TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 Engine Oil Cooler Recall

btaylor101

Mustang6g.com has posted information about Ford recalling certain GT350's due to insufficient crimps causing an oil leak and possible fire. Here is a copy of the recall notice I got from owner.ford.com

• Recall Date: OCT 24, 2016
  • Recall Title: ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT
  • NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
  • Ford Recall Number: 16S40
  • Recall Description: ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLIES ON VEHICLES BUILT WITHIN THE SUSPECT DATE RANGE MAY HAVE INSUFFICIENT CRIMPS THAT COULD LEAD TO A HOSE SEPARATION AND AN OIL LEAK.
  • Risk to Safety: SUDDEN LOSS OF ENGINE OIL MAY RESULT IN ENGINE FAILURE, AND IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A FIRE.
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLY REPLACED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

There has been a couple of websites announcing that Ford has issued a "stop sale memo" preventing dealerships from selling and prohibiting any demo driving of the gt350 until further notice.

You can drive your car. Mine is on the list (2016 without track pack) and my daily driver with nothing for back up to drive. My dealership knows its my daily driver and without track pack won't be tracking it any way. They got in touch with Special Service Center and told them and here is the response. "Since the bulletin will not be launched until next year, please advise the owner to monitor his oil and watch for large spills. He can have his vehicle towed to the dealership and repaired and request a refund later if there is no remaining warranty coverage. The owner can continue to operate the vehicle with the advance knowledge of the concern, so he knows what to look for. There is nothing authorized under the advance notice. Thank you for contacting SSSC". My dealership checked mine and it was dry and told me to just stop by every week or so and they would check it.

Edited by johnny1

That's all well and fine but...WHAT IF? I'd hate to be THAT owner with the worst possible scenario. It's really not worth risking life and limb, IMO. That being said, if I was single I'd be all over it daily. LOL

Edit: I just think it's kind of relevant that the recall mentions the possibility of fire. If only THAT hadn't been in there... AND the recall states no test drives and sales of affected cars should be halted. I'd say that's reason enough to not drive it.

Edited by Cynthia Olofsson

I live in Fl and will KEEP driving mine. I will stop when Ford makes the payment or provides something equal or better to drive...

That's exactly what I'm looking in to.

Once I get the letter I'm requesting a loaner. If GM can provide a loaner on the ignition switch replacement so can ford. My Chevy sat in my garage until the part came in. Two months with a loaner. Ford says no injuries but who wants to be the first. I would never put a child in the back seat strapped in. There's a guy on the mustang G6 forum that lost a Snap ring on the oil cooler. He was going 120 mph @ the track was lucky he didn't loose his brake lines in the fire. That situation and the failure has never been discussed by Ford. The car was a complete fire ball.

I'm already speaking to Ford about a loaner. I'm familiar with the 6G member who lost his car on track. I thought he DID lose his brakes? He got an R out of the whole mess so I guess he's happy. Either way, I agree; it's just not worth the risk to continue driving it, especially with my son in the car!

That's exactly what I'm looking in to.

I'm already speaking to Ford about a loaner. I'm familiar with the 6G member who lost his car on track. I thought he DID lose his brakes? He got an R out of the whole mess so I guess he's happy. Either way, I agree; it's just not worth the risk to continue driving it, especially with my son in the car!

From what I read he lost the brakes via the brake fluid boiling due to the fire, then he pulled the E brake and the cable snapped resulting in a brief OSM, then he down shifted and let the clutch out..... Edited by mhr1961

I'm surprised that with something potentially this dangerous that there isn't some sort of easy, simple temporary fix that can be done. Is it so complicated? I ask because truly I have no idea.

I'm surprised that with something potentially this dangerous that there isn't some sort of easy, simple temporary fix that can be done. Is it so complicated? I ask because truly I have no idea.

No, it's not complicated but the parts aren't available yet. Belly pan and part of the front splitter have to be removed, though. If I can't get a loaner I'm going to look in to a fix myself.

Just spoke to Ford. I didn't have the cajones to ask for a loaner because the rep immediately started suggesting that a Ford dealership could inspect the car for leaks. If it starts to leak it's possibly too late. Don't think she understood that. That being said, I'll do that, even though the dealership here had NO idea about the recall. Ugh!

Hasn't the recall letter above only been sent to Ford Dealers so far? No owners have actually received a recall letter or anything stating we shouldn't drive our cars, right? I think we on these forums tend to be a little better informed than the general public. Granted driving your car could be a risk, but I guess I plan on driving mine until I get something official from Ford tell me to stop, or the car blows up. :banghead: Mine will have to go to sleep for the winter in a couple weeks anyway, but I feel for you warm weather state drivers.

Hasn't the recall letter above only been sent to Ford Dealers so far? No owners have actually received a recall letter or anything stating we shouldn't drive our cars, right? I think we on these forums tend to be a little better informed than the general public. Granted driving your car could be a risk, but I guess I plan on driving mine until I get something official from Ford tell me to stop, or the car blows up. :banghead: Mine will have to go to sleep for the winter in a couple weeks anyway, but I feel for you warm weather state drivers.

Yeah, customers will receive the recall letter around the week of December 12. When I spoke to Ford two days ago they had some pretty shitting logic that they expected me to swallow. They said they aren't sending out the letters to customers now because there is no fix, yet when I asked if there would be a fix next month after we receive the recall notice the rep said no! He confirmed there would be NO fix until the first quarter of '17 so... I just find this whole thing suspicious. Can't sell or allow test drives of new vehicles but we can keep on driving them at our peril? Whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
Recall Description: ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLIES ON VEHICLES BUILT WITHIN THE SUSPECT DATE RANGE MAY HAVE INSUFFICIENT CRIMPS THAT COULD LEAD TO A HOSE SEPARATION AND AN OIL LEAK.

So has anyone actually pulled the belly pan yet to take a look that the oil cooler lines and check out these crimps? I found a few pics where you can see the different type of crimps on the trans and oil cooler input/output lines at the front of the car. I wonder if the crimps are of the same type where they tie in at the other end of the tube assemblies. You can see the basic design of the tube end and how the "C" type of bracket creates a tension fitting basically holding it together. In the second pic, the tube end design looks to be the same but I can't tell if someone has already removed the "C" type brackets. My thought is that if the same type of clips are used on the other end, where the tubes intercept under the car, could you not wrap it with something like a high temp, self-fusing, mil grade compression tape that is oil and water resistant? Just to prevent the clip from physically being able to back out.

http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/aa59163-MIL-I-46852-mil-spec-type-silicone-rubber-self-fusing-compression-tapes-wire-cable-hose-splice-avionics-protection.html

At least until we have the final fix from Ford, then just remove the tape. Fyi... I've been using this type of tape on my TJ rock crawler for years with much success. Never venture miles into the unknown without some in the recovery kit. :tumbleweed:

Anyways, I ask because I've been traveling due to work so I haven't had the chance to pull it apart yet. But first opportunity I have I'm going to figure out how it's crimped or what's retaining the lines. I will take pictures and report when I do.

I just wonder if anyone else has had the opportunity?

axh644.jpg

23wse1x.jpg

Edited by Hlyshft

I really don't think it will be too bad to remedy/band-aid while we wait for the fix from Ford. I'm just curious how the lines are connected under the car. I'll tear into it mid/late-Dec and hopefully we'll find out. I need to change the oil and install the tow hook from ZL1addons anyways, so I'll be spending some quality time under the car with the pan pulled. :drool: can't wait lol

Edited by Hlyshft

I really don't think it will be too bad to remedy/band-aid while we wait for the fix from Ford. I'm just curious how the lines are connected under the car. I'll tear into it mid/late-Dec and hopefully we'll find out. I need to change the oil and install the tow hook from ZL1addons anyways, so I'll be spending some quality time under the car with the pan pulled. :drool: can't wait lol

Just ordered the ZL1addon hook, looks like a quality piece

Just ordered the ZL1addon hook, looks like a quality piece

Awesome! I spoke with John (owner) a week ago and he said it was a fairly easy install for the 350. I've had a front and rear kit of his for another track car in the past and was very pleased with the results. I got the steel bracket and necked down shaft/hook, but that titanium one looks nice. It's easy to remove for non-track days as well since it's a two piece design for the hook. You'll see.

I also ordered the splitter guard washers, only to use a few where the front lip likes to touch sometimes pulling into a driveway, etc... These cars are low.