TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hello!!!

I would like to install big brakes on my 2008 Shelby GT. The OEM Brembo from 2007 - 2012 GT500 seems to be a good option. But I really like the classic style of the original wheels and do not want to change them. Do you think I can use spacers? Does anyone have experience with that?

post-46943-0-04617200-1478220127_thumb.jpeg

Spacers will work but, personally, I see spacers as something that put stress upon your suspension because it changes the geometry somewhat. Many have used them and I confess I have a bias against them but big brakes are desirable items on SGTs. Good luck.

Jim

In my opinion, spacers both bolt on and those that slide over the studs put no more stress on the suspension than a wheel with the equivalent lower offset. I've used them on my Jeep for years with no concerns. It will impact handling and braking by effecting the scrub radius, but so would a wheel with same equivalent offset. But know that you may have to replace your existing wheel studs depending on the spacer you use. You have to have sufficient thread engagement between the stud and lug nut. If the stud is shortened due to the spacer you must go with a longer stud. For what you are looking to do, you will need a bolt on spacer/adapter which should be fine with your existing studs.

As long as you have a quality hub centric spacer that is specific to your car and they are installed as directed by the manufacturer you should have no issues. H&R provides a quality spacer. If you still have concerns or questions I would contact them directly.

This is a great brake upgrade for the car and using a quality spacer it should be no problem ... only thing I might change is to go to a less brake dust producing pad then what is included with the kit.

I can second that statement!! I purchased the same brembo package and love them, except for the pads Talk about an extreme amount of dust, friggin horrible!. when I replace them I'm going a different route for sure!

Thank you guys for all the replies... You are helping me a lot!

I think I should first change the brakes and only then choose the smaller possible spacer to lessen any kind of change in suspension geometry. I will look for H&R spacers...

Great tip on the issue of brake pads too.

Another question... The spacers are not recommended for use on track days?

There are guys who use them, and have had no issues, but usually their intent is to get as much rubber in the wheel-wells as possible by using a wider wheel with not enough offset to fit the car and avoiding the cost of a custom built wheel. There are plenty of wheel options for the S197 that will fit up to a 305 tire without suspension mods. The occasional track day, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it's something you seriously interested in I would invest is a good wheel and tire setup. The OE wheels are pretty heavy and adding a spacer is just adding to the unsprung weight which is detrimental to the cars balance and responsiveness on the track. As mentioned above your scrub radius is moved to the positive making turning more difficult and placing more strain on the steering rack and decreasing your stability under braking. On the flip side it should increase the feedback you feel through the steering wheel. Many dedicated race car setups intentionally have a positive scrub radius. I've heard stories of guys killing front wheel bearings/unit bearings by using spacer on the track, but tracking a car is hard on wheel bearings period.

Again, give H&R a call, not sure if they will honor their warranty if you use them on a track.

This is the URL for a page that addresses the fitment of Original Bullitt-style wheels over the GT500 Brembo brakes.

I ran dozens of autocross laps with the (expensive) H&R 25mm (one-inch) spacers on both axles, with no ill effects. I wouldn't hesitate to do an occasional track event with the same setup.

I now have one-inch eBaY spacers (much less expensive and very-well-made) on my newest Mustang, stock polished aluminum 18x8 wheels. They do move the wheels out to the edge of the fenders. I'll replace the front ones with 15mm spacers, since the tires just barely contact the splash guards when backing up at full lock.

I put the same kit ,on GTH, (07-367), I used a 1/4 spacer, from Baer brakes, and everything went together fine. The problem that you run into is that the height of the new rotor is 1/4 inch shorter than the original rotor, I also switched the wheel/tire package to the newer performance package 19 inch package (19 x9 front & 19x19.5 rear) and the the car handles looks & stops unbelievable.

Hope this helps, and enjoy

Do yourself a favor and do not use spacers. Either change brake option or wheel option but on a vehicle if driven aggressively or even tracked spacers are not recommended

My idea is just to improve safety in braking. I do not fell safe with these brakes in a emergency situation and see no other way at a lower cost to solve this problem.

If your "emergency situation" is a one-time quick stop, bigger brakes contribute very, very little to any improvement in safety. Bigger brakes stand up better to repeated hard braking applications with little cool-off time between uses because of heat-sink properties. Absolute braking-distance differences between big brakes and standard brakes are small. Emergency-braking improvements are influenced more by tires and pads than by brake caliper and disc configuration.

There is a good grounding in brake performance on s197forum - corner carve racing tech discussion - track brake tech.

Edited by Frank S