TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any Wrist Watch Collectors Out There?

It seems to me that when I meet a new car guy, some of us also have a passion for watches?

I personally have about 15 of them. Various brands, automatics and quartz powered. Several different colors for wardrobe accessorizing :lol: and such. My wife thinks I'm crazy....of course.

Anyway, was just wondering if any TS members had the same disease with watches that we all seem to have with our cars.

All of mine are very similarly styled. Sports types. ROLEX style essentially. Stainless steel in color and bulky.

It seems to me that when I meet a new car guy, some of us also have a passion for watches?

I personally have about 15 of them. Various brands, automatics and quartz powered. Several different colors for wardrobe accessorizing :lol: and such. My wife thinks I'm crazy....of course.

Anyway, was just wondering if any TS members had the same disease with watches that we all seem to have with our cars.

All of mine are very similarly styled. Sports types. ROLEX style essentially. Stainless steel in color and bulky.

Two things 1. I like car related watches but i don`t have fifteen.

2. Your wife is right. :lol:

I have 18 and looking for a new one, nothing too expensive I just like different watches. I have never dove into the Rolex or Breitling game though, my best is a Tag Huer which is good enough for me. If I buy a $10,000 watch I won't have money for SHELBY mods and other fun things.

My wife just accepts my addiction, look at it this way, does your wife only have one pair of shoes, mine doesn't.

I wonder what ever happened to the discussion of us getting a SHELBY watch in that $500 to $1200.00 range, I haven't heard anything else about that for probably 18 months now!

See? I knew it!!!

Sweet.

I like automatics more so, but if there's a super cool gotta have it Quartz , I'm in.

I have several Invictas, Androids, an Orient, Omega, one Rolex and a couple Fossils.

And like 06H275 says...currently (and always) looking for the "next one"! :hysterical:

And as for the wife's shoe comment...... Don't get me started. She is a shoe and jeans NUT! Some of those items cost what I pay for a high quality Invicta.

:drop:

I must have about 12 to 15 watches of various brands and values. Some are special edition Mustang ones. I was very disappointed that Rolex, the primary sponsor of Monterey Historics, did not come out with a special edition honoring the Shelby GT350. Their large display tent had a couple of original 65 GT350 cars in it. I would certainly like a special edition Shelby watch from Shelby licensing in the $500 to $1500 range. Not an over priced Brietling, Cartier or Omega, but certainly better style and quality than a Timex. Maybe in the line of a TagHeuer or Tourneau. Past Shelby licensed watches have been way too pricey and not very appealing.

I almost forgot, I also have a Tag AquaRacer, a Citizen and a new (tho old school looking) Seiko.... All automatics

Last Christmas my wife bought me a Shinola (made in Detroit). Bitchin' watch!! :rockon: Uber high quality. Quartz, but wears like a multi thousand dollar watch. If you are a watch nut. You know what I mean by "wears" like a thousand dollar watch. Very smooth feeling, flexi, and "soft" on your wrist. I encourage you all to check out the Shinola line!

I don't usually like car themed watches but liked what Baume & Mercier came out with to honor Shelby's 1965 Cobras and FIA Championship. I was able to obtain one of these Limited Edition Baume & Mercier Shelby Capeland Chronographs before they were officially released this past June. They are only making this edition once. 1965 Pieces in Stainless Steel (shown below) to commemorate the year of Shelby's FIA Championship, and 98 Pieces in Rose Gold to honor Shelby's racing number. They come with a polished wood presentation case that contains a 1/64 Limited Edition Shelby Cobra, a limited edition Shelby print and a limited edition booklet about Shelby. A portion of each sale also goes to the Shelby Foundation.

Baume_Mercier_Capeland_Shelby_Cobra_coll

I almost forgot, I also have a Tag AquaRacer, a Citizen and a new (tho old school looking) Seiko.... All automatics

Last Christmas my wife bought me a Shinola (made in Detroit). Bitchin' watch!! :rockon: Uber high quality. Quartz, but wears like a multi thousand dollar watch. If you are a watch nut. You know what I mean by "wears" like a thousand dollar watch. Very smooth feeling, flexi, and "soft" on your wrist. I encourage you all to check out the Shinola line!

Sorry to inform you but Shinola’s watches are not “Made in Detroit”. They are “Assembled in Detroit”. The movement is Swiss. The remaining parts are from China. Nothing in the watch itself is “Made in the USA”. The watch strap is the only thing made in the USA. There are publications that say Shinola makes about 150,000 watches per year but only employ 2 trained “watchmakers” who oversee production. The other 85 people in production are $10 to $12 per hour watch parts “assemblers”. They sell the watches for between $500 and $1200. Each watch only has about $50 in manufacturing costs (parts & labor). Unfortunately, many boutique/designer watches in the $300 to $1500 range are more marketing hype than “horology”. The owner of Shinola used to be the guy that ran Fossil so he does know effective Marketing though. Not putting down your watch, just letting you know, and others who may consider this watch know that Shinola's watches are not made in Detroit.

Sorry to inform you but Shinola’s watches are not “Made in Detroit”. They are “Assembled in Detroit”. The movement is Swiss. The remaining parts are from China. Nothing in the watch itself is “Made in the USA”. The watch strap is the only thing made in the USA. There are publications that say Shinola makes about 150,000 watches per year but only employ 2 trained “watchmakers” who oversee production. The other 85 people in production are $10 to $12 per hour watch parts “assemblers”. They sell the watches for between $500 and $1200. Each watch only has about $50 in manufacturing costs (parts & labor). Unfortunately, many boutique/designer watches in the $300 to $1500 range are more marketing hype than “horology”. The owner of Shinola used to be the guy that ran Fossil so he does know effective Marketing though. Not putting down your watch, just letting you know, and others who may consider this watch know that Shinola's watches are not made in Detroit.

The above is all true...... You're correct.

I did research on them before I bought the watch. I bought a very unusual one, that I don't even see for sale anywhere. It has an old school look and feel to it. I'll have to get a pic.....

My 2008 GT500 is also "assembled" in the US. :cool:

Cool topic, Chris! Yup I like watches too. Watches are what I call "Man jewelry." My wife thinks my 5 watches are too many. (I used to have more but I sold them at our local jewelry shop.) I just say "How many pairs of shoes and necklaces/earrings/bracelets do you have?" (Probably about 100 pairs of shoes!) Thanks, I'll check out the Shinolas.

Cool topic, Chris! Yup I like watches too. Watches are what I call "Man jewelry." My wife thinks my 5 watches are too many. (I used to have more but I sold them at our local jewelry shop.) I just say "How many pairs of shoes and necklaces/earrings/bracelets do you have?" (Probably about 100 pairs of shoes!) Thanks, I'll check out the Shinolas.

Hey Sean! Thanks bud. :victory:

Laurie sounds like she and Gina would be GREAT friends!!! :lol:

I don't usually like car themed watches but liked what Baume & Mercier came out with to honor Shelby's 1965 Cobras and FIA Championship. I was able to obtain one of these Limited Edition Baume & Mercier Shelby Capeland Chronographs before they were officially released this past June. They are only making this edition once. 1965 Pieces in Stainless Steel (shown below) to commemorate the year of Shelby's FIA Championship, and 98 Pieces in Rose Gold to honor Shelby's racing number. They come with a polished wood presentation case that contains a 1/64 Limited Edition Shelby Cobra, a limited edition Shelby print and a limited edition booklet about Shelby. A portion of each sale also goes to the Shelby Foundation.

Baume_Mercier_Capeland_Shelby_Cobra_coll

I love this watch!! Thanks for the heads up!

I'm waiting on a quote right now....

The $3975 is a good deal for the Stainless Steel Version of the Limited Edition Shelby Capeland. Most dealers are selling at or above the suggested retail of $4450. I have seen a few priced in Europe for over $5.5k. I am sure there is going to be a deal on them here and there but I don't think you will see this watch heavily discounted....especially when they start to run out of them.

I love this watch!! Thanks for the heads up!

I'm waiting on a quote right now....

You will love it even more when it is on your wrist. It is my "Driving" watch. I wear mine every time I take the 2008 SGT Convertible out. It is super comfortable and feels well balanced on the arm. When the light hits it at certain angles you can see the subtle race stripes across the face. Another thing that is cool is the luminescent numbers. They glow a sort of Neon "Grabber Blue" at night......not the typical greenish color. It is a cool watch. Good luck and let us know if you got a deal. I got mine before the official release at full retail but I didn't care, it is a well crafted timepiece and worth the investment.