TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Racing 09 GT500 KR .... Anyone?

Bit_Surfer

Anyone here road raced their KR ?

If so...

What wheel and tire did you use?

Are their nanny controls on this car that help?

-Paul

P.S. Sorry if I seem like a dummy but this is not my car, it is my wife's car and I don't drive it. She wants to take it to a place in Austin called Driveway Austin. It is a short track set up for instruction. It is great for beginners, took one of my cars there. Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.drivewayaustin.com/

post-26394-0-33591800-1442506839_thumb.jpg

The KR wheels are very heavy which will hinder the handling and the Goodyears require a decent amount of heat before they really start to perform, but for your 1st time on a track it's not recommend to add/change any performance items to the car. It is highly unlikely either of you will out drive the KR's capabilities as it is. Ford and Shelby did and excellent job with the KR. As for the traction control, the instructor will likely direct you to turn it off as it will likely interfere more than it helps, however, doing so is your call. My 1st time on a track I left it on. With my inexperience early on, I didn't know enough to feel much of a difference.

Best thing you can do to prepare is simple make sure everything is in good working order, no leaks, a full tank of gas, tire pressures are equal, and fluids are fresh and full. Remove all items currently stored in the KR's floorboards, seats, and trunk that are not tied down. This includes floor mats and cell phones. If a cell phone must be in the car it should be in the center console. Clean the KR, specifically the windshield, steering wheel, shifter, floorboard and pedals. Lastly, have a certified helmet, and not a motorcycle helmet.

And the most important thing is to relax and have fun.

Edited by EL SHELBY

Yup, been there, drove that...

I got rid of the stagger and went 275/40-18's on all 4 corners,(which you can see in the second pic) I also run stock GT500 wheels now instead of the Alcoas.

Watts Link in the rear, which greatly improved the trackability

MU0X4224.jpg

GBM50663_zps88a2de89.jpg

KR_Corkscrew_zpse2c7d8ae.jpg

MU0X1044.jpg

Edited by Cali_KR

Great photos Kali KR!! For what you're doing I would just stay with the stock set up and have fun. Just don't do anything to damage the stock Alcoa's.

While 3 of the 4 pix show the Alcoas, I'm running SVT (GT500) wheels now....but do have a second set of KR alcoas just in case...

• 7 months later...

It's been a while.. Thank you all for your responses. Wife couldn't bring herself to RR the KR. So for now the KR is relegated to touring and I am OK with that. In the meantime, we did purchase a GT350 and are making plans for her to do her first school soon. Thanks again for the replies.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while.. Thank you all for your responses. Wife couldn't bring herself to RR the KR. So for now the KR is relegated to touring and I am OK with that. In the meantime, we did purchase a GT350 and are making plans for her to do her first school soon. Thanks again for the replies.

The 350 is more of a purpose built track car, and (even though I'm a hard core KR addict), the 350 will run circles around the KR. They are completely different animals

My goal is to add a 350 to the toy box as well. (Magnetic grey, white stripe track pack please )

Edited by Cali_KR

Why do people insist on acting like Mustangs are Porsches?

^^^Why not?, I believe a Porsche is shown "as passed" in the first picture in the link below, and by the time it was all said and done, the front runner ZR-1 was flagged to "move over" and let the faster Mustang pass...........

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/41813-super-snake-passes-them-all-at-buttomwillow/

^^^Thankfully the Mustang in the link above was acting/performing like the Mustang that it is (and not a Porsche), or it would have found its place somewhere back in the field with the lesser performing cars, instead of eventually overtaking the field.

R

Edited by Robert M

The original post he had a point about the wheels. My 08 GT/SC is set up to run and car came with the Razor wheels as did some GT500's and luck for us is someone else found out the hard way that the Razors are too soft to use as RR wheel because they can bend easily. The next time i run my GT/SC on track i will use a different wheel and keep my chrome Razors for the car shows and cruising. Bad luck for me is i haven't been able to race the car in the last 2 years due to severe nerve injury in my arm but come 2017 i will have it back out there as its the best handling Shelby i own by far.

Deciding what wheels/tires to use if RR a lot is key to making the car grip even better