TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Edelbrock E-Force/ FRPP CAI question

Ok, I've read the old threads, and I see that some of you are, or once were, using the original SGT CAI with the Edelbrock E-Force kit. Is this still a viable option? George at Brenspeed told me it won't work, but I see lots of evidence to the contrary. Is anyone still using it? I realize it would require a custom tune, but I intend to install Ford Racing shorties, a KB BAP, and the 3.5 in pulley at the same time anyway. Any input will be appreciated. tia...

You can use PART of the old CAI - the filter and airbox! You will need to replace the connecting hose/tube and change out the MAF sensor to the Edelbrock part! My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe the round intake connecting tube came with the E-ForceI, and all I had to do was trim it just a little and it fit like a glove.

Here's mine:

gallery_13043_1123_86027.jpg

Sam

Edited by 2007_Shelby_GT

I failed to mention that I did the Edelrock install myself and originally used a OEM airbox, cut per Edelbrock instructions, to get the car up and running with the included tune/tuner. Once that was done, I took the car to VMP, installed the original CAI, and had Justin give me a custom tune.

With the S/C and the CAI, you will most likely need to have a custom tune as well!

Here's the long story of my Edelbrock experience - frustrating at times, but fun!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57341-better-late-than-never/page__p__978832__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=978832

Sam

Edited by 2007_Shelby_GT

Sam,

Thanks! I read it, and I know it will need a tune. I'm just trying to get everything together to hopefully, have it right after 1 tune. Also thinking about some Ford Racing shorties, and a 3.5 in pulley, with a bap.

Oh, it already has the SC, I'm just looking to fine tune and finish. I love the power.

Did you use a Boost-a-Pump for fuel delivery? I went with the GT500 dual pump set up - which is what Jim is referring to about spare tires in the trunk! The fuel pump control modules are mounted in the spare tire well and if you put the spare tire or a lot of weight on top of the empty well, the floor of the trunk pushes down on those modules and can cause failure of one or both!

Sam

• 4 months later...

Similar to Sam's install

A friend and I did it at my shop

Purchased an Edlebrock eforce tuner kit with smaller pulley & larger injectors from JDM Engineering which included a custom tune they did virtually

Next up I took it to shop with a dyno to ensure all was safe and good to go

The shop had to install a BAP for needed fuel delivery as stock pump maxed out around 5000 rpms

Next was a Diablo Mafi as the stock MAF maxed out around 5500 rpms and couldn't handle the additional air flow under boost with the smaller pulley (something Sam didn't have to deal with as he is using the stock pulley which develops less psi)

Finally the dyno shop built a new custom tune from scratch to deal with the new components added

Zero issues several years and miles later

If I did it over, I would use the stock pulley like Sam's install which would eliminate the need for the Mafi and wouldn't cause distorted output from the IUP on fuel economy

Both Sam and I added a different clutch

Have fun

Larry