TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Track Wheels

• 2 weeks later...

You can find them at apexraceparts.com. They are the EC-7 on sale for $229 and only weight 21.5 lbs. Very similar to the BBS wheels. They are 18/9.5, half a pound heavier but half the price!

Nick

Edited by nnadelizi

You can find them at apexraceparts.com. They are the EC-7 on sale for $229 and only weight 21.5 lbs. Very similar to the BBS wheels. They are 18/9.5, half a pound heavier but half the price!

Nick

I was about to say similar huh they are exact copies and how BBS lets these companies get away with this is shocking

I will post some complete pictures as soon as I get the tires. I am still deciding on tire size, 275/35/18 vs 275/40/18. These are suppose to be for the track but I'm sure I'll put a few street miles on them. With the 35's I will have to make or buy a ramp to get up and down the driveway. I did install one on the front just to check clearance and there was plenty. Here is a few pictures of wheel only.

Apex Wheels 1.jpg

Apex Wheels 2.jpg

Apex Wheels 3.jpg

I am struggling between 275/35/18 or 275/40/18. I understand the 35's will handle better on the track but it might be a little difficult on the street because the car sits low already. I will need to drive to and from the track and maybe a car show now and then if I don't feel like changing the wheels. I do plan on keeping the Razors.

Nick

Just wanted to comment about the tire sizes. Since these wheels are the same size as the stock GT500 wheels from '07-'09, you can use those sizes as a reference. Those were 255/45-18 in front and 285/40-18 in the rear. This should actually be a good setup for both street and track, if you choose to use these for both, and it gives you a larger tire in the rear for some good traction at the track. Just a thought. Nice wheels by the way, they look really good around those Wilwoods.

Edited by bnoslo

The thing is that you can run 275/35-18's on all four corners which makes managing track tires a whole lot easier. I use to run the GT500 staggered setup but switched to 275/35-18's on all four corners and did not see a big difference in rear end handling on a road course. However I found that the wider front tire helps with handling on the heavy front end. Also there are a few options for track tires at the 275/35-18 size. To date I have not found a large selection of 275/40-18 track tires.

Just my two cents...

GT

Few thoughts...

Staggered tire fitment with make your car push on a road course

Make sure that the 275 35 18 tires have the load rating to handle a Mustang. They are less than 26 inches in diameter(S197 cars spec a 27 inch tire) and are typically designed for lighter cars. People who run 275 35s wear them out quick.

At the level you are tracking, NT 01s or R888s are a great choice...available in 275 40 18, tons of grip and acceptable tire wear - they are both a 5k mile rated tire.

Hay Bud, these wheels fit your big brake kit nicely. I really like them. Great choice. Your Razors fit the big brakes are they 18/9's. Possible availability?

Edited by Lynno

My suggestion to you Nick is to go with the 275/40-18 in a Nitto NT01 if you're going to use them for track - they will last you a while and will aid you in building up your driving skills along with not taking alot out of your budget. Once you get used to the grip and feel of a comp tire then you may to decide to go to another tire higher up on the scale. JMO

• 2 weeks later...

I got the wheels installed yesterday. I ended up going with 275 x 40 x 18 Nitto NT05 tires on all four corners. Considering my budget and my beginner status I decided to go with 05's over the 01's. As I improve and wear them down I'm sure the 01's will be my next set of tires. Here are a few pictures. Thanks for all of your input.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by nnadelizi

Great choice! I've been torn between the Apex and the enkei PF01 myself. The PF01 is marginally lighter over the Apex. I already run the Nitto NT05 in 275/40/18 on my current wheels, Alcoa's, which are WAY too heavy for the track. The NT05 is a decent tire, I heard its good on the track but not great. I will go to the NT01 when I'm ready to replace the NT05 And possibly a 285/35/18 for a slightly larger contact patch.

I would love to have 18x10.5 to 18x11 on all four corners with a 295/35/18. But then I'm looking at $400+ per wheel.

post-24566-0-86729000-1470795977_thumb.jpeg

Edited by EL SHELBY