TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why do I like the sgt so much ?

SGT2039

Gt350 and gt500 never corresponded with horse power, they were nothing more then slick names for a product. The 66 gt350 was rated at 306 hp.

yeah, i know that, which is why i like the fact the GT500 horsepower output actually matched the name with the reintroduction of the car. they should have done that with the Shelby GT. things are different now. Low end Infinitis, BMWs and a slew of modern day cars within the last 10 years hover around 300hp (often with 6-cylinders).

yeah, i know that, which is why i like the fact the GT500 horsepower output actually matched the name with the reintroduction of the car. they should have done that with the Shelby GT. things are different now. Low end Infinitis, BMWs and a slew of modern day cars within the last 10 years hover around 300hp (often with 6-cylinders).

No dispute with what you are saying, making the shelby gt closer to the hp of the 500 would have hurt ford sales on the 500 and neither shelby or ford wanted that.

The "secret sauce" is the Shelby GT/SC.

Best of all possible worlds... LOL

Jer

Great thread. Mustangs have been in the family blood a long time. I can remember in 1970 my mom driving a 1966 K-code coupe with an automatic. I was hooked at the age of 5 and addiction owning 50+ of the best Mustangs ever made. Had a 2009 GT 500 convertible and 2011 GT 500 SVT PP coupe....they are gone...just didn't like them as much as my 07 Shelby GT or my 08 GT/SC convertible....great cars...almost as good as my Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang but that is a another thread unto itself.

Great thread. Mustangs have been in the family blood a long time. I can remember in 1970 my mom driving a 1966 K-code coupe with an automatic. I was hooked at the age of 5 and addiction owning 50+ of the best Mustangs ever made. Had a 2009 GT 500 convertible and 2011 GT 500 SVT PP coupe....they are gone...just didn't like them as much as my 07 Shelby GT or my 08 GT/SC convertible....great cars...almost as good as my Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang but that is a another thread unto itself.

The Saleen Parnelli Jones mustang is fabulous car.

True about the 6 cyls., but they don't have the torque. New Camaro 6 is 335 hp and weighs about the same as the '07 Shelby GT, but its not as quick - and the 6's sure as hell don't sound as good!

Edited by ilmor

True about the 6 cyls., but they don't have the torque. New Camaro 6 is 335 hp and weighs about the same as the '07 Shelby GT, but its not as quick - and the 6's sure as hell don't sound as good!

Very true, my daily driver was a 14 rs camaro (I replaced it with the shelby gt) , they rate them at 335 but the lack of torque makes them far less responsive.

This "Car" is something different for everyone that gets behind the wheel. I'm 67 years old for me it reminds me of my youth. In 1964 I was 16 and was fascinated by the new mustang but when the 1967 Shelby Gt 350 rolled out I was hooked. Unfortunately out of the price range of a 19 year old Private in the Army. Fast forward to 2016 and getting behind the wheel of my 07SGT0456 and running through the gears by the time I'm cruising in 5th I'm 19 my wife of 48 years is beside me radio blasting the new song Mustang Sally. Life is good!!

This "Car" is something different for everyone that gets behind the wheel. I'm 67 years old for me it reminds me of my youth. In 1964 I was 16 and was fascinated by the new mustang but when the 1967 Shelby Gt 350 rolled out I was hooked. Unfortunately out of the price range of a 19 year old Private in the Army. Fast forward to 2016 and getting behind the wheel of my 07SGT0456 and running through the gears by the time I'm cruising in 5th I'm 19 my wife of 48 years is beside me radio blasting the new song Mustang Sally. Life is good!!

Great post. I agree the Shelby GT is something different for everyone. For me, the car just totally feels right ---- plus the 2007-2008's are pre-title vehicles. That aspect means something to me...

Edited by stewarbc

I had '69 fastback when I was 19. It wasn't perfect but I loved that car over anything else.

Decided to revisit the retro mustangs a couple years ago, after using utility vehicles for many years of extensive travel. By several quick strokes of luck; I walked into a dealership in Toronto that had a black 07 on consignment. Honestly, I wasn't familiar with the Shelby GT but knew of the 500's. Told the salesman that I needed to make a call for the negotiation and called Shelby instead to verify the VIN and CSM#. 25,000 miles, manual, black with gray int, stripe delete (none, not even the sides), and in great shape. Price finalized at 26,000 CDN including tax (about 21,000 US at the time). Walked to the main desk with the salesman to put a deposit down and another gentleman walks in the door declaring he wants to buy the black Shelby outside and he flashes a coupe bundles of cash. The salesman apologizes that I just purchased the car and boy oh boy does this guy give me the dirtiest look! I was meant to get this car :victory:

When I got home I started looking up whatever I could find, and that's where my journey began. :dance: I don't have the experience most of you have, nor have I owned a bunch of high performance cars, nevertheless - this car is a part of history, and knowing what I know now - I'm a very, very proud owner of this pedigree.

Edited by BlackSGT

I had '69 fastback when I was 19. It wasn't perfect but I loved that car over anything else.

Decided to revisit the retro mustangs a couple years ago, after using utility vehicles for many years of extensive travel. By several quick strokes of luck; I walked into a dealership in Toronto that had a black 07 on consignment. Honestly, I wasn't familiar with the Shelby GT but knew of the 500's. Told the salesman that I needed to make a call for the negotiation and called Shelby instead to verify the VIN and CSM#. 25,000 miles, manual, black with gray int, stripe delete (none, not even the sides), and in great shape. Price finalized at 26,000 CDN including tax (about 21,000 US at the time). Walked to the main desk with the salesman to put a deposit down and another gentleman walks in the door declaring he wants to buy the black Shelby outside and he flashes a coupe bundles of cash. The salesman apologizes that I just purchased the car and boy oh boy does this guy give me the dirtiest look! I was meant to get this car :victory:

When I got home I started looking up whatever I could find, and that's where my journey began. :dance: I don't have the experience most of you have, nor have I owned a bunch of high performance cars, nevertheless - this car is a part of history, and knowing what I know now - I'm a very, very proud owner of this pedigree.

A good looking car. Looking at your pic helps me to evaluate on a staggered set of wheels or not.

I've since added the side stripes but decided I liked the top deleted. It also had a black upper billet grill and a GT scoop (assuming a warped gen1). I've since brought it back to "original" (black painted gen4 scoop), polished grill, made some personalized changes, but also corrected some of the stance issues that I learned about here on this forum. BTW, the PIAA lights in the "GT" area behind the grill are correct, just couldn't find the lower duct bezels that I wanted to install them in.

My top five reasons

# 5 The 4.6 ala 289 engine. Shelby loved running against the big boys with that little ole 289. This car is no different.

# 4 The spoiler delete and the billet grill. Put it next to a 66 GT 350 and you can see why Carroll did what he did.

# 3 The Vince LaViolette designed hood scoop. I personally love the look it gives the car.

# 2 The Powered by Ford badge. This badge only made it on a few very special cars. It is a honor.

#1 "The Man" made an affordable S H E L B Y for the working class. I was able to buy one. "Oh yea. did I tell you I have a Shelby"