TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any Wrist Watch Collectors Out There?

• 3 months later...

Shelby and Baume and Mercier had partnered last year on a couple of limited edition watches to honor Shelby’s 1965 FIA Championship and the Cobra. The Shelby Capeland Chronograph in Stainless Steel at 4450 retail limited to 1965 pieces to honor the year Shelby won the FIA Championship

And the Shelby Capeland Chronograph with Flyback in Rose Gold at $19500 retail limited to 98 pieces to honor Shelby’s #98 racing number.

They have now released another limited edition honoring the 289 cobra. This watch is in stainless steel. Retail is approx. $4500 and will be limited to 1963 pieces and is available with two different straps

Also here is a cool video about the watch along with some cool historical racing footage and an interview with Allan Grant (former Shelby Cobra Racer).

https://youtu.be/O8oUrhsB8Kk

Edited by mhr1961

I like the watch, but a Capeland Chrono is not worth north of $2K. You can get these all day long without the Shelby logo for well under $2K. If that name is worth $2500 to you knock yourself out.

For $4500 my money is going to another Breitling or Omega, maybe even a Choppard.

Then again maybe it will hold its value, B&M's usually do not, but this one could in the Shelby world, not so much the watch lover world.

Edited by carnut12

I like the watch, but a Capeland Chrono is not worth north of $2K. You can get these all day long without the Shelby logo for well under $2K. If that name is worth $2500 to you knock yourself out.

For $4500 my money is going to another Breitling or Omega, maybe even a Choppard.

Then again maybe it will hold its value, B&M's usually do not, but this one could in the Shelby world, not so much the watch lover world.

+1

I ain't spending more than 50 bucks for a Timex Ironman. 2 grand for something that tells time? That be outrageous.

I ain't spending more than 50 bucks for a Timex Ironman. 2 grand for something that tells time? That be outrageous.

Lol, I can understand those that think it is crazy, but many including myself like watches. The good news is if you buy the right ones they hold their value fairly well so, although you spend thousands, you can recoup much of it if needed. You can also buy preowned and sell years later for about the same as you paid.

Lol, I can understand those that think it is crazy, but many including myself like watches. The good news is if you buy the right ones they hold their value fairly well so, although you spend thousands, you can recoup much of it if needed. You can also buy preowned and sell years later for about the same as you paid.

A watch is a tool for me, not an investment. Will it tell me the time? That's all I need. For some things, function is the only thing I'm interested in.

Yeah, and a car is just transportation so why should we spend so much on our road toys? Because we want to and we love how they look and run! It is more than about the function, it is about appreciating our toys for what they mean to us. And sometimes we get to show off a little bit as well as enjoy our "collectables" with others of the same mind. We are kind of irresponsible that way! :cool:

Yeah, and a car is just transportation so why should we spend so much on our road toys? Because we want to and we love how they look and run! It is more than about the function, it is about appreciating our toys for what they mean to us. And sometimes we get to show off a little bit as well as enjoy our "collectables" with others of the same mind. We are kind of irresponsible that way! :cool:

Exactly!!

I've worked very hard since leaving high school.

Passed up any "further" edjumuhcayshun. :lol:

Worked since I was legally able...totally appreciated the value of a buck, and what it could do for me. Opened my own small business when I was able and worked hard every minute of every day. My wife and I also never had any young'ns. No weddings, no college tuition, no clothes, no books, no food, etc.... Sooooo, I spend my hard earned dough on very few things that make me happy. Cars, watches and fine food and drink. That about covers it for me. Pretty simple guy. And for this I make no apologies. :cool:

I've worked very hard since leaving high school.

Passed up any "further" edjumuhcayshun. :lol:

Worked since I was legally able...totally appreciated the value of a buck, and what it could do for me. Opened my own small business when I was able and worked hard every minute of every day. My wife and I also never had any young'ns. No weddings, no college tuition, no clothes, no books, no food, etc.... Sooooo, I spend my hard earned dough on very few things that make me happy. Cars, watches and fine food and drink. That about covers it for me. Pretty simple guy. And for this I make no apologies. :cool:

Yup, my hard earned dollars go to make me and the wife happy. Mostly me, but I guess she's along for the ride sometimes. Fortunately I'm a hedonist, I enjoy it to the fullest.

• 2 weeks later...

What a good subject. I have always wanted a Omega Seamaster (James Bond addition). This past weekend I found a listing in the San Francisco Bay area listing one for sale, and was priced reasonable. While talking to the owner she had said her late husband also collected a few watches and that he had four more in a boxed electric watch winder display that she would also sell. to make the long story short I bought the 5 watches and the watch winder case. The one I was interested in was the Omega Seamaster, the others the Tag Heuer Monaco twenty four. The RolexYacht Master, the Tag Heuer Link, and the last Rolex Submariner. She did not know a lot about these. Any idea how I can identify knock offs from real. The have the correct high quality watch bands, the two Rolex have a green hologram sticker on the back with serial number. I plugged the watch winder in and three of the five started working immediately. The Omega I now wear was working at the time of purchase. If they are knockoffs they are over a very high quality. I tried to attach pictures, but the site says pictures are to big to load.

What a good subject. I have always wanted a Omega Seamaster (James Bond addition). This past weekend I found a listing in the San Francisco Bay area listing one for sale, and was priced reasonable. While talking to the owner she had said her late husband also collected a few watches and that he had four more in a boxed electric watch winder display that she would also sell. to make the long story short I bought the 5 watches and the watch winder case. The one I was interested in was the Omega Seamaster, the others the Tag Heuer Monaco twenty four. The RolexYacht Master, the Tag Heuer Link, and the last Rolex Submariner. She did not know a lot about these. Any idea how I can identify knock offs from real. The have the correct high quality watch bands, the two Rolex have a green hologram sticker on the back with serial number. I plugged the watch winder in and three of the five started working immediately. The Omega I now wear was working at the time of purchase. If they are knockoffs they are over a very high quality. I tried to attach pictures, but the site says pictures are to big to load.

WOW, you may have gotten a REALLY good deal, I would take them to a local AD (Authorized Dealer).

Yes, they were found a good neighborhood. The winder seems to be a real good quality. I'm not sure how all the functions of it work. each one of the four has a three way switch side to side the middle is off with a push button off to the side of each switch. At the bottom of each switch has a four position code switch that you set from one to six. I have no idea of how any of it works other than the basic function. I plugged it in and they all started rotating at different times. never seen one or even knew they existed. I do like the Monaco Tag Heuer 24 Calibre 36 with the blue and orange strips, not sure how this work. Looks like speedometers on each side of the hands. It will be fun researching and finding how all work and function.