TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'16 GT350 Production

After watching eBay and various auction sites for GT350 pricing, I've noticed that the vast majority of the cars are non-track pack cars. I know that the non track pack cars are the most prevelent and I've gathered through various sources that the GT350R have just started being delivered so I assume all the R's are being built at the end of the 2016 Lot.

My question is, 'Were the '16 GT350 varients being built in order; GT350, GT350 Track Pack, and GT350R?'

There were a few deliveries before mine, but not too many that I know of through message forums. This makes sense, because a lot of people buying these cars do not participate in automotive forums, or if they do, they tend to frequent specfic sites.

Now that winter has passed, for the most part and in most places, I expect the volume of R models per cars going down the assembly line will increase. That means more deliveries. I'm still skeptical that they'll reach the 500 number that has been thrown around for 2016 MY. You're seeing many more tech package cars than track packages, because that is what the majority of buyers were looking for. Likewise, dealers who ordered cars opted for the more well-optioned choice to fill their showroom and drive traffic/sales.

I got this over at GT350 forum. These are the production Numbers as of 09 MAR 2016.

http://gt350.registryclubs.com/pdf/gt35020160309.pdf

I have also seen an article that limits the GT350 to 5000 units and the GT350R to 500.

I don't believe those are hard limits but rather the early production bogeys more stated as "GT500 like numbers for the base and Boss 302 LS for the R". That is approximately the number. Trust me, Ford knows how many they will SELL and they don't want to be caught with excess inventory at the end of the model year.

As I understand it from the local dealer, the allocation is for three GT350, the fourth is an R. You have to qualify for that many GT350 units to get the R. A few dealers who are only allocated one, two or three GT350 units, will not get an R model.

I don't believe those are hard limits but rather the early production bogeys more stated as "GT500 like numbers for the base and Boss 302 LS for the R". That is approximately the number. Trust me, Ford knows how many they will SELL and they don't want to be caught with excess inventory at the end of the model year.

Not sure how Ford would know how many they will sell . A lot of buyers are holding back because of the ADM

Some buyers are waiting to get a GT350R and are content to let the GT350 first issues sit in the showrooms. I believe that happened with the Boss 302 with many waiting to find a LS model with a lower ADM than the first ones released.

:read:

FYI, I read and understood that the 2017 GT350 may be offered in a restructured option packaging scheme; apparently, due to performance issues with the Tech package (limp mode as a result of inappropriate use /application of Tech package vehicles , IMO :hide: ). :peelout: The base GT will include most if not all of the “Track” features; they will become standard components. In addition, buyers can add a “convenience package” which offers the "tech" options. The restructuring may also affect the MSRP pricing scheme for the GT350 and perhaps the “R” model as well. All remains speculation :headscratch: …the article is based on internal docs that were (allegedly) ..uncovered?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-changes-2017-mustang-shelby-gt350s-standard-optional-equipment/

Edited by Voodoo Child

:read:

FYI, I read and understood that the 2017 GT350 may be offered in a restructured option packaging scheme; apparently, due to performance issues with the Tech package (limp mode as a result of inappropriate use /application of Tech package vehicles , IMO :hide: ). :peelout: The base GT will include most if not all of the “Track” features; they will become standard components. In addition, buyers can add a “convenience package” which offers the "tech" options. The restructuring may also affect the MSRP pricing scheme for the GT350 and perhaps the “R” model as well. All remains speculation :headscratch: …the article is based on internal docs that were (allegedly) ..uncovered?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-changes-2017-mustang-shelby-gt350s-standard-optional-equipment/

Hmmm interesting, we will have to wait & see.

Edited by shelby001

FYI, the following link is for a blog entry that shows Ford's 2017 GT350s standard features and option groups:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44874

Unfortunately, there are no references to pricing. :waiting: I suspect that Ford is using “smoke and mirrors” to maintain a relative profit margin(s) regardless of option choice/combination. :redcard: I anticipate that the 2017 basic/standard vehicle will approximate or even surpass the MSRP of the 2016 + Track option ($6,500). :future: It is not clear if everything contained in the current Track option will make-it to the 2017 standard list. :lurk:

I certainly like the added color options …even though, still remain partial to the “absence of color” color! :hysterical2:

My dealer said Ford will stop taking orders for the 2016 GT350 in April. I ordered a GT350 with Technology, and was told production takes 8 months. I'm now hearing the 2017 model will be more advanced in some technical regard, and allow both Track Pkg and Technology to be ordered together. I'm starting to have major remorse that I should cancel and wait for the '17's. My '16 will likely arrive just short of the '17 announcement/release. One plus to keeping my order, apparently there's a 8k MSRP bump on the 2017 model.

Thoughts?

:reading:

IMO, it depends on your intended use for the car. If you just want to cruise and look good having the comforts/convenience gadgets i.e. heated seats, navigation, etc… the “tech’ option will be fine :play: ; however, as you may have read in some of the other forums …racing is not an appropriate application for the “tech” car. It lacks the components to sustain adequate performance on a track (hence track package). As you already noted, changes on the 2017 …involves the deletion of “tech package” as a mutually exclusive option. Instead, you get a basic model, which already includes most, if not all of the 2016 “track package” components. However, the relative cost :spend: is added to the base MSRP. Beyond that, some components of the 2016 tech option package are available as individual options. I suggest that you calculate the total cost for both versions/year models …perhaps adjusting (guessing) :future: the corresponding ADMs if any so you can make a decision based on numbers and your intended use. IMO the track components are necessary for the long-term health of the car. Apparently, Ford already realized that. Hope this helps. Good Luck! :speedie:

:hide:

Edited by Voodoo Child

Thanks for your responses. I plan to track it, but also want creature comforts for the drive to the track. I suppose its best to cancel the order and get a '17 so I can get the track components.

Do you have a down payment & if so will you loss it .or will the dealer apply it to the `17 if you go that way?

Do you have a down payment & if so will you loss it .or will the dealer apply it to the `17 if you go that way?

They're going to put it on a 2017. I buy a lot of vehicles from them... Raptor, F350 and F450 King Ranch's every 2-3 years... so they're taking care of me.

Thanks for your responses. I plan to track it, but also want creature comforts for the drive to the track. I suppose its best to cancel the order and get a '17 so I can get the track components.

:shoppingcart_:

I suggest you wait a little longer on the cancellation ...see what other comments may post. There is a lot of experience and wisdom within the membership ...also; I hope you considered the cost of bailing-out on your current order (if any). and that ADM remains an unknown variable for 2017. IMO, perhaps the most significant component for use at a track, is the cooler(s); I believe the tech package already adds the MagneRide suspension. Therefore, I anticipate aftermarket availability and cost of some functional components may offer a good compromise …that is, if you were to do an aftermarket upgrade on the 2016 Tech.

:hat_tip: