TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why do I like the sgt so much ?

SGT2039

To answer to OP's question, my obsession dates back to this model kit.....

1968_GT500_zpsfkx4hvm9.jpg

I was around 10 or 11 years old when I received this kit (I believe I still might have the built model somewhere in our attic unless my wife chucked it), this was my first exposure to a Shelby Mustang.... Of course this got me hooked on Shelby.

I could never afford a Shelby as a young adult, so fast forward to August 2006 when our local MCA club's VP brought a SGT-H from the Raleigh-Durham Hertz rental fleet to our monthly meeting and turned the keys over to the membership. From that day forward all I could do was think about fulfilling a childhood dream...... Rumors started showing up on the net about a retail version and the waiting began.....

Finally '07 cars started showing up in 'stealerships' with $5k-$10k+ ADMs, again putting my dream out of reach.... Months later I joined the original Shelby forums where I was informed of a mistake in the Ford ordering system which allowed me to purchase an '08 MY not only with NO ADM but included a $1500 rebate and Z-Plan pricing (the GM at the dealership even removed the built-in profit in the Shelby up-fitters price if I took one of the four cars they already had in route to Vegas). I can't thank Michael Morris and AFBLUE enough for leading me to this information.

I purchased my car outright mid October '07, then the real waiting began! I bugged the crap out of John Walker weekly, he finally relented and got my car pushed through conversion process Thanksgiving week. My dream was finally realized on December 10th, 2007 when my car arrived at the dealer....

MITRESS_Delivery_zps9f00d8b4.jpg

Like others, I love the fact my SGT basically went through the same pre-title conversion process as the original GT350 Mustangs of the '60s.

To answer to OP's question, my obsession dates back to this model kit.....1968_GT500_zpsfkx4hvm9.jpg

I was around 10 or 11 years old when I received this kit (I believe I still might have the built model somewhere in our attic unless my wife chucked it), this was my first exposure to a Shelby Mustang.... Of course this got me hooked on Shelby.

I could never afford a Shelby as a young adult, so fast forward to August 2006 when our local MCA club's VP brought a SGT-H from the Raleigh-Durham Hertz rental fleet to our monthly meeting and turned the keys over to the membership. From that day forward all I could do was think about fulfilling a childhood dream...... Rumors started showing up on the net about a retail version and the waiting began.....

Finally '07 cars started showing up in 'stealerships' with $5k-$10k+ ADMs, again putting my dream out of reach.... Months later I joined the original Shelby forums where I was informed of a mistake in the Ford ordering system which allowed me to purchase an '08 MY not only with NO ADM but included a $1500 rebate and Z-Plan pricing (the GM at the dealership even removed the built-in profit in the Shelby up-fitters price if I took one of the four cars they already had in route to Vegas). I can't thank Michael Morris and AFBLUE enough for leading me to this information.

I purchased my car outright mid October '07, then the real waiting began! I bugged the crap out of John Walker weekly, he finally relented and got my car pushed through conversion process Thanksgiving week. My dream was finally realized on December 10th, 2007 when my car arrived at the dealer....

MITRESS_Delivery_zps9f00d8b4.jpg

Like others, I love the fact my SGT basically went through the same pre-title conversion process as the original GT350 Mustangs of the '60s.

Nice !

They have something special and we all "get it" which is interesting. I am always surprised how few people aware that these are Shelby's not made by ford.

oh lord... here we go. so misleading to say that. the car is in fact, made by ford and modded with ford racing parts by shelby american.

There is no "here we go again" that's a fact. The point is not to denigrate the licensed Shelby cars, I own one of those also. The point is so few people understand what the SGT is rather then what the licensed cars are not.

I had a 66 gt350 that was made at lax by Shelby American and I currently have a 69 gt500 that was made by A.O. Smith. The 2007 sgt is made by Shelby again those are facts.

There is no "here we go again" that's a fact. The point is not to denigrate the licensed Shelby cars, I own one of those also. The point is so few people understand what the SGT is rather then what the licensed cars are not.

I had a 66 gt350 that was made at lax by Shelby American and I currently have a 69 gt500 that was made by A.O. Smith. The 2007 sgt is made by Shelby again those are facts.

i know all of this. however, it does not change the fact that Shelby American does not make Shelby Mustangs. they modify Ford Mustangs. always have, always will. Shelby American doesn't have the capacity, capability or business model necessary to engineer and build cars the way Ford does. i agree it's special that they were sent to SAI for modification and assigned a unique CSM, but it's unfortunate that the CSM does not carry the same weight as a proper VIN. it's also unfortunate (and inaccurate) to claim that SAI modded cars are somehow superior to Ford factory cars (pre-title or post-title). they aren't recognized as such by most industry standards and for that reason, it boils down to perceived value by the owner and fans of the Shelby brand. in fact, i'd argue that the Shelby licensed cars (GT500, GT350) that Ford builds are in fact better cars, adding real value to the Shelby brand through proprietary engineering (5.8L, flat plane crank, etc), as opposed to modifying Ford factory cars with Ford Racing/Ford Performance or Shelby-branded, aftermarket parts that anyone can buy.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

i know all of this. however, it does not change the fact that Shelby American does not make Shelby Mustangs. they modify Ford Mustangs. always have, always will. Shelby American doesn't have the capacity, capability or business model necessary to engineer and build cars the way Ford does. i agree it's special that they were sent to SAI for modification and assigned a unique CSM, but it's unfortunate that the CSM does not carry the same weight as a proper VIN. it's also unfortunate (and inaccurate) to claim that SAI modded cars are somehow superior to Ford factory cars (pre-title or post-title). they aren't recognized as such by most industry standards and for that reason, it boils down to perceived value by the owner and fans of the Shelby brand. in fact, i'd argue that the Shelby licensed cars (GT500, GT350) that Ford builds are in fact better cars, adding real value to the Shelby brand through proprietary engineering (5.8L, flat plane crank, etc), as opposed to modifying Ford factory cars with Ford Racing/Ford Performance or Shelby-branded, aftermarket parts that anyone can buy.

Wow, thanks for coming into another thread to inject your opinion and turn everything negative. We really appreciate it.

People tend to buy what they believe in, then believe in what they bought.

Jer

its too bad you choose to see it that way. i'm interested in FACTS, not fairy tales. anytime, i see this same nonsense being perpetrated i'm going to speak up, for the sake of truth and accuracy. its really not my problem if you or anybody else doesnt like it. this one issue and the people who continue to see themselves as superior based on a falsehood and myth around the difference between Ford and Shelby is enough to turn off even the most dedicated fans, myself included.

its too bad you choose to see it that way. i'm interested in FACTS, not fairy tales. anytime, i see this same nonsense being perpetrated i'm going to speak up, for the sake of truth and accuracy. its really not my problem if you or anybody else doesnt like it. this one issue and the people who continue to see themselves as superior based on a falsehood and myth around the difference between Ford and Shelby is enough to turn off even the most dedicated fans, myself included.

Please point to the post above where anybody here said there car was superior to any other. I only read where guys feel that their car is special and tell their stories of why they got their SGT and how special it is to them and how passionate they are about them. The only person who said anything about one being "better" than the other above is you. "i'd argue that the Shelby licensed cars (GT500, GT350) that Ford builds are in fact better cars", your statement.

Maybe the link below is the place that your opinion should be posted.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/87264-how-much-do-you-love-your-07-09-gt500/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1650892

So far I haven't seen anyone on the linked discussion talking about what makes their car superior to anything else, just what they love about their GT500

I believe that the OP on this discussion asked the question, "why do I like the SGT so much?"

Since Carroll Shelby is why these cars exist in the first place, maybe you'd be better served appreciating that he designed (built, modded, influenced...whatever your take on that is) cars that we can all love for our own personal reasons.

Off the shelf Ford parts put on by a hot rodder is how the original GT350 came about. There wasn't alot of engineering by Ford on those, other than a certain spec Carroll wanted, so would you at least concede that the history being repeated in the SGT is reason enough to make it "special" to it's owners?

SGT2039, put it to rest already. you clearly dont understand what im saying and i'm growing bored trying to explain it to you. a bunch of wrongs dont make it right.

without Ford, Shelby wouldnt have an opportunity to race LeMans those years against Ferrari in the first place. without Ford, there would be no mustang variant to put his name on. the 64 1/2 cars were a runaway success without Shelby. without a successful 2005 Mustang there would be no late model Shelby Mustangs to bicker over. without SVT there would be nothing unique about a Shelby mustang in the marketplace today, meaning anybody with the desire could create the same product and call it whatever they want. Shelby American is a brand, not a product and their business is modding Mustangs, not building them. so what exactly is your point? the SGT is a great collaboration between Ford and the Shelby brand, as are the other Shelby Mustang models, but the incorrect nonsense about how special the SGT is because its pre-title sent to Shelby American, blah blah blah ad nauseum is pure fantasy. its a nice story but a few folks on here take it way too serious and when it obscures the truth i feel compelled to say something. like it or not, thats my right.

Here, I'll put this argument to bed. My SGT is the best Shelby, because it's MINE! Mine from day one, no prior owners, and no plans to let anyone else own it.

Eight years later I still daydream about driving my SGT.

this is more like it. if it means something because its yours (like mine does to me) theres no harm in that. just dont try to convince others based on inaccurate information or bully your opinion over the facts.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

It was Ford that sent the 07/08 mustang gt's to Shelby to be modified then took them back and sold them through their network as Shelby GT's. It was Ford that thought they would be "special" and would improve their brand.They didn't do it to help Shelby they did it to make the Mustang more desirable and in turn make them more money.

SGT2039, put it to rest already. you clearly dont understand what im saying and i'm growing bored trying to explain it to you. a bunch of wrongs dont make it right.

without Ford, Shelby wouldnt have an opportunity to race LeMans those years against Ferrari in the first place. without Ford, there would be no mustang variant to put his name on. the 64 1/2 cars were a runaway success without Shelby. without a successful 2005 Mustang there would be no late model Shelby Mustangs to bicker over. without SVT there would be nothing unique about a Shelby mustang in the marketplace today, meaning anybody with the desire could create the same product and call it whatever they want. Shelby American is a brand, not a product and their business is modding Mustangs, not building them. so what exactly is your point? the SGT is a great collaboration between Ford and the Shelby brand, as are the other Shelby Mustang models, but the incorrect nonsense about how special the SGT is because its pre-title sent to Shelby American, blah blah blah ad nauseum is pure fantasy. its a nice story but a few folks on here take it way too serious and when it obscures the truth i feel compelled to say something. like it or not, thats my right.

Wow, you truly have no idea what you are talking about. Ford came to Shelby because the GT40 project was failing not the other way around and it was Ford that came to Shelby regarding the mustang to achieve the "total performance" image Henry II was going for.

You really need to do some reading :)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

Wow, you truly have no idea what you are talking about. Ford came to Shelby because the GT40 project was failing not the other way around and it was Ford that came to Shelby regarding the mustang to achieve the "total performance" image Henry II was going for.

You really need to do some reading :)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

+1