TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood and grill mods

I posted in another thread but I had some damage to the hood, grill, and front bumper cover the other day. A big piece of sheet metal came flying up in the air out of the back of a large truck and hit the front of my car. It was in heavy traffic and I couldn't get over to get the license plate of the truck before he got off. Aside from the fact it could of come through the windshield and decapitated me, I've realized I'm pretty much SOL on getting them to pay for it, so I filed a claim. I'm starting to think maybe it will work out to my advantage anyway since I could finally replace my hood scoop and stripes(My two biggest gripes since I've owned the car). Here is what I'm thinking.

Fiberglass Tiger Racing hood with the vents painted silver to match the stripes OR deep draw hood. So far the only deep draw hood I see available is the AIT one. Anyone got any experience with this hood ?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-Ford-Mustang-AIT-RACING-Type-SBY-Style-Functional-Extractor-Hood-/350948213682?fits=Year%3A2007%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item51b624c3b2:g:PPsAAOxy3zNSonhm&vxp=mtr

Also noticed that Ford actually sells the OEM hood with the Shelby GT hood scoop, or so it looks like like:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=PXKTUfdUseIMJSr4QBvIhw%3d%3d&id=349211417&m=2&search=true&year=2007&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Anyone confirm that ?

I'm not opposed to going back completely to stock, but I will be getting the stripes painted or remove the top stripes entirely if I get the tiger racing hood.., and I sure would like to replace the warped hood scoop finally or do something about it. I'll post pics when I get it all done.

WP_20160721_001.jpg

Oh by the way, those hood pins are a good thing too since it's possible the hood might of come flying up when it hit without them. I had to hammer the pin out to get the hood up. I was probably doing about 65.

Man you are a lucky guy. Its a crime these days with all the crap we have to put up with on the roads. Good luck on your choices.

Tiger Racing Hood :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I knew you would say that! I think it does look really good and it is the most functional hood out there imo.

Just glad you're not hurt man. :thumbsup:

I kinda dig that AIT hood.... But $400 don't make me feel warm and fuzzy about the quality.

Same here and it appears to be the only choice there is unless a Terilingua hood suddenly comes up for sale. I figured I would get some backlash since my car is getting further and further away from the original look. Generally a big no no around here.

Man you are a lucky guy. Its a crime these days with all the crap we have to put up with on the roads. Good luck on your choices.

Thank you and yes I do feel lucky in that regards. I called the company that owns the trucks and asked them for help in fessing up and helping pay for it, but I have not received a call back yet. State police and my insurance company have both told me there's nothing they can do. The company is a contractor for the railroad and I'm sure they don't want anymore of a negative safety image than they already do. Hopefully they will at least spread the message to their drivers about the way they load their trucks. It was about a 5x3 sheet of diamond plated aluminum. That piece of metal should not have been floating on the top of the load like that.

It's your car so do it like you want it to look! You're driving it, we're not. That said, I've always really liked the stock look. But I did notice that in the Ford catalog they said the hood wasn't shippable.

Found this on ebay - stock hood with scoop, factory black, 1/2 of one stripe missing. This appears to be a new take off that was sitting around. $650

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT Hood OEM SGT

Click

Found this on ebay - stock hood with scoop, factory black, 1/2 of one stripe missing. This appears to be a new take off that was sitting around. $650

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT Hood OEM SGT

Click

Thanks, I did see that one, but I went ahead and ordered a Tiger Racing hood from Chicane23. They gave me flat $75 discount on shipping too so I just couldn't pass it up. I also don't want anymore warped hood scoop. And thanks Kevin for the pics of your car, I'm going to get all the stripes painted just like yours.

While I'm waiting on the hood, I decided to go ahead and prep the car and tape off/remove the stripes so the painter doesn't have to do it. He would of charged me alot more if he had to do it. What a PIA. After 9 years of sun baked stripes, they simply won't come off with heat. I went ahead and ordered some of the Graphix Off chemical that FordRocks used(found it in another thread). I have made some progress with Goof Off. It does make the vinyl peel off pretty easy if you put it on a rag and let it sit for a few minutes, but the progress is still slow. Here is what it looks like currently.

WP_20160729_002.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the exact paint code that I can give to the body shop for the silver stripes ? I've searched around a bit on here, but want to make sure.

This is what I found poking around on the forum here. Have not tried it, but I will in the next couple of months:

Ford Satin Silver code: M7049A

Sherwin Williams # 63454

Shelby GT Lettering is Font: Myraid Pro Bold Italic 163pt

This is what I found poking around on the forum here. Have not tried it, but I will in the next couple of months:

Ford Satin Silver code: M7049A

Sherwin Williams # 63454

Shelby GT Lettering is Font: Myraid Pro Bold Italic 163pt

Thanks, that's the one I had seen also. I just gave it to the body guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you have already had the work done, but there is actually an updated color code for the silver. The attached is the actual code used by Shelby on the higher gloss silver replacement scoops. It has more sparkle and a richer look.

post-24787-0-10263500-1474595662_thumb.jpeg

post-24787-0-97697600-1474595676_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Redlinetoys

Not sure if you have already had the work done, but there is actually an updated color code for the silver. The attached is the actual code used by Shelby on the higher gloss silver replacement scoops. It has more sparkle and a richer look.

Thank you for this! I'm looking at having my stripes painted so.

Awesome! Thank you so much for this!

• 1 month later...

Kurgan - progress report. Also, did you see that they are now producing a replica Bullitt front upper grille for a decent price?

Do you have a link for the Bullitt upper grill? Who is producing it?