TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Change Sticker Shock

sebecke1

So, I had a bit of a shock when I took my car in for her first oil change: Ten quarts of 5w 50 full synthetic oil at $19.99 per quart, new filter -- $34.00 Total with tax was $273!

Worth it of course to keep this great car running at peak power and efficiency, but still shocking nonetheless.

Scott

So, I had a bit of a shock when I took my car in for her first oil change: Ten quarts of 5w 50 full synthetic oil at $19.99 per quart, new filter -- $34.00 Total with tax was $273!

Worth it of course to keep this great car running at peak power and efficiency, but still shocking nonetheless.

Scott

While I would certainly recommend that the dealer perform GT350 oil changes it appears that you were charged full list price for the parts. The Ford synthetic oil can be found online at $15 including shipping and Rock Auto has the GT350 oil filter for $14.37

By bringing your own parts you could have reduced the oil change by around $70.00 or you could always price compare dealers if you have more than one Ford dealership in your area.

But again, I personally believe its best to have GT350 oil changes performed by the dealer because of the oiling issues some of these cars are having.

At least you have peace of mind, be sure to hold onto your receipt.

Steve

While I would certainly recommend that the dealer perform GT350 oil changes it appears that you were charged full list price for the parts. The Ford synthetic oil can be found online at $15 including shipping and Rock Auto has the GT350 oil filter for $14.37

By bringing your own parts you could have reduced the oil change by around $70.00 or you could always price compare dealers if you have more than one Ford dealership in your area.

But again, I personally believe its best to have GT350 oil changes performed by the dealer because of the oiling issues some of these cars are having.

At least you have peace of mind, be sure to hold onto your receipt.

Steve

I agree wholeheartedly, Steve. What price can you put on your peace of mind? The service manager knew all about torqueing the filter to proper spec, and already was aware of the oil cooler hose recall.

As far as the hose is concerned, on another forum they've mentioned that it would start to leak before it actually detaches. As a result, I've gotten into the habit of checking the oil pressure gauge on a regular basis when driving.

Edited by sebecke1

Had mine changed at the Dealer. $143.83, but they initially wanted to charge me $55.00 for the filter until I told them that retail was $35. The oil, should be in the $9 to 11.99 range, and remember that the car takes 10 qrts.

As a former Ford Factory Rep I highly recommend you get oil changes at the dealership; at least while under warranty.

With the current (as possibly future) issues you need to create a detailed record trail of performing recommended factory maintenance.

If there ever is an issue down the road, you will have the documentation to request a 'factory adjustment.'

Scott

At that price, wouldn't it pay to buy the Ford Premium Maintenance Plan? I've had it on all of my GT500's. Oil change (full synthetic) every 5k miles. Covers the clutch disc and the Brembo brake pads as well.

At that price, wouldn't it pay to buy the Ford Premium Maintenance Plan? I've had it on all of my GT500's. Oil change (full synthetic) every 5k miles. Covers the clutch disc and the Brembo brake pads as well.

I may be wrong here but I thought Ford's maintenance plan excluded that or does Ford just charge a higher price for that plan? Seems to me that the fine print always excluded things like synthetic oil and diesel maintenance items.

Have things changed and I'm just not up to date on the current plans?

I may be wrong here but I thought Ford's maintenance plan excluded that or does Ford just charge a higher price for that plan? Seems to me that the fine print always excluded things like synthetic oil and diesel maintenance items.

I just did a little looking around on the internet and it appears Ford removed the synthetic oil ban back starting with the 2010 GT500. Before that as I had remembered Ford did not offer maintenance plans for the 2007-09 GT500's because of the synthetic oil requirement.

It also appears Ford now prices the maintenance plan based on the vehicle meaning synthetic oil & diesel owners pay more for their plan.

Depending on the plan price it may be worth the cost.

Steve

Scott

Not bad, really. Only $233 more than I paid.

:drop:

No, it's not excluded. I have the plan for my GT500. There's a box that gets checked off for synthetic oil. The plan does charge a little more for it; but, so worth it. That is if it's a daily driver I should add. My GT500 is and I put about 9-10k miles a year on, so every 5k the oil gets changed. It covers clutch disc, brake pads, etc. At least get a quote for one on your car, you might be surprised.

Edited by BCPD199

I just bought a 2017 truck. I didn't even bother to ask what was included I just instinctively said no thanks. lol

Go back and get at least get a quote. You pick the time interval for maintenance (ie: 5k, 7,500k, etc.) Look at your owner's manual, when the schedule says replace air fitler, they replace it, cabin filter, they replace it. On the GT500, I know it's going to need brakes and a clutch before 75k. All covered.

Go back and get at least get a quote. You pick the time interval for maintenance (ie: 5k, 7,500k, etc.) Look at your owner's manual, when the schedule says replace air fitler, they replace it, cabin filter, they replace it. On the GT500, I know it's going to need brakes and a clutch before 75k. All covered.

It was just over $5000. I didn't even ask what it covered because there's no way in heck I'm going to use $5000 worth of oil and brake pads in the next 10 years.

Edit.

My cars only go back to dealership for warranty work. I do all my own maintenance.

Edited by sheppd01

It was just over $5000. I didn't even ask what it covered because there's no way in heck I'm going to use $5000 worth of oil and brake pads in the next 10 years.

Edit.

My cars only go back to dealership for warranty work. I do all my own maintenance.

:clapping: Amen brother.

There are some really good dealerships out there that do good work, but personal experiences will persuade some individuals to switch over to their own maintenance. My final straw was having a ford dealership (that will be left unnamed) forget to torque down my oil drain plug after an oil change and general inspection on my GT500. Nothing like picking up your car with smiles and taking it for a nice easy cruise on the highway to find that when you exit and hit the next light, smoke is billowing up from the heat extractors and hood gaps in large amounts. Then finding out in the parking lot you just pulled into that the bottom of the car is so covered in oil one would think a rod had been thrown through the bottom of the block. A flat bed tow home, much cleaning, and self diagnostic with a call to the dealer allowed us to figure out they forgot to tighten the drain plug... "bring it in and we'll torque it properly" :drop: Umm, no thanks.

Anyways, it's been 90% very well documented self maintenance since and the OCD has kept things in perfect order. ;)

Edited by Hlyshft

I'm OCD as well and used to do my own maintenance. Time, age, whatever; but, I got lucky with my dealership. First off, both '13 & '14 GT500s were at MSRP. And both were ordered to my specs, not off the lot. They've offered me a GT350 at MSRP. The service people are car guys and gal as well. When the car goes up on the lift, I'm allowed around and under it to check out the vehicle.

I'm OCD as well and used to do my own maintenance. Time, age, whatever; but, I got lucky with my dealership. First off, both '13 & '14 GT500s were at MSRP. And both were ordered to my specs, not off the lot. They've offered me a GT350 at MSRP. The service people are car guys and gal as well. When the car goes up on the lift, I'm allowed around and under it to check out the vehicle.

:victory:

My stealership is the same way, they know me well enough that I am allowed underneath with the techs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You mean to tell me....... you didn't get the Premium Service & Maintenance Package for a 2015-2016 new Shelby GT-350? I'm almost certain you paid 10-12K over in ADM. Hell, I got 5 Totally Free Oil & Filter changes over the Break-in oil after driving my 2014 Shelby GT-500 off the lot.

You mean to tell me....... you didn't get the Premium Service & Maintenance Package for a 2015-2016 new Shelby GT-350? I'm almost certain you paid 10-12K over in ADM. Hell, I got 5 Totally Free Oil & Filter changes over the Break-in oil after driving my 2014 Shelby GT-500 off the lot.

NOPE...paid MSRP :thumbsup:

I NEVER pay ANY ADM's.

Bought mine brand new in the wrapper from a TS member here! :happy feet:

They did end up charging me $29.95 at JL though.......said the drain plug gasket was like $10! :doh: