TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My first warranty repair

Leaking CV joint boot on left rear axle

Somehow had a tear in the left rear outer CV joint boot with only 650 miles on the car. Haven't hit or ran over anything. Puked grease all over the place. Took it to my local dealer (Green Ford in Greensboro, NC) for repair. They agreed to replace the axle and rear brake pads under warranty. They've now received two new axles that are bent. Going to put it back together and take it back home until they get in an axle that's usable. A little worrisome from a quality control standpoint that a high speed rotating part (2 now) is getting out of the factory bent. Not likely in my mind that they're getting bent in shipment to the dealer. The dealer service folks have been great.

Edited by esse quam videri

Somehow had a tear in the left rear outer CV joint boot with only 650 miles on the car. Haven't hit or ran over anything. Puked grease all over the place. Took it to my local dealer (Green Ford in Greensboro, NC) for repair. They agreed to replace the axle and rear brake pads under warranty. They've now received two new axles that are bent. Going to put it back together and take it back home until they get in an axle that's usable. A little worrisome from a quality control standpoint that a high speed rotating part (2 now) is getting out of the factory bent. Not likely in my mind that they're getting bent in shipment to the dealer. The dealer service folks have been great.

Disappointing I'm sure but lets hope its just a one time repair and that you'll then have thousands of trouble free miles and smiles.

Steve

Wow ....sorry, but you will be back on the road again and hearing that insane sound. The engine I mean.

I hang out a bit on the mustang G6 forum and so far the 350 has been almost trouble free. No car is ever perfect especially now with all the high performance aspects. The track pack and R's seem to hold up well @ the track events. I went to the North American track tour and those cars run non stop from 9 am until 5pm. 8250rpm's all the time. No problems. The Shelby GT 350R-C just won its 5th race this year. First year car.

Up-date now .....6. The championship also. The only thing is the series has taken a dive in participation with only Porsche and maybe a Aston Martin.

Edited by mach 1 1970

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I ran into the same issue here in Phoenix. If I hadnt asked about the squeaky brakes when purchased it may have gone undetected until too late. Camleback Ford took care of it immediately. Fast forward 5 months and 3500 miles took it in for service today and their mechanics noticed it again L Rear CV joint throwing grease. Im hopeful that they will come through again. Im glad that I found this post it may come in handy if any pushback arises.

• 5 weeks later...

Yup it will. Most of us have the gap some what and even if wasn't there when bought new it eventually happens. Some have tried all different things and so have body shops. And those that said body shop corrected it some time later say it comes back. I hate it but no one has come up with a permanent fix yet that I know of.

I'm sure they have. And I'm sure Fords answer is to take it to your dealership and have it fixed at there body shop under warranty. And you just go in a circle. Fords not going to actually address the issue to find out why they sag and come out with a TSB.

• 5 months later...
On 9/15/2016 at 1:11 PM, esse quam videri said:

Leaking CV joint boot on left rear axle

I’m having this same issue with my brand new 2017! Under 1k miles and the outside boot on the drivers side is puking grease. The dealer called today to tell me they see the same issue with the inner boot but it hasn’t split yet. They are putting new boots on. Thankfully I think my pads and rotor are fine. Did you have an alignment after?

thanks!

On 5/29/2018 at 10:40 PM, tekyguy said:

I’m having this same issue with my brand new 2017! Under 1k miles and the outside boot on the drivers side is puking grease. The dealer called today to tell me they see the same issue with the inner boot but it hasn’t split yet. They are putting new boots on. Thankfully I think my pads and rotor are fine. Did you have an alignment after?

thanks!

I got my GT350 back from the dealer yesterday. They took good care of the car. It took three days to repair the axle boot or should I say boots. They found that the cause of the tear was the way the clamp was crimped. It pinched and tore the boot. They found the same issue with the inner boot which caused day two. Then they received the wrong clamps from ford with the boots and thus couldn’t complete the repair until day three. They ended up taking the axle to a local axle repair shop and they installed the proper clamps. Everything looks good and no alignment required. Only some track time will tell if it’s truly solved. ?

Edited by tekyguy