TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time To Replace Tires After 8 Years - Extremecont. Vs Michelin Pilot Sport

Superchief

My BF Goodrich tires have 8 years on them, and I have heard that tires with 6 years of service should be replaced if exposed to the elements. My 2007 GT 500 has been garaged and only run on nice days. Still has some tread, but I am mostly worried about age of tires. My wheels are front 255/35ZR20 and rear are 275/35ZR20. The following are my concerns, questions and comments....any thoughts and/or advise is appreciated:

1. So far I have narrowed my search for new tires to:

A. Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 (ZR) $1382.35 installed

B. Extreme Continental DWS 97W XL J (ZR) $1102.97 installed

2. Thinking that I should replace the tire sensors??

3. Includes wheel alignment - why not.

4. Chrome Shelby Wheels - old tires taken off with rubber tipped device, by experienced mechanic ...not to damage wheels.

5. Replacing tires after 8 years of service....this is a good thing? (Foolish or Smart...am I buying peace of mind?)

Thanks,

Superchief

I've had the Extreme Continental DW's on my 2011 and Michelin Pilot Super Sport's my 2014. I drive mine year round and I was concerned about wet handling as well as dry. You can't go wrong with either tire. I had the DW's not DWS' and Pilot Super Sports not the AS3's. I live in the South and at times drive in the rain and both are exceptional. The one's you're looking at should handle both the wet and the snow quite well.

My BF Goodrich tires have 8 years on them, and I have heard that tires with 6 years of service should be replaced if exposed to the elements. My 2007 GT 500 has been garaged and only run on nice days. Still has some tread, but I am mostly worried about age of tires. My wheels are front 255/35ZR20 and rear are 275/35ZR20. The following are my concerns, questions and comments....any thoughts and/or advise is appreciated:

1. So far I have narrowed my search for new tires to:

A. Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 (ZR) $1382.35 installed

B. Extreme Continental DWS 97W XL J (ZR) $1102.97 installed

2. Thinking that I should replace the tire sensors??

3. Includes wheel alignment - why not.

4. Chrome Shelby Wheels - old tires taken off with rubber tipped device, by experienced mechanic ...not to damage wheels.

5. Replacing tires after 8 years of service....this is a good thing? (Foolish or Smart...am I buying peace of mind?)

Thanks,

Superchief

1. I would go w/ the Conti's, personally, just because they sponsor the Continental Tire Series!

2. I would do this. You probably have the old "banded" sensors. You can get updated sensors which I think include metal stems?

3. Yep.

4. Yep.

5. Smart.

Archived