TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4.6L 3V Oil Brand Preference/experiences /opinions Wanted

Hey guys,

So i am wanting to order some oil for my road trip back to Cali soon and have been debating which brand. I usually run Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 in her. My buddy who runs a ZO6 says that is a group 3 oil and that Redline or AMSOIL is better and he says Redline is easy to buy without a membership unlike Amsoil. So my question is this, What is the best brand to use for everyday driving/occasional spirited driving via Autocross? i want the best protection possible regardless of the cars use. Has anyone tore about their motors that is loyal to one of these brands? i want to combat sludge. F.Y.I dispite running extended performance oils i always change my oil at or before 3000 miles. Should i just stick with Mobil 1 EP? Anyone vouch for Redline in these cars or should i go through the hassle of obtaining a membership for Amsoil? Thanks.

Albino - Have you ever tore apart the block after using Amsoil? Is it really as good as they say?

I guess Mobil 1 EP is easily obtainable at walmart.

Pulled the valve covers and swapped out the oil pan with 17,000+ miles and the thing looks like new on 07SGT2425.

NO signs of ANY sludge - not even a hint!

We're using the SPP 8 quart oil pan now and have always used the FRPP racing oil filter.

07SGT4755 has 85,000+ miles and still runs strong but we haven't pulled the valve covers and/or changed the oil pan yet - but still has 205 PSI in ALL 8 cylinders - these 4.6 3V motors are awesome!

The best oil is clean oil.

I run two remarkably different 4.6L-3V engines, one blower car, the other N/A. Both see quite a bit of DD abuse off the track as well. From day 1 of ownership, I follow very strict rules I will not deviate from. Motorcraft, Pensoil, QST, the brand doesn't matter. 5W20. Bulk/house drain is fine too, when I know the house. Change every 2500 miles, with Motorcraft or Ford Racing filter. I have experienced engine failures, yes, but none related to oil, cooling, or lubrication issues.

Cost is as minimal as I can get it. I try to take advantage of sales and markdowns when possible. Group buy split among friends is very helpful with the cost of filters. Overall, the average is roughly 21.00 and 17.00 respectfully, per change, the difference due to capacity on one engine. I have followed this program on other engines, the 2003-04 Marauder 4.6L-4V, and a home brewed '93 turbo four slug. It has never disappointed me.

Your mention of "sludge" refreshes memories of my youth, when we would seek out the "grandpa" cars of that era. Back then, the technology was not as advanced, and pocketbooks likewise conservative, sludge was what we would dig out from the valley of a V-8 with our fingers, and solvents applied by the quart. Its not like that today. That kind of sludge seems a urban ledgend. Nonetheless, I keep in mind that engines today rely on the oil system to control operating temps and some oil passages are quite narrow. The smallest collection of debris and fouled oil can lead to catastrophe.

Only way to combat this is to flush the system as often as one finds reasonable. I cannot say why 2500 miles, just seems comfortable considering the miles I drive per month. Honestly, my drain seems so clear at times, I feel wasteful, but I consider it inexpensive insurance. BTW...Just before I plan a drain, maybe 500 miles before, I will add a pint of "SeaFoam" to the crankcase. I cannot say this is helpful in any way. I have no studies or statistics proving any "pro" or "con" but it feels like I am making some difference, so be it.

I have seen "oil discussions" go on forever, at times it has grown hostile. I'm not interested in all that, I am just expressing my preference. What ever works for you, is fine with me.

Y'all carry on, be safe.

Hey guys, So i am wanting to order some oil for my road trip back to Cali soon and have been debating which brand. I usually run Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 in her. My buddy who runs a ZO6 says that is a group 3 oil and that Redline or AMSOIL is better and he says Redline is easy to buy without a membership unlike Amsoil. So my question is this, What is the best brand to use for everyday driving/occasional spirited driving via Autocross? i want the best protection possible regardless of the cars use. Has anyone tore about their motors that is loyal to one of these brands? i want to combat sludge. F.Y.I dispite running extended performance oils i always change my oil at or before 3000 miles. Should i just stick with Mobil 1 EP? Anyone vouch for Redline in these cars or should i go through the hassle of obtaining a membership for Amsoil? Thanks.

Personally I think as long as your using an oil, any oil, that meets Ford's specs (from your owner's manual) you'll be fine.

Having said that, I currently have the same oil as you in my Shelby GT. I can't quite bring myself to put NAPA brand oil in it yet, even though I'm sure it's perfectly safe...just doesn't seem right! Next time I'll probably switch back to Ford oil, since I like to support the brand.

I'd have to agree with what I'm reading above! I use full synthetic oil, and like LuLu, I feel that regular oil and filter changes are the most important, with brand loyalty somewhat second especially if the oil meets manufacturer's specifications. I don't go to the 10-15K miles that synthetics are supposed to allow, but will instead change at or below 6K miles depending on conditions, i.e., time, track day, etc.

That being said, I've been a Mobil 1 user since 1990's, with filters running from Fram to Ford Racing, though with the SGT, it's been Motorcraft/Ford Racing filters since day one. I've only had one oil related issue, (on a 1999 Dodge Durango), but it wasn't the oil that was bad, it was the intake manifold/gasket that was allowing dirt to creep in and sludge the motor to the point of failure at 35K miles! (Engine replaced under warranty - saved all my receipts!)

Sam

thanks guys for the reply. I feel like i better stay with Mobil 1 EP for now since it is easy to get and for the most part i consider it to be very affordable. I have always ran ford racing filters in mine too since i the original owner told me that is all he used since he bought it new. For the life of me i wish i could remember what oil he used but i am not going to stress it anymore. I priced some Redline and for 6-7 quarts it would be almost 90 bucks on americanmuscle.com and i just can't justify it since i want to change the oil before and after the trip from Kansas back to San Diego after deployment here in June. I guess i will just hit up the local walmart or autozone for their top shelf special on M1..... lol!

I used regular Mobil 1 synthetic in my 02 mustang GT and it had 150,000 miles on it. Always loyal to treat that old, abused turd to regular/frequent oil changes and it ran strong and passed smog with flying colors. Never rebuilt but i bet that car still looked somewhat good inside given it's performance at that mileage.

I believe that even with dealer/factory-recommended change intervals, "sludge" is like the buggy-whip: mildly interesting history.

I believe also that any major-brand premium oil is as good as any other with respect to performing its designed functions in any measurable way. Immeasurable functions like supporting a paid-for engineer's fantasy or commercial commitment, or our own romantic connections to history and legend, cannot be supported by science, but can hold sway in any case. On one occasion my "free first oil change" dealer offered the best Castrol available. I jumped at it. I swear it generated some of the scent I remember from Castrol R days. Next time around, the dealer had reverted to FoMoCo-only. What a disappointment.

For all the oil changes in my Mustangs I have gone from blends to pure synthetic at the first opportunity. Little as I use these cars, that is almost invariably at the six-month mark, seldom as much as three thousand miles. I have never added a quart between such operations.

WRT "sludge", I have seen a lot of it, but in olden times. One of my compadres tells of a time he was the inheritor of a fifteen-year-old Oldsmobile. He and his friends jacked it up to drain the oil, and only one quart dripped out. They shrugged, closed the drain, and put a quart in from the top. The dipstick registered Full-plus-a-little. It seemed the previous owner had never, ever changed the oil, just added a little when it seemed to need it. The entire engine must have been lined with vintage sludge.

Walmart has many good oils to use. They also carry the royal purple brand so its easy to get. Brenspeed uses it on all their race cars so that is proof enough for me. I only change mine once a year with the Ford racing filter, as I only drive about 3,000 miles on each of the GTH.'s I have never had past sludge problems with regular oil changes regardless which oil I used.

Walmart has many good oils to use. They also carry the royal purple brand so its easy to get. Brenspeed uses it on all their race cars so that is proof enough for me. I only change mine once a year with the Ford racing filter, as I only drive about 3,000 miles on each of the GTH.'s I have never had past sludge problems with regular oil changes regardless which oil I used.

Wal Mart has started carrying the MOtorcraft Syn Blend 5W-30 in the jugs FINALLY. They have always carried the 5W-20 in 5 gallon jugs but I switched to the 30 back before I swapped engines so it was always a pain in the ass buying 6 quarts.

Also I have heard that Mobile 1 and Motorcraft Syn Blend are the same oil. Don't know if that is true.

I run Fram filters due to oil relocation kit and more oil capacity. I haven't had any issues.

Wal Mart has started carrying the MOtorcraft Syn Blend 5W-30 in the jugs FINALLY. They have always carried the 5W-20 in 5 gallon jugs but I switched to the 30 back before I swapped engines so it was always a pain in the ass buying 6 quarts.

Any idea if Wal Mart is cheaper than Auto Zone for the jug Motorcraft Syn oil?

Archived