TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why do I like the sgt so much ?

SGT2039

A question for the group, I don't know why I like the 07 sgt so much? I prefer it to the 500 in appearance and the car has a very authentic Shelby feel to it that I just can't explain.

I have a 69 gt500 , 70 boss 302 mustang , 70 z28, 70 chevelle SS 396, 66 427 vette (390 horse with ac) and have owned about 100 muscle cars over the years and this car fits right in. It's like driving a "new old car" if that makes sense.

I don't know why I waited so long to buy one.

So back to the question , what is the allure ? It's not the fastest by a long shot, not the best handling or stopping, so what the draw?

Authenticity.

It clearly follows the legendary GT350 bloodline, and was built at Carroll's place by Shelby employees. The original formula, just decades later!

Jer

yep, i would agree. it's the best looking of the bunch, in my opinion. i'm really fond of the white coupes with the GT/SC package and razor wheels. for me personally, the 40th anniversary package on the GT500 is a very close second. the extra bit of engineering in the SVT cars coupled with the upgrade potential ultimately won me over though.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

A question for the group, I don't know why I like the 07 sgt so much? I prefer it to the 500 in appearance and the car has a very authentic Shelby feel to it that I just can't explain.

I have a 69 gt500 , 70 boss 302 mustang , 70 z28, 70 chevelle SS 396, 66 427 vette (390 horse with ac) and have owned about 100 muscle cars over the years and this car fits right in. It's like driving a "new old car" if that makes sense.

I don't know why I waited so long to buy one.

So back to the question , what is the allure ? It's not the fastest by a long shot, not the best handling or stopping, so what the draw?

HOLY COW!!!

I cannot believe I just read this. I could have written it almost to a 'T'!!

I've owned 114 cars / trucks. This car just "feels good". Almost eerily.

You and I bought our SGT's within a couple weeks of one another. And I like you, can't believe I waited this long!

Great thread. :thumbsup:

It has a soul! Simple as that! Something special happened in Vegas with these cars! :shift:

Indeed, Jeff!

Indeed.

It's just a matter of time IMHO, that these cars will begin to run away in value. I have an '08 500, and I don't feel the same about "that" with this car. :cool:

Not trying to start another war on values between both cars, but I have both now, and feel I can offer my opinion now. :thumbsup:

yep, i would agree. it's the best looking of the bunch, in my opinion. i'm really fond of the white coupes with the GT/SC package and razor wheels. for me personally, the 40th anniversary package on the GT500 is a very close second. the extra bit of engineering in the SVT cars coupled with the upgrade potential ultimately won me over though.

That's my favorite too!!! LOL

Jer

JMO - (and I own both a GT500 and a SGT) The SGT is more suited for a driver to drive while the GT500 is a sledge hammer and can go fast. After taking both cars out onto road course tracks and drag strips I can say that the SGT is way more fun on the road course than the drag strip and the GT500 is right at home doing straight line runs. It's like comparing Moby Dick with a great white shark - both have their place in the sea.

BTW - white is the fastest color that's why they named it Performance White and put HP as the color code. :thumbsup:

For me. the allure of the Shelby GT was the chance to own another Shelby - one that was created and produced by the man and his machinery. While I warmed somewhat to the GT500, there was no doubt after my previous ownership of two fine vintage G.T. 350s that the Shelby GT was exactly what I was looking for at the time. I have never looked back, have no regrets, and as anyone with the uber rare 2008 SGT GT/SC knows, it is second to none. Great looks, great color, great handling and a performance package that makes one wonder whey it took so long for Shelby to get this package on the road. What great cars they are indeed!!!

Edited by springer

The Ford dealership owner where I purchased my 07 says it has the best look of them all. He has since retired and sold the business. He joined our Mustang club and still says he likes the Shelby SGT the best.

That's my favorite too!!! LOL

Jer

Sorry but I'm kinda leaning toward the Black GT/SC with chrome Razors..... :hide:

i think it was a mistake not to have called it a GT350 to begin with. it's nearly impossible not to see the resemblance...

I agree, but most people call it a gt350 anyway, I love that photograph!

How do ya think I got my login..... when I bought mine the salesman introduced it as a GT-350.... the rest is history.

i think it was a mistake not to have called it a GT350 to begin with. it's nearly impossible not to see the resemblance...

112_0704_15z-2007_ford_shelby_GT-right_o

112_0704_14z+2007_ford_shelby_GT+right_f

Two years ago when I met Chuck Cantwell (designer of the original GT350) he looked all over my car and he commented on how much he liked the fact that they kept many of the features from the original car.

post-25056-0-73688200-1455901365_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doug_GT350

112_0704_15z-2007_ford_shelby_GT-right_o

112_0704_14z+2007_ford_shelby_GT+right_f

Absolutely.

But it wasn't a mistake, it was actually the original plan to call it the GT350, since that is CLEARLY what the car is!

Licensing rights issues prevented it until 2011.

Jer

I agree with what Jer said. When you look at the SGT or GT for that matter, it has the same basic changes that was done on the origional GT350's. No wings, spoilers or added body panels. Just a simple hood change with a scoop, grill with horse and tribar, lower side stripe with moniker (GT350 vs. GT/SGT) and some engine tuning. I have said this before, those GT/SGT"s and others you like so miuch are the closes to ever compare visually to what the origional GT350's looked. Still looked like a MUstang, but was more!

yeah, but it's not a GT350. i modded a standard 4.6L GT with Ford Racing parts for a fraction of the cost and came away with a faster car. i really liked how the GT500 had a clean 500hp (versus the 475 projected during development). i wish they had given the 4.6L 3V a clean 350hp to make it just that much more potent an offering and further cement it's reputation. that was the only real drawback for me--not enough power or upgrade potential. some subarus and even older firebirds were quicker (as mentioned in a Shelby GT-H article). that said, it's still a cool car, the performance is "balanced" and overall it's a pretty good bargain nowadays.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

Absolutely.

But it wasn't a mistake, it was actually the original plan to call it the GT350, since that is CLEARLY what the car is!

Licensing rights issues prevented it until 2011.

Jer

Yep, just look at the pictures. This is the reason why you and others like it so much!

Ok, I love this thread for obvious reasons!

Every so often a car comes along that's just "right". The Shelby GT is one of those cars.

I'm glad to see also what appears to be not only continued but also increased interest in Shelby GT's.

Well the origional GT350's were K code GT Mustangs that were only messaged from 271hp to 306hp by using headers, a little bigger carb and aluminum manifold. Even the comp cars or R models were tinkered to give it a 350hp for racing. The mods for compitition R's were mainly focused on suspension/handling and braking rather than power. So the 4.6 may have been underpowered vs. others, but the main concept/formula of that car was to pay homage to the origional street GT350's. In 07, at the time, the Shelby GT/SGT's "is what it was".

Edited by Denstang65