TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Save the Date 2016 Shelby Bash March 3-6th

I Just wanted to put a shout-out to save the date for the 2016 Shelby Bash, which will take place March 3-6TH!! We will be focusing heavily on the track experience, special entertainment and having a great time with friends! Look for updates shortly. We are utilizing the survey feedback participants provided after the 2015 Shelby Bash to tailor an event that everyone will enjoy! Feel free to make any additional suggestions here! It’s going to be a great time...

Tracey

I like seeing the dates early so people can start to book vacations!

As far as the Bash leaning heavily on the Track Experience,from a personal point of view I feel this is not what the Shelby Bash was all about based on how it seems to have started out!!!

I personally have no desire,even thoughmy car is a convertible with no intention to install a roll bar, want to go tracking!

There are many people who have attended previous Bashes who are not interested in track events but want to celebrate the Bash as an event where all Shelby enthusiasts can cruise together,go to non track events together,have great times meeting likewise members at the social aspect of this event.

Sadly I honestly feel that this event is not about the average Team Shelby member but to an exclusive club of Track Guys!!!

This is not intended to knock or critizize the people who want to track butto say that there are also lots of TS members who do not want to go that route. It should reflect a much more varied set of events for all TS members who want to enjoy and celebrate the Shelby brand.

Why can't the event reflect that content and leave the Tracking experience for different dates and events for those who want to go rip around,heaven knows there are lots of track events during the year as it is,let's have this one for all Team Shelby members not just a percentage of them!!!!!

Edited by supersnake junkie

As far as the Bash leaning heavily on the Track Experience,from a personal point of view I feel this is not what the Shelby Bash was all about based on how it seems to have started out!!!

I personally have no desire,even thoughmy car is a convertible with no intention to install a roll bar, want to go tracking!

There are many people who have attended previous Bashes who are not interested in track events but want to celebrate the Bash as an event where all Shelby enthusiasts can cruise together,go to non track events together,have great times meeting likewise members at the social aspect of this event.

Sadly I honestly feel that this event is not about the average Team Shelby member but to an exclusive club of Track Guys!!!

This is not intended to knock or critizize the people who want to track butto say that there are also lots of TS members who do not want to go that route. It should reflect a much more varied set of events for all TS members who want to enjoy and celebrate the Shelby brand.

Why can't the event reflect that content and leave the Tracking experience for different dates and events for those who want to go rip around,heaven knows there are lots of track events during the year as it is,let's have this one for all Team Shelby members not just a percentage of them!!!!!

Just for curiosity sake, If you could have it your way, what would you want to see at a 3 day Shelby Bash event?

Hmmm... My car will be in Vegas getting the engine built at that time. Don't think it will be done by those dates. But I also agree with SSjunkie about it being a track focused event not being great for everyone. I also don't race the car. I liked the poker run and car show portion of the bash. Also the dinner and lunches were great. During the 50th bash I did all the events except the track. And that was a great experience. I didn't get to go to last years but I believe there was a scavenger event? That sounded fun. Not everyone would participate in every event no. But that gives people an option of what to do besides the track. But thank you for getting the dates out really early!

Just for curiosity sake, If you could have it your way, what would you want to see at a 3 day Shelby Bash event?

Well I think that there are lots of options that could be put together!

The first is at the Car show at the beginning of the Bash,such as at last years Bash at sAI new location,a cruise/poker run through the Valley of fire,trip out to the Hoover Dam,trip/ cruise of to the closest point at the Grand Canyon,cruise down to Flagstaff/Route 66 etc.

There can be so much more given time!!!

Edited by supersnake junkie

We had a poker run last year, along with several very nice receptions. I know Tracey is very open to suggestions. Other than the poker run, what would you like to do? Mike, would you do the run in your KR or is there something else you would have in mind?

I Just wanted to put a shout-out to save the date for the 2016 Shelby Bash, which will take place March 3-6TH!! We will be focusing heavily on the track experience, special entertainment and having a great time with friends! Look for updates shortly. We are utilizing the survey feedback participants provided after the 2015 Shelby Bash to tailor an event that everyone will enjoy! Feel free to make any additional suggestions here! It’s going to be a great time...

Tracey

Hopefully there will be some positive feedback for you Tracey on thus subject!!!!

I dont think that taking the feedback from last years Bash participants is a fair reflection of what next years Bash should be!

Firstly,only last years attendees were the only ones to give their thoughts,i dont recall anybody else until now being aboe to give some ideas until now!

Secondly,last years attendance was i believe the lowest turnout ever for the Bash,so again,only a small percentage have influenced next years event.

Thirdly,putting the dvent on so early in the year makes it almost impossible for many TS members to get their cars to the event due to winter conditions still prevailing in most other parts of the US & Canada so only very costly shipping is their alternative! N

This in turn seems to favour the few lower states being the majority of attendees which to me seems that the California guys are the largest group of attendees as all they gotta do is drive up the road to Vegas!

The Shelby runs always start in California either in Gardena or Palm Springs!

Again i want to emphasise that im not being critical but trying to offer a different perspective to where it always seems to be at!

A few Florida members are thinking of joining this year.

I am interested in some track events but depending on the rules for a convertible, I may be limited...

DOES the convertible REQUIRE a rollbar to do ANY track event? WE have some events here in Florida that allow the convertible on the track WITHOUT the rollbar....until I get some experience with the car, I refuse to put rollbar in.

A few Florida members are thinking of joining this year.

I am interested in some track events but depending on the rules for a convertible, I may be limited...

DOES the convertible REQUIRE a rollbar to do ANY track event? WE have some events here in Florida that allow the convertible on the track WITHOUT the rollbar....until I get some experience with the car, I refuse to put rollbar in.

It was not an option 2 or 3 years back. I tried, but too no avail. Like Paul said, there are plenty of other cool things to do. A couple friends went and visited a ghost town a couple years back. Hoover damn/ London Bridge...there are options for non track goers (even if not by choice).

We had a poker run last year, along with several very nice receptions. I know Tracey is very open to suggestions. Other than the poker run, what would you like to do? Mike, would you do the run in your KR or is there something else you would have in mind?

A poker run would allow those who bring non-track-racing cars to participate, a display would be good for the older cars too, not necessarily a show but a place set aside at some reception or event to display the older cars for people to look at and meet each other. I am just thinking about SAAC 40 last month where the race track stuff dominated the entire event with not much available for the classics to do and no events where the old and new could join together instead of feeling separate and not getting to meet and greet. But I know TS is mostly about the late model GT500s and the modified cars, so understand the primary focus on the track. I could bring my 2013 GT350, but I don't want to track and race it either, or drive around the public roads at 30-50 mph above the speed limits…... :)

Hi SUPERSNAKE Junkie,

I have a 2008 Convertible myself, and have never tracked it... except for on the drag strip at Terlingua! When we conducted the 2015 post bash survey, there was a lot of positive feedback about the track experience so we want to add to those experiences in 2016 by including opportunities for workshops and getting people out in new Shelby vehicles, etc. We also want to provide new types of entertainment, guest and all the things people love to do, such as the cruises, car show, parties and just hanging out with friends. The idea to include all the things people love to do at the bash and add new activities. I’d love to hear what makes the experience fun for all participants so we can plan the best event experience for everyone. Feel free to let me know...

Best,

Tracey

Hi SUPERSNAKE Junkie,

I have a 2008 Convertible myself, and have never tracked it... except for on the drag strip at Terlingua! When we conducted the 2015 post bash survey, there was a lot of positive feedback about the track experience so we want to add to those experiences in 2016 by including opportunities for workshops and getting people out in new Shelby vehicles, etc. We also want to provide new types of entertainment, guest and all the things people love to do, such as the cruises, car show, parties and just hanging out with friends. The idea to include all the things people love to do at the bash and add new activities. I’d love to hear what makes the experience fun for all participants so we can plan the best event experience for everyone. Feel free to let me know...

Best,

Tracey

Thanks for the response Tracey!!!

I think that your reply reflected the general mood many of us members would like to see,you are right about the positive feedback from last years attendees,bearing in mind last years event was also pretty much all track event oriented and even the wrap up car show was at the track!!!

That being said I also felt that too much emphasis is put on the track experience where I truly believe a majority of Team Shelby members want to hang out together and meet new friends,see other peoples cars,meet up with old friends,go cruising in nice sized groups which is so awesome to see so many cool cars driving together.....what a statement!!!!

We would all be in Vegas for the Bash so let's have a presence there and show off our prized possesionns to all around!!!

There are lots of track events during the year all over North America so let's make the Bash more about the TS members who want a great social experience and let the Racng Group go to those instead!!!!

Having been to the last several Bashes and not tracked our cars, other scheduled activities that we definitely enjoyed:

The gardena and caddy shack welcome events are always a great time to catch up with old friends and meet new people

The run from palm springs up to vegas (while seeing the gardena facility was nice, that LA morning rush hour was ugly last year)

The poker run is an annual hit and there's a Lot of great scenic routes that can be used around vegas for one (preferably not just heading out to the track along the second most direct route, though -- that was borderline boring last year)

The Hoover Dam run a few years ago was also great, as would be a general run through the valley of fire (following the post-poker run route from a couple years ago) or up to the grand canyon, etc

The car shows/dinners/breakfast at SAI HQ were also awesome -- last year's car show at the track really seemed to be lacking in both attendance and ambiance

Bring back the photo scavenger hunt, please!! That was an awesome way to try and track down both people (SAI employees, etc) to get more involved with them and find interesting bits of history (ie the coin in the floor at the new SAI HQ or Carroll's signature on the wall at the old HQ)

Even just hanging out at the track socializing with folks and watching them on the track is enjoyable, in moderation

Having events focused mostly around the track like last year though wasn't quite as engaging as past years had been.

There are plenty of car shows for Shelby enthusiasts to attend, but not that many track days for those who want to get out and use the HP that we have! Thank you for organizing this and look forward to another great time in Vegas!

There are plenty of car shows for Shelby enthusiasts to attend, but not that many track days for those who want to get out and use the HP that we have! Thank you for organizing this and look forward to another great time in Vegas!

I think you are missing the point,it's about the whole experience!!

The last year or so has been too Track heavy which means there has been no balance for other TS members who neither can or want to track.

We want it to be fair for all with everyone having fun!!!

Would it be possible to have a drag race event and not just around in circles track events? I've done lots of drag racing with my cars, I find that much more interesting than the around in circles stuff.

Drag racing is boring. 10 seconds in a straight line and then wait an hour to try it again. But, if you like it, cool. We all like different stuff.

Drag racing is boring. 10 seconds in a straight line and then wait an hour to try it again. But, if you like it, cool. We all like different stuff.

I know, that is what I like about it, your car is not exposed to crazy, boy racer drivers around a twisty track course for miles and miles. But I have been drag racing since I was a teenager in the '60s, nobody track raced in those days, that was reserved for 4 banger foreign cars and was not in the culture. Drag racing is mostly about the car, not the driver, tracking is just the opposite, I like the car to be at the center of the race, I am not a great track driver and don't have the interest to learn how to be, but my reaction times and anticipation skills are really good. :)

I think it would be great to add the drag racing component to the Bash.

However with the track located at Spring Mountain an hour west of LV, and the drag strip north of LV, the geographical logistics are not favorable. Assuming you wanted the cars to co-mingle (being able to do both on the same day). Otherwise, the drag racing would be a stand alone component of the Bash (like a cruise or poker run)

We added drag racing to our annual NorCal event this past August, and those that ran, had a great time. I made 7 passes myself, and didn't wait more than 6-10 minutes between passes for the cars to cycle thru.

10 seconds? I wish I could run 10 seconds.... :worship:

Regarding exposure to other cars. I've been open tracking for over 2 decades, and I cannot recall the last time two cars came together. Every incident I've seen have been single vehicle going off.

I think it would be great to add the drag racing component to the Bash.

However with the track located at Spring Mountain an hour west of LV, and the drag strip north of LV, the geographical logistics are not favorable. Assuming you wanted the cars to co-mingle (being able to do both on the same day). Otherwise, the drag racing would be a stand alone component of the Bash (like a cruise or poker run)

We added drag racing to our annual NorCal event this past August, and those that ran, had a great time. I made 7 passes myself, and didn't wait more than 6-10 minutes between passes for the cars to cycle thru.

10 seconds? I wish I could run 10 seconds.... :worship:

Regarding exposure to other cars. I've been open tracking for over 2 decades, and I cannot recall the last time two cars came together. Every incident I've seen have been single vehicle going off.

I witnessed some pretty close calls at SAAC 40 at Pocono, and the drivers seemed to be taking no prisoners when it came to passing slower cars on all sides and even yelling at them and shaking their fists as they went by. Maybe Team Shelby guys are more polite and gentlemanly, that would not take much though…….. :)

Thanks for the response Tracey!!!

I think that your reply reflected the general mood many of us members would like to see,you are right about the positive feedback from last years attendees,bearing in mind last years event was also pretty much all track event oriented and even the wrap up car show was at the track!!!

That being said I also felt that too much emphasis is put on the track experience where I truly believe a majority of Team Shelby members want to hang out together and meet new friends,see other peoples cars,meet up with old friends,go cruising in nice sized groups which is so awesome to see so many cool cars driving together.....what a statement!!!!

We would all be in Vegas for the Bash so let's have a presence there and show off our prized possesionns to all around!!!

There are lots of track events during the year all over North America so let's make the Bash more about the TS members who want a great social experience and let the Racng Group go to those instead!!!!

Hi SSJ,

We will definitely put our thoughts together in terms of additional activities. I’m going to post an open suggestion section in the Events forum for the 2016 Shelby Bash. I attended the NorCal SAAC/Team Shelby Nationals this year and they provided a variety of activities outside of the track that people could participate in al-a-carte i.e. a wine country cruise, bar-b-que, etc. It was great for people to be able to opt in on what was interesting and fun for them... less pricy too. The bar-b-que was a big hit! As for our bash, I know the poker run is always great and we can look at some special cruises and activities. The Valley of Fire and scavenger hunts over the years have also been fun. We will most likely have the track days on Friday and Saturday this year, which will leave Sunday open for a nice breakfast car show too. We have some time to plan some great activities...

Best,

Tracey

Tracy,

I am an employee of SA that is looking forward to the Bash. Please let me know if there is anything that I can help out with. As an employee, I have been able to take some of these cars out on the track and am fully aware of the capabilities of a Shelby. I will remind everyone that Carroll was a driver way before his cars were ever famous. And it was out at the track where his cars became famous. I am an employee and i am super excited for this years event. Please let Mike or Tim know that I am local and I am willing to help with any on the ground assistance that you may need to assure that this year event is the best that it can be. chrisr@shelby.com

I appreciate the advanced notice. Most Shelby events seem to be catered only to ummm well more retired inclined and or rich folks who have nothing but time and money on their hands. This seems much better then the usual hey we have an event in 4 days for $3k.

This would be my first bash. I look forward to anything that encourages a fun family friendly event where folks can just hang out with Shelby brothers and sisters. Car show and bbq.

A cruise poker run or bull run would be cool. Best part of all car shows seems to be the cruise.

Drag race is cool. no contact twisties is cool but auto cross not just a circle.

The return of the Terlingua !!!!

?

A track event that involves current Shelby owners getting to drive new Shelby offerings. It would be fun and it may help Shelby sell more cars. Or at least Shelby staff taking members out for a spin in the new cars.

Edited by 07shelbygt/sc1904