessive amount of oil . I have 1600 miles on my GT 350 all street driving and I check the oil on a regular basis and so far it has not come off the full mark . I raced Porsches in the past and it was not unusual to go through a quart in 250 to 300 miles on one of my cars but this was redline on pretty much every shift and only track driving . Once it ate up the first quart it didn't consume as much basically the oil was getting mixed with air buy the crankshaft , connecting rods etc and winding up in the air oil separator then getting sucked in through the intake manifold . Are you tracking the car with high G loads ? If you are adding an aftermarket separator will help keep the oil out of the intake manifold . Not sure if this info is helpful . The other possibility is the piston rings have yet to seat in your engine or as was already mentioned it was never full from the factory . Hopefully it's something simple .

• 3 weeks later...

I am on other GT350 web sites but this is a on going issue. One GT350 owner who had excessive oil loss for unknown reasons finally got Ford to put a new engine in his GT350.

I myself at 3000 miles was a quart low. The store I work for is now doing a oil consumption test and at 4000 miles I used about 1/2 a quart of oil. I just happened to find this post on this forum which

I happened to still be a member but no longer post alot

I can be found on the ShelbyGT350 forum which is party to this forum

don

• 1 month later...

Had my car checked today and I was another 1/2 quart down. So over 2000 miles I used 1 qt. total which is supposedly in the acceptable range of ford. I am still going to have the store I work at moniter this for another 3 to 4000 more miles before I stop checking.

The car is eating oil yes but not nearly the amounts like others

don

• 5 months later...

After 1000 miles had tube replaced at dealer. After first oil change I just checked today after pressure looked off. No warning lights. U have 5360 miles on it still had 700 miles to go change every 3k with Castrol synthetic 550 10 qt .

Well today saw low 5qt of oil? Wtf

Update:

The car has about 12k miles on it now. Oil consumption seems steady at

a quart every 1600 miles or so.

I discussed this with my service rep and he did some checking. It appears

that Ford has instructed dealers that the car can use as much as a quart

every 800 miles. ( Ford suggests this would be the case if the car was

being driven agressivly or tracked. ) I am certainly guilty of aggressive

driving.

Rep showed me a tech bulitin but wasn't interested in giving me a copy.

I'm not too worried about it at this point but would be a lot happier

if it was a quart every 3k miles or so.

A.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if build date makes much a difference but mine was built June 2nd 2017 H4732

Had my first oil change done at 2500 miles it was down around 1 qt. with 2oz in catch can, I can live with that. Compared to my 2012 Roush Stage 3 that went through 4 qt. in first 800 miles. Did consumption test then replaced short block at 1600 miles.

From 2017 GT350 supplement version 2

You can drive high performance vehicles in such a way that may lead to higher oil
consumption (this includes extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine
braking, hard cornering maneuvers, and track use). Under these conditions, oil
consumption of approximately 1 quart per 500 miles (1 liter per 800 km) is possible.
As a result, you need to check the engine oil level at every refueling and adjust to
maintain proper levels to avoid engine damage.

• 7 months later...

Hello, I'm new here. I got here because i was looking into this issue. I have a 16 gt350 Tech pack. I bought it with 2k miles on it i now have 29k. It's my daily driver and I'm on my 4th oil change but it's 5th. I've never had an issue with the oil level till this interval. It began making a noise that sounds to be coming from the valve train. So i checked the oil level in spite of there being no indication of an issue there. She was 6 quarts low, yeah 6! I took it to a different dealer than the one that performed the oil change. I'm having difficulty with them acknowledging a problem. I don't know where to go with this but i can't imagine no damage being done running on 4 quarts. At first i was convinced they underfilled at the last oil change but now I'm not sure. Any thoughts. Other that "check your oil more" i got that one figured out already... now. Thanks

Edited by Eharrisr