TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question For Spp

I purchased the SGT brake duct kit with bezels, ducting, backing plates, etc. some time ago. I installed them on the SGT with the stock front brakes with no issues, other than the tight squeeze around the supercharger heat exhanger!

I'm now moving on to big brakes, specifically, the Brembo 6-piston, 15" rotor setup from Ford Racing, (FR part # M-2300-T), and I wanted to know if the backing plates that came with the SGT brake duct kit would work with those front brakes?

Thanks for replies!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sam,

Really would not expect issue with using the SGT plates with a bigger rotor. I have the SGT plates to still put on with having upgrade to GT500 4 pot Brembo calipers.

I had asked Jer about difference SGT to GT500 plates and difference was little in diameter and the adapter for attachment to the plate was different to handle bigger GT500 diameter hose.

Effectiveness may be a little less as I expect the air coming into the rotor to not being directly against as much of the brake plate. Still you are getting air into the corner to force that bad hot air out.

Good luck, interested on results. I have not done mine as I have not found free time to get use of hoist at my company to do the work. You obviously know from dealing with heat exchanger fit that it is not a thing easily done on jack stands.

Tom

2007_Shelby_GT,

You will need to modify the plate (slightly) to accommodate the caliper being larger than your factory GT unit. Although you wont have as much coverage on the 15" rotor, one of the more critical purposes of the kit is to cool the hub & bearing assembly (which, in turn, compounds the heat generated by the brakes). So the system will still be effective at speed. Please feel free to email me with further questions, keithc@shelby.com

Thanks for the replies!

Keith - I would have contacted you directly if it turned out to be a bigger issue, but this wasn't very critical, just "nice to know", hence my reason for posting here!

Sam

Sam,

You can reach out to me at any time for any reason. :) I'm not on here often but have been involved with Shelby product development since 2007. If I don't know the answer, I usually know the person that does and I hate to hold up anyone's personal projects. Hope the install went smooth for you!

There isn't much Keith DOESN'T know about the SPP program... he's an excellent resource, Shelby's lucky to have him.

Jer

• 2 months later...

Well the front 6-piston Brembo install went without a hitch - no need to modify anything, EXCEPT the brake lines! I already had stainless lines, but unfortunately, they won't fit the new Brembos! So, since I installed the new calipers with the rubber hoses that came with the kit, guess I'll be looking for new stainless lines!

Haven't gotten around to doing the rear brakes yet - that's a little more involved since you have to pull the pumpkin cover and manipulate the axle shafts, so I'll just stick with the stock brakes on the rear for now.

Before:

stock_zpsdpvfkhpt.jpg

After:

brembo_zpsd25v3tig.jpg

Sam

Well the front 6-piston Brembo install went without a hitch - no need to modify anything, EXCEPT the brake lines! I already had stainless lines, but unfortunately, they won't fit the new Brembos! So, since I installed the new calipers with the rubber hoses that came with the kit, guess I'll be looking for new stainless lines!

Haven't gotten around to doing the rear brakes yet - that's a little more involved since you have to pull the pumpkin cover and manipulate the axle shafts, so I'll just stick with the stock brakes on the rear for now.

Before:

stock_zpsdpvfkhpt.jpg

After:

brembo_zpsd25v3tig.jpg

Sam

Sam,

Not sure if you've seen this adapter or not, I was thinking of trying them myself. I got some of the rear brakes from the Shelby ebay auctions and wasn't sure if I wanted to give these a try.

I'm having my gears switched out next week from 4.10 to 3.73 and figured since it's all apart I might want as well have them install the new rear brake brackets and set up. I think the determining factor will be what the mech is gonna charge me to install the new rear brakes. If it's gonna be more than the bracket I might just try them.

I went with the new 4 piston set up brembo kit (M-2300-S) since I wasn't sure if the 6 piston 15" fronts would have worked with my 18" wheels. Installed them last week and love them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-14-Mustang-14-Rear-Brake-Rotor-Adapter-Brackets-GT-Boss-302-GT500-V6-13-8-/151759260600?hash=item23558e8bb8&vxp=mtr

Jeff

Sam,

Not sure if you've seen this adapter or not, I was thinking of trying them myself. I got some of the rear brakes from the Shelby ebay auctions and wasn't sure if I wanted to give these a try.

I'm having my gears switched out next week from 4.10 to 3.73 and figured since it's all apart I might want as well have them install the new rear brake brackets and set up. I think the determining factor will be what the mech is gonna charge me to install the new rear brakes. If it's gonna be more than the bracket I might just try them.

I went with the new 4 piston set up brembo kit (M-2300-S) since I wasn't sure if the fronts would have worked with my 18" wheels. Installed them last week and love them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-14-Mustang-14-Rear-Brake-Rotor-Adapter-Brackets-GT-Boss-302-GT500-V6-13-8-/151759260600?hash=item23558e8bb8&vxp=mtr

Jeff

Jeff,

Now those are neat - and the price is right, especially since you don't have to mess with the rear-end and axles!

I think I just might spring for a set just to get my rear brakes up and running quicker!

I seriously considered the front 4-piston setup, I think those would've worked with my old AM Bullitt wheels, but that 6-piston caliper and 15" rotor sure look good behind my new Boss wheels!

Sam

So the bracket just moves the stock caliper and you can run the bigger rotors?

Yes. Here is a pic of my rear with stock calipers, but the larger rotor I bought from SPP. It was real easy. Just used a nylon strap to hold caliper up and out of the way while bolting on. Obviously I didn't replace break lines etc. Mainly just looking for the improved appearance of the larger, slotted and drilled rotor.20150725_155225_resized_1-1.jpg

Jim,

I have the Baer rear rotors on the H. It is a very easy install. Just attach the bracket, relocate your stock caliper and you are good to go. I upgraded the rear lnes to J&M stainless lines and used Baer pads.

Ok, so that adapter is for the STOCK caliper, not for the Brembo rear caliper, if I'm reading this right!?

Sam

Sam, which brembo rear calipers are you talking about? If you bought the Brembo kit M-2300-T that came with front 6 piston fronts and gt500 rear upgraded calipers, then yes it will work, the calipers in that set are no different than the stock ones, they're just painted black now and come with bigger rotors and the mounting bracket. If your speaking of another brembo caliper altogether I couldn't say.

Jeff

Hi, do you guys have any pull off Alcola wheels that can be sold? I was away when you offered the last run of these wheels, and I have been Despertley seeking a set. Since my GI bill ran out, I have to pay the rest of my schooling. So can't afford the extortion prices people are asking for a used/ new set. If you all can keep me in mind if you get a set in, I would be apriciative. Even if I need to get them fixed at a wheel shop.

Thanks again

Mark

Sam, which brembo rear calipers are you talking about? If you bought the Brembo kit M-2300-T that came with front 6 piston fronts and gt500 rear upgraded calipers, then yes it will work, the calipers in that set are no different than the stock ones, they're just painted black now and come with bigger rotors and the mounting bracket. If your speaking of another brembo caliper altogether I couldn't say.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - those are indeed the ones I'm talking about!

Sam

Dear Shelby Performance Parts,

I ordered a backup dash plaque (a standard one, NOT a 40th anniversary one) at the very beginning of this year. We are now at the middle of August and I haven't received or heard anything -- 6 months later. I finally called twice last week and spoke to a live human being who never called me back (as promised). What-the-double-f**k is going on over there? I can't say I'm exceptionally pleased with giving you $100 for NOTHING!

Regards,

Long-time customer and brand advocate

Dear Shelby Performance Parts,

I ordered a backup dash plaque (a standard one, NOT a 40th anniversary one) at the very beginning of this year. We are now at the middle of August and I haven't received or heard anything -- 6 months later. I finally called twice last week and spoke to a live human being who never called me back (as promised). What-the-double-f**k is going on over there? I can't say I'm exceptionally pleased with giving you $100 for NOTHING!

Regards,

Long-time customer and brand advocate

You really need to call Shelby to get this resolved. They do not regularly monitor the forum.

When you call them and they ask to put you on hold or call back tell them that you have already done that and will wait for a response. If not then ask for a supervisor.

But pretty much all you'll get here is a shoulder to cry on :)

Sam,

I went with the new 4 piston set up brembo kit (M-2300-S) since I wasn't sure if the 6 piston 15" fronts would have worked with my 18" wheels. Installed them last week and love them.

Jeff

For drag racing, I use a 17" wheel/drag radial combo, any idea if this rear brake set up will work with that? My DD wheels are 20's so I know it will work for that.

Dan

For drag racing, I use a 17" wheel/drag radial combo, any idea if this rear brake set up will work with that? My DD wheels are 20's so I know it will work for that.

Dan

Sorry Dan, I don't know, and wouldn't want to speculate. You could always use the "ask the seller a question" on the ebay item. I'll post a pic tomorrow of how this set up looks and how close the bigger rotors are on the 18" wheels so you can see the clearance. That might help determine if there would be or wouldn't be enough clearance with your 17's.

Jeff

Archived