TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recommendations for the 2016 Shelby Bash

CSL-Tracey

I love the Run to the event. It gives you a jump on the registration process and cruising with all those other beautiful cars is awesome, especially when going through the countryside, not on the interstate. A run approaching from another direction (i.e. Phoenix area) would be a great idea. It would take some initiative from someone in the area to help put it together.

Poker Run, or any other type of cruises, are great. Agree that a list of addresses will be helpful for those not familiar with the area. The trip out to Valley of Fire was insane!! Loved that scenery.

The car show has to be closer to town, like at SAI. I invited a bunch of local friends to come check it out, but they were not thrilled about driving all the way out to Spring Mountain.

The evening events at SAI were cool. I agree that one of the evenings would be nice to spend in the host hotel. I am sure it will add to the cost, but will allow participants to let their hair down a bit more if they don't have to worry about driving afterwards.

I am one of those that enjoys the track experience most of all. I hope this part of the event will always be.

A few folks like me last year needed to pick up a rental to participate. I remember a few folks could not get a Mustang because of availability at the rental companies. Is it possible that SAI or Bash committee could work with local rental companies and secure some reserved Mustangs? Last year Herz offered a 2014 model with a new Hertz style paint job. Just a thought. Could be part of the Bash ticket package.

Thanks for the info, never thought about the auctions.

Thats one reason for asking all the questions of a starting point.

This seems like it should go without saying, but here is an anecdote from when we were looking at having our cars shipped from the Northeast region out to the Bash a few years ago....

We were trying to get enough people to commit so that we would fill an entire hauler, and therefore save a few dollars. Even at maximum capacity, the bill was going to be just shy of $2000/car. We were trying to find an additional car to 'seal the deal', when someone posted that we must not have done our homework, because they had a quote of somewhere in the area of $1200 to ship their 'single' car to Las Vegas. We scratch our heads for a while, wondering how we hadn't been able to find such a deal ourselves. Someone in our group finally asked "That's a round trip quote....right?" We never heard from the guy again. :doh:

Remember you need to get the car back home after the event!

Z-man

Edited by Z-man

This seems like it should go without saying, but here is an anecdote from when we were looking at having our cars shipped from the Northeast region out to the Bash a few years ago....

We were trying to get enough people to commit so that we would fill an entire hauler, and therefore save a few dollars. Even at maximum capacity, the bill was going to be just shy of $2000/car. We were trying to find an additional car to 'seal the deal', when someone posted that we must not have done our homework, because they had a quote of somewhere in the area of $1200 to ship their 'single' car to Las Vegas. We scratch our heads for a while, wondering how we hadn't been able to find such a deal ourselves. Someone in our group finally asked "That's a round trip quote....right?" We never heard from the guy again. :doh:

Z-man

I do believe Jim already figured out how he's getting his car home.....

Thinking of shipping my car to LA to do the Gardenia drive to Vegas then after the Bash, driving cross country home...

Z-man

Z-man,

I am figuring on $2000 one way. I was trying to ship my ride to SLC and back this past August for the Sturgis event. When I heard $2000 one way, I about fainted. We just rented and enjoyed driving the rental and had a blast.

As far as the Bash goes, our plan is to ship out and drive home. Coming home from Vegas, we plan to stop in OKC to visit our daughter and then head to Fl.

Thank you for all your good information

I had my KR shipped to Pocono, PA. from New Mexico for SAAC 40. Because it had to arrive on a certain day, it was very expensive and since it was around Monterey car week, it was more expensive. If you get many cars to fill it, that makes it much cheaper per car, but a specific day arrival is still a special order for them and will cost more.

You all are correct. In the past it was very late when the information was made available. But we are doing our best this time around, to get the information out as soon as possible,allowing for people to make their vacation plans and other such plans so they can make it to the Bash.

Hi

Go to the 2015 Bash post in the events forum, we announced the Bash date and itinerary October 21st, 2014!

Michael

I do have a suggestion for the Bash events, i.e. poker run, fun day cruising and general site seeing.

Print the address to the places (on the back cover or maybe a separate sheet of paper) that everyone is going to see. The reason I say this, when we were in Sturgis for their recent event, many stops were listed to "go see". Most people drove straight there. People like me that have never been to these "stops" were lost and did not make some of the sites.

With a list of the addresses, we could plug into the GPS...

At the Bash you get a printed map with the routes and addresses.

After reading the some the comments here regarding past Bashes, I have a few comments:

Track - its is the most popular component of the event by far. This is completely understandable considering Shelby history. After all , Carroll was a track rat

Shelby Run - Gardena is the logical start point. It is a key Shelby facility and the Bash is a vehicle for people to visit the location.

Hotel choice - In the past we have sought a happy medium. While people who post here seem to like the South Point for it's cost, we have just as many people who will not stay there and prefer to stay at a higher quality hotel.

Transportation for long distance attendees - Call Steve at Image Auto 702 - 278 - 9304. He transports most of the Shelby deliveries. I have personally used him 4 times and his response and accomodation is excellent.

looking forward to another excellent time with 250 of my closest friends!

After reading the some the comments here regarding past Bashes, I have a few comments:

Track - its is the most popular component of the event by far. This is completely understandable considering Shelby history. After all , Carroll was a track rat

Shelby Run - Gardena is the logical start point. It is a key Shelby facility and the Bash is a vehicle for people to visit the location.

Hotel choice - In the past we have sought a happy medium. While people who post here seem to like the South Point for it's cost, we have just as many people who will not stay there and prefer to stay at a higher quality hotel.

Transportation for long distance attendees - Call Steve at Image Auto 702 - 278 - 9304. He transports most of the Shelby deliveries. I have personally used him 4 times and his response and accomodation is excellent.

Thanks for the lead

Thanks for the lead

Lots of people ship their cars for the annual Ford GT rally. There are enough people that Reliable batches cars by regions and tries to fill up a transporter with all GTs. They get a pretty good rate if the cars are clustered for the pickup. The trucks then do regional moves during the week and then return to pick up at the event location and return to the owners.

So maybe try to start another topic on arranging transporters. Start by collecting zip codes of departure.

This is the right time to start doing that! They need long lead times when coordinating these kinds of runs. I can give you the name of the contact at Reliable.

Lots of people ship their cars for the annual Ford GT rally. There are enough people that Reliable batches cars by regions and tries to fill up a transporter with all GTs. They get a pretty good rate if the cars are clustered for the pickup. The trucks then do regional moves during the week and then return to pick up at the event location and return to the owners.

So maybe try to start another topic on arranging transporters. Start by collecting zip codes of departure.

This is the right time to start doing that! They need long lead times when coordinating these kinds of runs. I can give you the name of the contact at Reliable.

Please do. that would be great

Michael, Thanks for the contact. ill be out again from FL in March and the trip in 2014 was crazy fun. I can't wait to run with all of you again!

When I transported CSX2299 Daytona Coupe from Miller in Salt lake City to the 2014 Mini Nats in Sonoma, Reliable was greater than 2x the cost of Image Auto Transport.

We are putting together a truck from the KC area for the Bash. PM me if you are interested.

Mav,

Did I just make an assumption of limited people with this comment? :shrug:

If so, sorry...

Mav,

Did I just make an assumption of limited people with this comment? :shrug:

If so, sorry...

Take it easy........that was a joke.

There has not been any limitation in number of attendees since the original Bash in 2008

Edited by MMcGuirk

I'm hoping they are not all there at one time and place, sounds like a mess of a traffic jam in 'Vegas or LA. Is there something in Gardena worth seeing to start there? I always though it was just an historic place for Shelby but that noting is left but maybe a vacant lot or old building.

I'm hoping they are not all there at one time and place, sounds like a mess of a traffic jam in 'Vegas or LA. Is there something in Gardena worth seeing to start there? I always though it was just an historic place for Shelby but that noting is left but maybe a vacant lot or old building.

Mike

2 per car - 125 cars - staggered start, rendezvous in Barstow, own I 15 to Vegas. We have done it enough to date that it works well.

Gardena houses most of Carroll's collection, it is the site of the new Carroll Shelby Museum(currently under construction). Very much occupied by Carroll Shelby industries.

The Snake Pit parties are fun. We have everyone parked inside, with Carroll's cars intersperced among ours.

Michael

Snake pit party and the Run to LV is one of my favorite parts of the event. In the past you could pick up your registration packets and door decals here, giving you more time to prepare for the fun of LV. There were even car shows and few plaques handed out in year's past. I have made a point to go 3-4 hours out of the way, the day prior just so I can make the party and the Run.

Well OK, just that in most of the road tours and rallies I have done, anything over about 40 cars gets disorganized and crowded. I guess I will see how you all do it, but must be a big venue for the meetings to have a parking lot/garage big enough for 125 cars.

Definitely max out your participation. I promise you won't be disappointed. The folks that put in all the effort to run these events bust their back sides to make sure we all have a great time. Here are a couple videos that you can reference. There are hundreds more on YouTube from past events.

https://youtu.be/A8gqUbynUWc

https://youtu.be/G8MW8wltXhA

The sectioned off garage guarded parking was a super plus at the south point. The cheap rooms were just an added bonus!!!

Unfortunately SOUTH POINT I believe was the Host Hotel for the NASCAR Event last year and IF this truly is the same Weekend as that event.. good luck with that cost being any better or even available. I for one have always loved South Point as it seems more laid back than a hotel on the strip....time will tell?? The True DEAL is Getting together with Our Friends.. No matter where.. and the CARS are a bonus!! Whether enjoying them in a scenic country drive or on the track or at a Car SHOW...Being with Our Friends is the Have to!! :)

Have two caravan style cruise points. One in California for us out west say the old Shelby location or Den Beste and one out east or Midwest perhaps Ford headquarters in Michigan that can grow as it heads west. Everybody can converge in Vegas. Who knows maybe some ford folks will decide to join in and see the magnitude of Shelby's reach and importance of corporate support from ford to Shelby.