TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 Shelby Bash

rsgt500

I don't want to stay there, I will stay elsewhere, probably the Orleans.

One of the best parts of the Bash is TS members staying and hanging out together,to separate seems kinda dumb to me!!!!

In 2014 we stayed at the South Point for the duration of the Bash,our first time ther and really enjoyed all that it had to offer (we have previously stayed at The Bellagio,MGM (yuk!) and the Venetian during previous Vegas visits.

For the remainder of the Bash/Mustang 50th we had booked into the The Plazzo but once there really wished we hadn't pre-booked there and missed the relative calm,our new found friends and room costs less than half the price of the craziness of the Plazzo/Venetian

I would seriously reconsider your choice for hotel as the host hotel has so many benefits!!!!!

Edited by supersnake junkie

Is there going to be any group rate at South Pointe?

I'm sure there will be,so I would assume rthat will be announced soon.

However,usually SouthPoints room rates are excellent and super hard to beat for value,the Buffet is really well priced as well (Bellagio for example is around $25 for Breakfast Buffet) and the last time we stayed it was about $8.95.

We also found the hotel rooms a good size and the hotel overall excellent,plus as most people know who have been before the Parkade is super easy to get in and out of as well.

I'm sure there will be,so I would assume rthat will be announced soon.

However,usually SouthPoints room rates are excellent and super hard to beat for value,the Buffet is really well priced as well (Bellagio for example is around $25 for Breakfast Buffet) and the last time we stayed it was about $8.95.

We also found the hotel rooms a good size and the hotel overall excellent,plus as most people know who have been before the Parkade is super easy to get in and out of as well.

Thank you sir for the info.

I didn't know there were any events planned at the host hotel, what are they?

I just noticed that the newsletter mentioned a get-together one night at the hotel. Also in the past some events would initiate at the hotel; cruises, poker runs etc. Once, we didn't stay at the host hotel and it was not worth the trouble of running back and forth. Not doing that again unless there is a specific reason not to stay there. Plus, the Southpointe takes care of us pretty well.

JMHO..... :hat_tip:

Edited by SoCalSGT

I just noticed that the newsletter mentioned a get-together one night at the hotel. Also in the past some events would initiate at the hotel; cruises, poker runs etc. Once, we didn't stay at the host hotel and it was not worth the trouble of running back and forth. Not doing that again unless there is a specific reason not to stay there. Plus, the Southpointe takes care of us pretty well.

JMHO..... :hat_tip:

The itinerary details are being worked out currently and will be rolled out shortly.

Things will not deviate very far from what you have experienced at previous Bashes and it will make sense for things to be centered around the host hotel

Registration, the Thursday reception and the Saturday night meal will all take place at South Point.

I will leave it up to Maverick to comment, but it makes sense for Friday's non-track events and the Poker Run to start there also.

OK, but looks like I will miss the great Cajun food and great odds and sports bar at the Orleans though. Is the food at the host hotel any good?

South Point has an excellent steakhouse and the cafe for breakfast was efficient and as good as anywhere.

With the proposed schedule, dinner after the reception on Thursday and Friday/Saturday breakfast are the only meals you will need to worry about.

South Point provides more bang for your buck than other hotels which is why I was a big advocate for the move back to South Point. The luxury hotel we used for the last year or two was not money well spent in my opinion especially when most Bash attendee's are only at the hotel for a few hours each night.

Also South Point has been more accommodating to Team Shelby members as compared to say the Aliante hotel from years back.

I should also mention that South Point does also have a couple of upscale restaurants and larger more luxurious rooms available for those who want extra pampering.

Steve

We spend our local dollars at South Point and Silverton (both south of the Strip on Las Vegas Blvd) and at the Green Valley a little ways east. All of the buffets are similar in choices and quality. South point movies are great ($4 matinees with players card), Silverton has best craps tables (South Point is second choice) but we use Green Valley buffet because of the local discounts.

For standalone restaurants there are a bunch that face LV blvd (like Chiles, etc) in the outlet mall (LV Blvd south of Warm Springs). The Town Square area (LV Blvd basically at I15/215, next to Frys) has a ton of restaurants. We like Millers Ale House and Claim Jumper.

You should sign up for a players card at every place you go and spend a little money to get some points on the card (at least once a year). If you do that you will get promotional mailings with great hotel rates at least once a month. I've seen Silverton rates as low as $40/night (midweek).

Edited by twobjshelbys

Other great reasons for the South Point are:

Great access to jump on the highway for a direct shot to Pahrump for the track events at Spring Mountain

Owned by an active racing family, the Gaughan's. I like to support people that support automotive and racing industries.

The dedicated parking is number one for any Bash I've been to.

Supporters of Equestrian and Rodeo events which is another add for my family.

Great truck parking and supportive of helping in that.

P.S. I've never gotten lost in the South Point. Banquet Rooms, elevators, front desk and everything else are laid out in a way that makes sense and doesn't take an hour to find your way around.

Edited by JeffJ

In Las Vegas I've stayed at the Wynn, Venetian, Pallazo, Paris, Bally's, Westin, Mandalay Bay, The Hotel, Treasure Island, Circus Circus, Monte Carlo, Alladin, Planet Hollywood, Tropicana, Aliante, MGM, Excalibur, Luxor, Hojo's, Palace Station, Stardust, Sands, Steamboat (or was it the showboat?), Greek Isles, St Tropez, Alexis Park, Crown Plaza, Courtyard, La Quinta, San Remo, Bellagio, Caesar's Palace, Hilton, and the South Point. And probably some others I forgot-- I spend 18 nights a month in Hotels and it is hard to remember them all.

Anyway, the Southpoint has become my favorite hotel in Vegas. I've stayed there several times outside of Shelby activities. The parking is great, very nice rooms, food is excellent (there are several restaurants in there), and the staff is nice.

I get my hair cut there at the Barber shop. Ask for Johnny, he has been cutting hair in Vegas for 30 years-he cuts Jerry Lewis's hair.

Yes, I fly to Vegas to get my hair cut.

The Southpoint also has a shuttle to the strip and to the airport.

I'm glad we are returning there. I'm making my hair appointment tomorrow.

I am planning a trip to Pahrump in a couple of weeks to pick up a car I just bought. I will be taking my trailer, so will stay at the Southpointe and see what it is like, seems like it would be convenient as a jump-off point for Pahrump and has trailer parking, right?

Both South Point and Silverton have ample parking and are right on the way (South Point being about 2-3 miles south of Blue Diamond and Silverton being right on Blue Diamond).

I am planning a trip to Pahrump in a couple of weeks to pick up a car I just bought. I will be taking my trailer, so will stay at the Southpointe and see what it is like, seems like it would be convenient as a jump-off point for Pahrump and has trailer parking, right?

More important than the Southpointe, what kind of car did you just buy !

More important than the Southpointe, what kind of car did you just buy !

Not a Shelby, or Ford. My other passion, a Corvette, one I have been searching for for years. It is a '64 big tank coupe (36.5 gallon fuel tank), fuel injected 375 HP, leather interior, power windows, special suspension, exhaust, rear axle ratio, and brakes. From the second owner of 35 years, has all original parts and delivery papers, 30K miles. Only 38 tankers were built that year, all special ordered for racing of some kind. With all the special order equipment this is truly one of one. It is in excellent original shape, but one repaint back about 40 years ago. These cars are like unicorns, very rarely seen or sold publicly. I was lucky the 83 year old owner needed to sell and I had been talking to him for years about it. Not cheap, but the rare ones never are.