TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changes for 2017 GT350 and R

Those who rushed to buy 2016 models and paid big adm's may not be too happy when the 2017 model changes are official. 2016 GT350 prices just took a dive. Made the call today, cancelled my GT350R allocation. Now I just have to decide between Lightning Blue (liquid blue), and Ruby Red ! Or, maybe I'll just wait or the 2018 GT500 !

Edited by cmcmotorworks

Hate to see the Deep Impact Blue go away. What about A/C on the R? Is this still an option?

Yes, it is. However, there seems to be a question if it will keep navigation as part of the package. I'm guessing it will.i don't see Ford taking features away in a subsequent year. What this does is add aLOT of value to the 350 build.

But here is the thing. GM is sating their new Camaro 1LE competes and edges out the 350, and possibly the R. If that is true, then what we have here is a quandary because it surely means Ford will have to improve the 350 for 2018, if it hasn't quietly done so already for 17.

Yes, it is. However, there seems to be a question if it will keep navigation as part of the package. I'm guessing it will.i don't see Ford taking features away in a subsequent year. What this does is add aLOT of value to the 350 build.

But here is the thing. GM is sating their new Camaro 1LE competes and edges out the 350, and possibly the R. If that is true, then what we have here is a quandary because it surely means Ford will have to improve the 350 for 2018, if it hasn't quietly done so already for 17.

Clearly Ford has left a lot of meat on the bone for increased power with the 5.2 but I'm in the camp that more power doesn't always make a better drivers car. Even if the 1LE is quicker/faster it is due to its lower weight. The Z28 has ~50hp and an 'S' ton of torque (low in the rpm range) over the GT350R and it cannot keep pace.

As has always been the case between Ford and Chevy it will come down to who ever offers the better over all car, and Ford has won that competition since 1967. Chevy only won the sales numbers in recent years because of its vacancy from the market for so long. There was a Chevy fanboy hole to fill.

I am very curious how the 5.2 would responde to a pair of small turbos. Keep the boost moderate and have it come in early to fill the torque and power band below 6k rpm.

Edited by EL SHELBY

Those who rushed to buy 2016 models and paid big adm's may not be too happy when the 2017 model changes are official. 2016 GT350 prices just took a dive. Made the call today, cancelled my GT350R allocation. Now I just have to decide between Lightning Blue (liquid blue), and Ruby Red ! Or, maybe I'll just wait or the 2018 GT500 !

As always..... Reminds me of the rush to buy the 2007 GT500 with ADM vs. waiting to late 2008 when I picked my 2009 up for $42,000 out the door. I'll be waiting happily for a good deal on the GT350 in the not too distant future.

As always..... Reminds me of the rush to buy the 2007 GT500 with ADM vs. waiting to late 2008 when I picked my 2009 up for $42,000 out the door. I'll be waiting happily for a good deal on the GT350 in the not too distant future.

I remember at the 85th Birthday Bash in early 2008, I took an informal poll of GT500 owners in attendance and the average ADM paid was well north of $10K, some as high as $30k.

Interesting observations here. One point I agree with is the basic design of the 5.2. Since it doesn't have very good performance in the low end, it will be hard to make changes to offset this. I'm not sure what Ford can do to adjust that. They have basically painted themselves into a corner. It's a great build, nonetheless, so maybe it doesn't need to be messed with looking at the current model comparison to its own history. But looking at the other competition, that might be a mistake.

Interesting observations here. One point I agree with is the basic design of the 5.2. Since it doesn't have very good performance in the low end, it will be hard to make changes to offset this. I'm not sure what Ford can do to adjust that. They have basically painted themselves into a corner. It's a great build, nonetheless, so maybe it doesn't need to be messed with looking at the current model comparison to its own history. But looking at the other competition, that might be a mistake.

Nothing can be done to the engine to change the low end torque. It's an attribute of the FPC engine design. But it'll run at 8000+RPM all day long which is what a track car is all about.

How do you figure that nothing can be done?

Didn't you understand the explanation that the FPC design favors high RPM operation over low end torque? They are designed for that - low end torque helps you get moving. Track cars stay moving. Also, the effect is greater as displacement increases. Go read the literature.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Didn't you understand the explanation that the FPC design favors high RPM operation over low end torque? They are designed for that - low end torque helps you get moving. Track cars stay moving. Also, the effect is greater as displacement increases. Go read the literature.

Tony? What's with the attitude? I was simply asking a question with no pretense as I thought you might know something the rest of us do not.

Ford's packaged intent for the GT350 and 5.2 and what the 5.2 is capable of are not irrevocably linked.

Track cars do continually move, but not at constant speed. Torque is what is needed out of the corners and the GT350 has plenty, but what is wrong with being curious about how to develop more?

Keep it at 4000 rpm and up and you won't have any issues. You have 4250 more to go and plenty of power on tap in that range.

I remember at the 85th Birthday Bash in early 2008, I took an informal poll of GT500 owners in attendance and the average ADM paid was well north of $10K, some as high as $30k.

The greasy rotten car dealers sodomized thousands of solid Mustang enthusiasts with lies on that one. 2 year 5,000 unit total run indeed. Try 8 years and nearly 50,000 units. NEVER, EVER, believe the crap that a car salesman feeds you. These shameless, unethical, creeps are about separating you from as much of your cash as possible by any means possible. Total scumball industry.

http://www.roymorgan.com.au/findings/5531-image-of-professions-2014-201404110537 LOL, looks who is at the bottom of the list and has been in that deplorable position every single year for the last 30 years!

Edited by jaspar1

The greasy rotten car dealers sodomized thousands of solid Mustang enthusiasts with lies on that one. 2 year 5,000 unit total run indeed. Try 8 years and nearly 50,000 units. NEVER, EVER, believe the crap that a car salesman feeds you. These shameless, unethical, creeps are about separating you from as much of your cash as possible by any means possible. Total scumball industry.

http://www.roymorgan.com.au/findings/5531-image-of-professions-2014-201404110537 LOL, looks who is at the bottom of the list and has been in that deplorable position every single year for the last 30 years!

It's difficult to find 100% fault with the dealers and their representatives. Ford NEVER said it was limited. Ford said they would make as many as they could sell (but not more) for as long as there was a market (just like the GT350). Those who thought it was limited were merely replaying the press info that sites like horsepowerkings were promulgating. If you blame them it's for believing the internet which we all know has no errors. :)

It's difficult to find 100% fault with the dealers and their representatives. Ford NEVER said it was limited. Ford said they would make as many as they could sell (but not more) for as long as there was a market (just like the GT350). Those who thought it was limited were merely replaying the press info that sites like horsepowerkings were promulgating. If you blame them it's for believing the internet which we all know has no errors. :)

Yeah you're right, I must have had a brain fart. Car salesman are the best! http://www.roymorgan.com.au/findings/5531-image-of-professions-2014-201404110537

im not a fan of the front of the gt , but the gt350 does have a much better look to me,and and r is great looking also , in the report that randy post tested the z28 against the gt 350 and the gt 350r , the gt 350 fell a little short against the z28 ,not a suprise to me since the z28 is more of a track car, the the z28 fell a little short from the gt 350 r which me happy since i am a ford guy ,i have read up on the z28 and its is a great car also but like i said i am a ford guy,what iam try to get at is i have gt 500 with a lot of upgrades and always want to road race with it not in competition,just track days,but i baby this car like a lot of us do,not because i think its going to worth tons of money later in life,its just how keep my car ,i would say at least 75% of do , then there are some of us the really enjoy these cars like they made to do, then there a few that just us them because the shelby name means nothing to them,and that fine , because i will be sorry in my later years when my 3 sons are beating the crap out it as i am watching from my rocking chair, what i am trying to decide is to trade or sell my 500 for the gt 350 or the r , if i trade it i know i am going to take a beaten from a dealer ,i have about $17000 in cosmeticsand some power add on the question is how much is my car worth if i sell it privatly i will get more than a dealer for a trade in, but why should we take a beaten from anyome i would say i would take at least 54000 since with the cost of the car back in 2010 52000 plus the taxes ,hen all then add on why should we loose all that money , then on top of that pay the extra cost these are adding to the new ones if ford did something like putting a cap on how much the add on to these cars they would sell much more of them and i would not feel so bad about taking a little lose on mine and paying alittle extra but they are already ao ebay for 68000, and one nut dealer had one for 149000 thats just nuts still i would problay like even regular gt350 as a track day car just my thougts

Tony? What's with the attitude? I was simply asking a question with no pretense as I thought you might know something the rest of us do not.

Ford's packaged intent for the GT350 and 5.2 and what the 5.2 is capable of are not irrevocably linked.

Track cars do continually move, but not at constant speed. Torque is what is needed out of the corners and the GT350 has plenty, but what is wrong with being curious about how to develop more?

I dont there was any attitude intended. We are all friends here, and I see no reason he would- I think it was just in the way the response was penned. Its hard to perceive it in any negative way if you arent intending it that way, and its quite common issue on forums. Just like some people typing in caps, they dont necessarily mean to be doing it.

Ok, the issue is not the 5.2, but in the Flat Plane Crank. If you remove the FPC element of the engine build, you can get your low end back, but you wont keep that high rev attribute. ITs very possible Ford does offer a 5.2 without it in another form. The Supercharger would correct that in many ways, but Ive done some more checking into the practicality of that, and because it uses aluminum pistons, all the answers Im getting back is that it will not support a blower for very long.