TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Made Me Do It

39Mustang

We all knew for awhile Ford was building the next GT350 and when the details of the car came out like 5.2 flat-plane crank, the magne-ride suspension, the wheels and brakes I got excited for what maybe a few days until I learned Ford would only offer it with the 6spd Manual tranny. I like many others were disappointed as for my next car I was looking for something that had a lot of technology in the engine, suspension, tranny, etc ... but I want the Automatic tranny and so I been looking at some luxury cars even though I really have no use for a 4-door car until I read the specs on the new GT350 and was like damn Ford is really stepping up the Mustang big time but no Automatic so that large wind puff was me saying f*** this

I have been considering the one AMG Mercedes for a year due to the Benz having AWD and is why I don't consider the M5 or M6 because BMW is losing sales to Mercedes and Audi from having no AWD. I was considering the new 2015 Shelby GT but not sure that is what I'm after then when Gary P. told me the new Super Snake would be optional with an Automatic that perked up my ears but again I'm looking for something different and more advanced. The other day I watched the new video on the 2016 Cadillac CTS-V and damn that is a bad ass hot rod 4-door that will kick the crap out of most sports cars! This Caddy is just loaded with goodies and the more I read the options the more I didn't care about it not having AWD. Inside and outside the CTS-V has top of the line technology everywhere and considering I've never owned a luxury car before this one has jumped to first in line

I have never owned a GM product in my life and never planned to but since Ford is not up-to-date in modern times by offering an Automatic in the GT350 it appears Ford is making me join the Dark Side of the Force.

Cadillac CTS-V, 640hp, 8spd automatic, Recaro seats, reconfigurable instrument cluster, magnetic ride control suspension, massive Brembo brakes, custom exhaust system, carbon fiber aero package, performance data recorder very cool... what else do you need! Only 2 things I don't like are the color choices for this car as what 3 of the 6 colors are dark and dull. GM has this great Blue available on the trucks and would look killer on this car. Other thing is when you're selling a car in this price range I think you can do better than a Bose sound system as the other cars in this class have a Bang & Olufsen system and a Mark Levinson system which Bose is nowhere near the same quality.

I have a couple months to decide but its Ford's fault if I have a Corvette powered Cadillac in my garage

Ford definitely needs to add the automatic. I'll also pass on the manual transmission GT350.

Alot of people wanted a GT500 with auto but they never did that either and sold all they could make.

The Cadillac is really an awesome car. A friend of mine had a Challenger and bought the CTS to replace it. It is a Corvette with 4 doors. Bondurant uses them as instructor cars. They go around the track with 4 people in it and it'll snap your neck. Handling is a little softer than the corvettes but still pretty awesome for a 4 door boat.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, SVT (now FPG) has NEVER produced a Mustang based COBRA/SHELBY with an automatic transmission in 20+ years.

So why start now? Its not like they're loosing out on sales...... I'm pretty sure every one ever built had been sold.

I would be disappointed in Ford if they had offered an automatic. It defeats the purpose of a GT350 in my personal opinion, which only matters to me and the dog.

If looking for a Boulevard cruiser then the Caddie is the perfect car. I wish I could afford both. I also wouldn't turn down a new Impala SS. Talk about the perfect sleeper.

Ah

I would be disappointed in Ford if they had offered an automatic. It defeats the purpose of a GT350 in my personal opinion, which only matters to me and the dog.

If looking for a Boulevard cruiser then the Caddie is the perfect car. I wish I could afford both. I also wouldn't turn down a new Impala SS. Talk about the perfect sleeper.

Ah come on. There were 196x automatic GT500s. There were 200x automatic Shelby GTs. Except for a handful (well, maybe 2 hands and 2 feets worth) of manual 200x GT-Hs they were all autos I don't think there were any manual 196x hertz cars (but someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

I drag raced my automatic SGT/SC convertible. It did so well that they made me get a helmet and fire suit. The new generation of automatic shifted just where I would have shifted a manual, but did it lots faster.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, SVT (now FPG) has NEVER produced a Mustang based COBRA/SHELBY with an automatic transmission in 20+ years.

So why start now? Its not like they're loosing out on sales...... I'm pretty sure every one ever built had been sold.

Not much logic in that statement at all. Excluding the current models of cars on dealer lots, not only SVT Mustangs, but every car ever made has been sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This reply is for you 2 smartasses about oh the GT350 shouldn't have an automatic as Ford never made one in the past... umm, Shelby American as I recall has offered automatics going back to the 60's! This is almost 2016 not 1993 or 2004 or 2007 the excuse Ford used about the automatic cannot handle the horsepower is pure bullshit! Call Frank at Power by the Hour in Boynton Beach FL and ask him how many GT500 owners have had them swap out the 6spd manuals for automatics! FACT is the current automatic can easily withstand 1,000hp and frankly can shift better than you can dream of! The Corvette, Camaro, Cadillac, Hellcat Challenger, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, and so on ALL their top performance cars are ALL standard with AUTOMATICS!

Ford just needs to offer the car with both so people have the option. I had a guy call me the other day about my 2013 GT350 Conv. For Sale and his reason was simple 'I'm too damn old to shift I just want to drive it'

I've waited since 1993 when Ford first offered the Cobra Mustang to get one of these Mustangs with an automatic and over 20 years later they still don't so I am one glad for Saleen and Shelby American because they do!

Looks like an awesome ride

Yes, I watched both of these and I'm basically sold. I never had a luxury car so if I'm going to get a 4-door then it better be a hot rod

I have to admit though the Audi S7 is a bad ass car but its ugly compared to the others

Ah

Ah come on. There were 196x automatic GT500s. There were 200x automatic Shelby GTs. Except for a handful (well, maybe 2 hands and 2 feets worth) of manual 200x GT-Hs they were all autos I don't think there were any manual 196x hertz cars (but someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

I drag raced my automatic SGT/SC convertible. It did so well that they made me get a helmet and fire suit. The new generation of automatic shifted just where I would have shifted a manual, but did it lots faster.

The whole point of the GT350 is for track racing, not drag racing. Nobody orders an automatic track car. The OP really wants an automatic boulevard cruiser, not a track ready car. Why would Ford go through setting up a car for just a handful of people who want the automatic? There's the Mustang GT for that or even a Super Snake or SGT. I don't understand all the whining going on here.

I can understand the lack of auto in the GT350, it is track focused although I think it would be a great street car with an auto. I would like to see Ford offer an auto in their Shelby lineup, especially a GT500, not as the only option - still make the 6sp standard but offer an OPTIONAL auto trans. If you still want a 6sp, you can get it. I don't know why people are against another option, it doesn't hurt to have more choices - look at all the people who complain they can't have the OPTION of both the Tech & Track on the GT350.

Camaro & Challenger buyers have the Auto option and I don't see people complaining that they should be manual only - just make your choice and enjoy!

I can understand the lack of auto in the GT350, it is track focused although I think it would be a great street car with an auto. I would like to see Ford offer an auto in their Shelby lineup, especially a GT500, not as the only option - still make the 6sp standard but offer an OPTIONAL auto trans. If you still want a 6sp, you can get it. I don't know why people are against another option, it doesn't hurt to have more choices - look at all the people who complain they can't have the OPTION of both the Tech & Track on the GT350.

Camaro & Challenger buyers have the Auto option and I don't see people complaining that they should be manual only - just make your choice and enjoy!

The Challenger doesn't have a track car and they are not competitive.

The Camaro Z/28 track car is not available with an automatic.

Edit: Dodge's track car, the Viper, also isn't available with an auto. Getting the picture yet?

Anybody else?

Ah

What can I say, both the dog and I prefer to row while we drive. Nothing against autos, but an auto GT350 doesn't interest me unless it's my 2nd GT350 and while I'm dreaming only when my Shelby Daytona is being waxed.

Can't get a Lamborghini without an auto anymore! Other exotics, Ferrari, Maserati , etc. are following the F1 paddle shifter auto system as they shift faster than a stick any day and are more reliable on road coarse. While I prefer a stick, I wouldn't mind a auto in a high HP performance Ford added to the garage.

Can't get a Lamborghini without an auto anymore! Other exotics, Ferrari, Maserati , etc. are following the F1 paddle shifter auto system as they shift faster than a stick any day and are more reliable on road coarse. While I prefer a stick, I wouldn't mind a auto in a high HP performance Ford added to the garage.

I'm not sure that I would call an electronically shifted manual transmission an automatic, but yes, they shift very quickly. It costs a lot of money to play that game. The technology is getting better and cheaper, so I expect that we will see more of that in regular muscle and sports cars in the future.

+1, my new 911 Turbo S

http://sportscarstandings.com/Top-10-Fastest-Cars/2015/2015-Porsche-911-Turbo-S-4772

only comes with the doppleganger (or something like that) automatic 7 speed, as do most all top sports cars these days. BTW, I don't see the Fiesta or Ford GT350 in that Top 10 Fastest cars list…….. :hysterical:

The Ford GT will only come with the quick shift AUTO. Why not the Shelby GT 350 ? On a race track every shift is quicker with the auto trans . One lap requires how many shifts ? Do the math.

The last car I owned was a Shelby GT -H with the auto trans and yes it was total boredom. But the new autos trans on the market are nothing like the Hertz Shelby. They rev match on downshifts and will hold a gear in the corners. They are fun to drive on a track and easy in stop and go traffic.

This is not the 60's we live in and have a open mind about the new auto trans on the market today.

Archived