TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Future Shelby Gt Value...

DaveWms

Hello, new member here.

Having previously restored two first gen Mustangs, I've decided this time I want to get a later model that will hold it's value, but I can drive and have it modern everything, but still be affordable.

I'm interested in 2007/2008 Shelby GTs. It seems they are going from upper teens to mid $20Ks with a few $30K+ ringers thrown in.

I know there're low production, but what do you, that are familiar with the Shelbys, forsee as far as them holding there value, and/or appreciating.

Have they hit bottom yet? Is it a good time to buy. With retirement looming, this will probably be my last 'collector' car, and I'll be in to it for the long haul, and I can't afford a GT500.

Would this be a good choice? What would you choose if in my position?

Thanks.

Hello, new member here.

Having previously restored two first gen Mustangs, I've decided this time I want to get a later model that will hold it's value, but I can drive and have it modern everything, but still be affordable.

I'm interested in 2007/2008 Shelby GTs. It seems they are going from upper teens to mid $20Ks with a few $30K+ ringers thrown in.

I know there're low production, but what do you, that are familiar with the Shelbys, forsee as far as them holding there value, and/or appreciating.

Have they hit bottom yet? Is it a good time to buy. With retirement looming, this will probably be my last 'collector' car, and I'll be in to it for the long haul, and I can't afford a GT500.

Would this be a good choice? What would you choose if in my position?

Thanks.

Personally I think grabbing a Shelby GT now and holding it is a good idea. Other good ones are the most recent Mach 1, Bullet and Terminators.

+1

There is no sure bet on future value. Buy it because you like the looks, performance and heritage. Too many limited production cars, from Mustang pace cars and R models, anniversary editions, Corvette Z models, early Vipers, etc. have had values go up and down with lower value overall in terms of current dollars. After you buy the car of your choice, take it out and enjoy it. That is the best value in the car, driving it.

Agreed. If you consider all costs (insurance, maintenance...) most cars will not make you rich.

But if you want to drive a great car that does not loose too much value, the Shelby GT is a great choice. If you can afford it and don't have problems driving an automatic gearbox car, the GT-H is a better choice in my opinion as the production numbers were far more limited.

Independently of your preference, the current GT and GT-H prices are probably as low as they ever will be.

Car as an investment isn't a goid choice!

Car to drive for smiles per gallon, Shelby GT is priceless!

I agree, I do think the Shelby GT has slowed drastically from a depreciation stand-point. The problem is many still do not even know what it is, use this to your advantage to get one for a solid price.

Good luck, I love mine enough that I just sold my 911 and kept my Shelby as my Toy.

Yes I agree with all the above. One thing is for sure though the NorCal edition SGT and the SoCal edition SGT are the least known about and the production #'s are very low. After all, all these SGT are the best everyday driver and track ready.

Agreed. If you consider all costs (insurance, maintenance...) most cars will not make you rich.

But if you want to drive a great car that does not loose too much value, the Shelby GT is a great choice. If you can afford it and don't have problems driving an automatic gearbox car, the GT-H is a better choice in my opinion as the production numbers were far more limited.

Independently of your preference, the current GT and GT-H prices are probably as low as they ever will be.

You're right, I forgot to mention the GT-H.

I always felt that because these cars are pre title autos (like the '60's GT 350)they would be very desirable some day. Maybe there isn't much awareness of this, or it really isn't significant.

Regardless, the car drives great, sounds great, and looks great.

Car as an investment isn't a goid choice!

Car to drive for smiles per gallon, Shelby GT is priceless!

What he said... Automobiles are a depreciating asset. It's not a matter of if but how much and how fast (over time). As was alluded the depreciation rate of the general class of 2007-ish Mustangs has started to slow. But it is unlikely that it will stop or that the cars will appreciate (any time within your lifetime). So buy the car because you love it and want to drive it. But don't buy it thinking that it will contribute significantly to to your retirement plan, especially after you add in the ownership expenses of taxes and insurance and operating expenses of gas (and mileage driven depreciation). If you're looking for an investment buy real estate or stocks.

I always felt that because these cars are pre title autos (like the '60's GT 350)they would be very desirable some day. Maybe there isn't much awareness of this, or it really isn't significant.

Regardless, the car drives great, sounds great, and looks great.

I've had this discussion with a lot of people. The issue is that while some select Mustangs of the modern era (be they Shelbys or otherwise) may someday be worth more than what was paid for them, it won't be in the lifetime of the current owners (and I'll go so far as to say that a car driven by a 20 year old won't either. And I don't know of very many "in the wrapper" Shelby GTs locked in climate controlled rooms with delivery miles). And again, you always have to factor into the future value the ongoing costs of just keeping it - insurance, etc.

And don't be tempted to use the Ford GT as an example. It's a singular fluke. I predict that the next one won't share the attribute.

It might take a little patience and fortitude to find a Shelby Mustang GT or GT-H that hasn't been "personalized". If you want to do that yourself, good luck.

Someone out there has your car. After you look at a few Shelby Mustang GTs, you may discover it's not one of them.

For my part, if I had a choice of cars to fill my spare time and make me feel real good, I'd go for that GT500 KR. It's so good you don't have to maltreat it to be fast and content.

Depending on where you are (Other? WTF is that?) a convertible might just be icing on the cake.

Yes I agree with all the above. One thing is for sure though the NorCal edition SGT and the SoCal edition SGT are the least known about and the production #'s are very low. After all, all these SGT are the best everyday driver and track ready.

Please elaborate on the NorCal vs. SoCal edition. I was aware of the Grabber Orange SGT but I didn't know there was a N vs. S difference.

If I was buying a SGT, I would look hard at the California edition. I like the color and lower numbers. Irregardless of the SGT year, I would be very tempted to ship it back to Las Vegas and turn it into a SGT-SC. Did I get that correct? In other words, a Supercharged version direct from Shelby. Think of a Paxton GT350.

Tom

Please elaborate on the NorCal vs. SoCal edition. I was aware of the Grabber Orange SGT but I didn't know there was a N vs. S difference.

If I was buying a SGT, I would look hard at the California edition. I like the color and lower numbers. Irregardless of the SGT year, I would be very tempted to ship it back to Las Vegas and turn it into a SGT-SC. Did I get that correct? In other words, a Supercharged version direct from Shelby. Think of a Paxton GT350.

Tom

The gt/sc makes it a totally different car. There were two ways to an end in the 2007 08 time frame. Start with a gt500 and add suspension and handling parts or with a Shelby gt and add the supercharger. The gt already had the suspension. My feeling was the gt with the sc was the best driving car. The difference was the sgt was at the end of its potential for power with its 3v 4.6 and the gt500 was just starting. Edited by twobjshelbys

Tom

Tom, NorCal version was for 2007 , white and black only 202 made. SoCal, is talking about the Grabber Orange version, 215 made. Also, let's not forget about the 100 Barrett Jackson editions.

Tom, NorCal version was for 2007 , white and black only 202 made. SoCal, is talking about the Grabber Orange version, 215 made. Also, let's not forget about the 100 Barrett Jackson editions.

The NorCal version, what was different from the regular Shelby GT's?

My two cents: If you buy a SGT now for an investment, it will pay off for your kids/grandkids, not you! Let's use the original 60's GT350 as an example - it's taken it 40+ years to appreciate to the values we're seeing today, and there were fewer of them made!

Don't get me wrong, you will see "one of one" or similar types going for the higher dollar, but as a general rule of thumb, I really doubt we'll see any decent return on our money in the near future!

Buy it and drive it is my rule - can't enjoy it when you're dead!

Sam

There is a White SGT in my area that a guy is selling for just $18K with about 36K Miles. Only thing is he put Blue Lemans Stripes on it. Not sure if he removed the Silver ones first though.

Edited by tesgt350

The gt/sc makes it a totally different car. There were two ways to an end in the 2007 08 time frame. Start with a gt500 and add suspension and handling parts or with a Shelby gt and add the supercharger. The gt already had the suspension. My feeling was the gt with the sc was the best driving car. The difference was the sgt was at the end of its potential for power with its 3v 4.6 and the gt500 was just starting.

Don't forget about needing to upgrade the SGTs brakes to Brembos in front and add the GT500 brake booster to match all together. Also, even though the SGT would be at the top of its power potential, it would remain an extremely balanced car especially for track duty.

Andy.

Don't forget about needing to upgrade the SGTs brakes to Brembos in front and add the GT500 brake booster to match all together. Also, even though the SGT would be at the top of its power potential, it would remain an extremely balanced car especially for track duty.

Andy.

What's up there Andy?! When are you headed back to the island?

I just got the Ford Racing 6-piston Bembo kit, M-2300-T, and although a bit tricky with the rear brake install, (requires draining the diff and stuff), it doesn't require an upgrade to the booster. I believe this kit is essentially a GT500 take off, but there may be some minor differences.

Sam

Hey Sam!

I might be heading down over Memorial Day!

Albino500 (Kevin) told me that the booster is not necessary but in order to keep to pedal feel equal before and after, then you will want to upgrade the brake booster...about $190 if memory serves me correctly from Late Model Restoration. If you keep stock then you will hav to apply good bit more pressure to the pedal.

Andy.

Tesgt350, the NorCal version, 202, I think 66 were black, rest white. Only for 2007 year. They had door seal plates that said California Edition. (Grabber orange say sgt-c), and they came with the gauge pod installed from shelby. Not sure what else it had, someone else would have to comment on that.

Sam....is the M- 2300 kit a 4 piston or 6 piston?

I thought it was 4 piston and stock Mustang was 2 piston.

Andy

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Andy, it's a 6 piston and I understand now what you are saying, I thought it was one of those "it won't work" things, but a stiffer pedal is fine by me, so I'll stick with the stock booster for now!

Sam