TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are The New Gt350S Shelbys Or Just Fords?

Coljimm

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait… so it is a Shelby and it isn’t a Shelby at the same time? ;)

It made it on the Wikipedia “Shelby Mustang” page… so that must count for something, even if it’s lacking a few Shelby badges, ha.

I am concerned that the new GT350 I just ordered is not an actual Shelby. The only place the name "Shelby" appears is on the front spoiler and it is nearly invisible. I am still excited about the new motor but is this just a hotted up Ford?

If a company owns the rights to a name and sticks that name on their product, that's what it is.

You have to remember the Carroll Hall Shelby Trust has the rights to the GT350 names in most every category through the trademark office. Ford is not going to pay to have that name or others all over the car every time they use it, it would cost too much.

http://www.trademarkia.com/gt350-86135149.html

I am concerned that the new GT350 I just ordered is not an actual Shelby. The only place the name "Shelby" appears is on the front spoiler and it is nearly invisible. I am still excited about the new motor but is this just a hotted up Ford?

If you are that concerned about it, cancel the order.

Wow you people are angry! That is really pathetic and one of the worst is the woman. I came to your club and forum voicing a clearly legitimate question and concern, one I would have answered in fellowship. I was hoping for mutual respect. Guess I'm on the wrong site. Next time I'm going straight to the horse's mount, rather than the horse's . . . Well here's where you can start in on me with some more of your love. GOOD BYE angry people.

If you were to have read the forum before posting you would have seen that this question has been asked before, and so often that for a while it was spawning a new topic a month and sometimes a week. It has been asked for every flavor of Shelby branded ford since the GT500 started in 2007. So the topic is nothing new to the long time members here, and rehashing old business gets old. If you look at the old topics, you'll see that there was no new content generated here.

New members in forums need to do two things:

1. Read everything. In an older established forum you can bet with high confidence the question you're asking or the subject matter you are introducing has been discussed before.

2. Remember that SEARCH can be your friend.

Whatever, don't take the frustrations personally.

Guest markham51

Wow you people are angry! That is really pathetic and one of the worst is the woman. I came to your club and forum voicing a clearly legitimate question and concern, one I would have answered in fellowship. I was hoping for mutual respect. Guess I'm on the wrong site. Next time I'm going straight to the horse's mount, rather than the horse's . . . Well here's where you can start in on me with some more of your love. GOOD BYE angry people.

Stick around dude...we need new blood too. It's a sensitive topic thats been done to death is all... :play:

Welcome... :love_shower:

Don't let one or two people ruin anything for you ... if your Shelby was built in the spirit of the great man then who cares what anyone else thinks ... Drive it, Love it, and be a proud Shelby owner.

You have to remember the Carroll Hall Shelby Trust has the rights to the GT350 names in most every category through the trademark office. Ford is not going to pay to have that name or others all over the car every time they use it, it would cost too much.

http://www.trademarkia.com/gt350-86135149.html

Maybe I missed it in the extensive fine print, but does the trademark cover use as a vehicle model name?

At least you got some responses. When I post I just get ignored !

I came to your club and forum voicing a clearly legitimate question and concern, one I would have answered in fellowship. I was hoping for mutual respect. Guess I'm on the wrong site. Next time I'm going straight to the horse's mount, rather than the horse's . . . Well here's where you can start in on me with some more of your love. GOOD BYE angry people.

No one is angry. I think most thought you were probably joking a little. If it's super serious and a legitimate concern then...

Yes it's a hotted up Ford by definition and yes it's a Shelby.

It's also true that you can upgrade the Shelby lettering/decals to your heart's content.

24ev0y1.jpg

Modern "Shelby's"

07 GT500 - SVT, Ford, Shelby

07 Shelby GTH/GT/KR(Pre-title/Registry eligible) - Ford, Shelby

2011 GT350 - Ford, Shelby(Post title/Registry eligible)

2016 GT350 - Ford, Ford Performance Division, Shelby

Maybe I missed it in the extensive fine print, but does the trademark cover use as a vehicle model name?

Al, that is the only thing it does not cover as I read it. So Ford can us "GT350" on the model name, but any parts, badges, etc. with "GT350" they are paying royalties to CHS Trust. Who knows how much they paid to use "GT350" as the model name, or "Shelby" names, I'm sure we will never know those details

Al, that is the only thing it does not cover as I read it. So Ford can us "GT350" on the model name, but any parts, badges, etc. with "GT350" they are paying royalties to CHS Trust. Who knows how much they paid to use "GT350" as the model name, or "Shelby" names, I'm sure we will never know those details

So theoretically the Shelby name does not have to be on the car i.e. a possible GT500 without Shelby anywhere on it. Sorry to change gears here, but this addresses a point of clarification I was getting at in the V6 GT500 thread.

Carroll Shelby Licensing:

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/?topic=aboutus&art=21493

which states:

CARROLL SHELBY LICENSING

Automotive manufacturer and entrepreneur Carroll Shelby was one of the most famous and successful high performance visionaries in the world. His arrival on the race scene, first as a driver and then as a manufacturer of high-performance vehicles for both track and street, quickly redefined performance.

Shelby was also a pioneer for modern automotive licensing programs; beginning in the 1960s, he began licensing his name and designs for various products. His influence was so considerable that even competitors often wore clothing featuring Shelby trademarks. The brand united a wide range of enthusiasts who held Shelby in undeniable admiration and esteem.

He founded Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc. in 1988, which is the exclusive holder of trademarks and vehicle design rights for some of the most recognized muscle cars and high-performance vehicles produced. Today, Carroll Shelby Licensing product lines include cars, car parts, component vehicles, aftermarket styling and performance parts, toys and hobby products, collectibles and memorabilia, computer and electronic games, graphics and art, film and entertainment properties, branded apparel and accessories.

CSL has over 150 licensees throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia and a staff dedicated to cultivating additional licensing partners and programs that continue to reach new heights in supporting the timeless brand they represent.

CSL has over 150 licensees throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia and a staff dedicated to cultivating additional licensing partners and programs that continue to reach new heights in supporting the timeless brand they represent.

I think I would add: And an army of trial lawyers ready to sue the pants off anyone, including Ford, who tries to not pay for the rights to the names and is silly enough to try and use them…….. :)

I think I would add: And an army of trial lawyers ready to sue the pants off anyone, including Ford, who tries to not pay for the rights to the names and is silly enough to try and use them…….. :)

What I meant is that Ford could pay the Shelby Trust for the use of the GT500 name only on a car, but not be required to place the name "Shelby" on the car also.

Archived