TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front Splitter

So I built a front splitter last weekend out of ABS plastic after first making a prototype out of plywood. I decided to take it out to Mexico for a few 150-160 bursts and it holds up really well. The car is smooth as silk. A couple things I'm worried about though.

#1 A while back I cut out all the plastic in the front grill to give it some more air due to overheating issues on track. Now with all the air getting up in there, the hood floats around really bad starting about 140mph. I have the stops on the front adjusted right, but I just don't know what to do about this if anything.

#2 I think I may need a rear wing on track to compensate and balance the car out in the rear for the extra down down force.

Anyway, here it is. It may come off for the street as it's only 3" of clearance. I hope some road kill doesn't turn up unexpectedly but if it does, I reckon I'll see how tough it really is lol.

WP_20150905_006.jpgWP_20150905_003.jpg

Looks good! Vent the hood? I remember the dude with the blue one did it years back and turned out nice... I don't love the look but if the hood is lifting....

Thanks. I think if I get it vented that I wold probably just go ahead and get the Tiger racing hood. It's amazing how one thing always seems to lead to another on this car lol.

I did the same thing with my KR. I wanted to protect the CF splitter and provide a different look. I ran this setup last fall at VIR with no issues. This also doubles as my license plate holder. In VA, I need a front plate. It takes me 5 minutes to take off as well. The actual splitter came off Kurt Busch's 41 Talladega car. I bought it at Stewart Haas and modified the part to fit my factory holes. The material is super strong and dense. I see why they use it on NASCAR's.

splitter6-7-14c.jpglicenseplate.jpg

I did the same thing with my KR. I wanted to protect the CF splitter and provide a different look. I ran this setup last fall at VIR with no issues. This also doubles as my license plate holder. In VA, I need a front plate. It takes me 5 minutes to take off as well. The actual splitter came off Kurt Busch's 41 Talladega car. I bought it at Stewart Haas.

attachicon.gifsplitter6-7-14c.jpgattachicon.giflicenseplate.jpg

Now, that looks real good. I likey....

So I built a front splitter last weekend out of ABS plastic after first making a prototype out of plywood. I decided to take it out to Mexico for a few 150-160 bursts and it holds up really well. The car is smooth as silk. A couple things I'm worried about though.

#1 A while back I cut out all the plastic in the front grill to give it some more air due to overheating issues on track. Now with all the air getting up in there, the hood floats around really bad starting about 140mph. I have the stops on the front adjusted right, but I just don't know what to do about this if anything.

#2 I think I may need a rear wing on track to compensate and balance the car out in the rear for the extra down down force.

Anyway, here it is. It may come off for the street as it's only 3" of clearance. I hope some road kill doesn't turn up unexpectedly but if it does, I reckon I'll see how tough it really is lol.

attachicon.gifWP_20150905_006.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20150905_003.jpg

I like that you went and did you're own front splitter - it took some work for me to adapt the APR Racing carbon fiber splitter on my SGT. As far as the hood flutter goes - we had the same issues on both of the SGT-Race model cars (which run the TR hood) and found that the only way to stop it was to place an air blocker between the bottom of the hood to the top of front edge of the grille (not back by the radiator). JMO here - go with the KR rear spoiler - it will get you more than a rear wing unless you go big $$$ and then the side plates mean more than the wing angle does. I'll be more than happy to sell you a Steeda rear competition wing that I have pulled off of a car (white w/silver stripes and billet aluminum side plates). There is a lot of air turbulence under the rear of the S197 as with any solid rear axle cars and that should be addressed like you did with the splitter up front.

I like that you went and did you're own front splitter - it took some work for me to adapt the APR Racing carbon fiber splitter on my SGT. As far as the hood flutter goes - we had the same issues on both of the SGT-Race model cars (which run the TR hood) and found that the only way to stop it was to place an air blocker between the bottom of the hood to the top of front edge of the grille (not back by the radiator). JMO here - go with the KR rear spoiler - it will get you more than a rear wing unless you go big $$$ and then the side plates mean more than the wing angle does. I'll be more than happy to sell you a Steeda rear competition wing that I have pulled off of a car (white w/silver stripes and billet aluminum side plates). There is a lot of air turbulence under the rear of the S197 as with any solid rear axle cars and that should be addressed like you did with the splitter up front.

Do you think the air blocker under the hood would work on the stock hood too ? You wouldn't happen to have a pic of your air blocker would you ?

Thank you all for the advice. Those are all some great ideas.

Do you think the air blocker under the hood would work on the stock hood too ? You wouldn't happen to have a pic of your air blocker would you ?

Thank you all for the advice. Those are all some great ideas.

Yes it works on the stock hood as well. I'll try to get a pic or 2 posted up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I gotta report back on this splitter after driving around with it for a few weeks. It's coming off for the street because it's warping in the heat much like our famous hood scoop. It's still very stout and does what it's intended to do, but just looks like crap now. If I can pick up some cheap carbon fiber, I'll use my current template and cut out a new one.

Archived