TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Joining The 19" Inch Wheel Club!

Well, my beloved 18" Anthracite Staggered Bullits with brand new MT tires will be going up for sale soon! Making room for big brakes up front so I've decided to upsize to 19" Boss 302 LS wheels, (staggered 9" up front, 10" out back, with machined face and gray/charcoal inserts). Being new to the 19" scene, any ideas on tire size/fitment for the SGT, (stock suspension)? Probably run Invo's or something similar - maybe even another set of Mickey Thompsons, but just not sure yet.

Sam

Bravo!

I have the Invos on both SGTs, and I consider them to be a much better tire than other Nitto offerings. I am spontaneous, and may put either car on the track without making a change, just for fun stuff. The Invos are handy for me. The NT line was to greasy for my liking, and the Invos are greatly improved. Tread patterns are notable, as is the wear index and water management. If you have not driven on them before, push them, you will be impressed. If anything, keep an eye on proper inflation for street use.

Sounds like you got the brake clearance you needed from the Boss wheel, looks great too. I like them. IMHO, I would mount 255/40/19 front and 295/35/19 rear. You pick what you like, but these numbers work on a lowered SGT. Fatter tires on the street will challenge water management, maybe lead to hydro-planing. You won't miss any adhesion gained in larger tires. Also, ABS and Traction-control wont be upset and your speedo should be dead on.

Would you mind sharing the wheel dimensions (relative to brakes) you used? Many of us could benefit from those numbers.

Thanks, y'all be safe.

LuLu - good information there, thanks!

As for these wheels, they appear to be recent additions to Ford Racing offerings. I saw a similar set on a Boss at a show and immediately started searching - they are listed as Ford Racing part #M-1007KIT-DC19910CH with specs that match the black trim wheels - back 10" have a 47.5mm offset, 7.4 inch backspacing, front 9" have 42mm offset, 6.7 inch backspacing.

I'm a little up in the air about the front brakes, but I'm leaning toward the Brembo six-piston, 15 inch rotor setup, (#M-2300-T), just with appearance changes to drilled and slotted rotors and maybe a caliper color of silver/gray.

The stock brakes did pretty good with the OE size Baer Decelarotors and track pads, but "pretty good" just isn't cutting it anymore! (Although I'll keep that setup on the rear end)

Sam

Yup...you are good to go (mean stop), Sam, on everything brakes available right now, including the 15" Brembo 4 wheel kit from FRPP (13.8 rear). Don't sweat it, get it done. The Laguna Seca wheel is the nicest street wheel one could ask for. Officially, and on record, I am envious. No wait! Everything I said here is wrong...it's all bell shut...those wheels are junk...I'll help you, Sam, I'll help sell them...sell them to me, yeah...it's all scrap aluminum anyway...I'll give you a good price! Sam? Are you listening? Sam?

Okay...nevermind. The part numbers for 4 wheel kits seem to skittle about depending where you are shopping, but your front wheels are the M-1007-DC199LGB, and the rear wheels are M-1007-DC1910LGB individually. Your selection will look awesome, and perform beyond your expectations. I had my hands on a set, NIB, at Carlilse last fall, for 950. But, it took me a while to get back to the vendor's tent, and they were sold. I have since bought American Racing's Shelby Bullitts in chrome, but I'll be replacing them in a few years. Maybe then...

Before you mount tires, could you please take a pic of the part number? A few here have asked about that, maybe a sample pic would be helpful? Never hurts to ask.

Have you ironed out the TPMS confusion? I believe you are tethered to the banded sensor, the valve stem sensor won't work with the SGT programming. No worries, plenty around, shop aggressively. Since the banded sensor batteries last longer than Ford Tech expected, the supply chain has a lot on hand. To date, I have needed to replace only 1 sensor due to a dead battery.

Congrats, Sam, you done good.

Y'all be safe.

LuLu - Why yes, you can have my wheels - NOT - however, thanks for the kind words!

Sold in kit form, but individual part numbers are as follows:

Front Wheels - DR3Z-1007-A

Rear Wheels - DR3Z-1007-B

TPMS Sensor Kit with learning transmitter - M-1180-A, (Made in U.K.!) Transmitter is a TPMS-19, 8C2Z-1A203-A

I don't think there's an issue with the valve stem sensor, at least that's been my experience so far with the set that came with the AM Bullitts I have on the car now! (I sold my original wheels and tires with the OEM sensors to another Team Shelby member a while back.) Perhaps that's been resolved?

image1%201_zpswqfsebah.jpg

Sam

Not sure about the discrepancy in wheel part numbers you describe - these also have the part number I mentioned above cast into the interior of the spokes along with the FoMoCo and Made in China stuff! I did read that these have the same specs as the 1910LGB, just a different color - charcoal instead of black.

Sam

Sam,

The stem TPMS sensors work fine with our cars. On my GT-H with the 302S black wheel they programmed easily and do work. The least expensive sensors I have found is through Blue Oval Industries. I have a programmer you can use if the set you purchase does not include one.

-David

David - thanks buddy, but a new programmer was included!

By the way, what size tires did you go with? (I forgot to write your specs down when you were in Longwood!) I'm old school and trying to keep some decent sidewall and avoid the "rubber band" look!

Also, didn't you go with the Continental DW's?

Sam

Not sure about the discrepancy in wheel part numbers you describe - these also have the part number I mentioned above cast into the interior of the spokes along with the FoMoCo and Made in China stuff! I did read that these have the same specs as the 1910LGB, just a different color - charcoal instead of black.

Sam

Its kind of a moot point now, Sam, but what I was trying to explain is that when vendors, like Blue Oval, bundle stuff together, the part number for the bundle is the vendors choice. Bundle numbers change, but the base wheel part number will not. Also, I do understand that "GB" means gloss black, and "CA" is charcoal anthracite. All I was doing, or trying to do, was get past the things that change, to focus on what should not. Most importantly, offset and backspace, for others here. Mission accomplished?

My concern over TPMS sensors was born back in 2007, when one of mine failed. The banded sensor was the OEM part, and back ordered one week. The valve stem sensor was Joe New Kid on the block, and one was installed. It failed to register, and I was told by the tech that the different technologies could not be interminigled. Maybe that is true today, maybe not, I don't know. I was just giving you a heads up on possibilities. Now I understand that valve stem sensors CAN be used on the SGT, thank you for the 411.

Carry on, gents, y'all be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrrggghh! Oh the agravation of the TPMS, except I'm the idiot this time! I got everything put together and mounted up the new wheels on the SGT and I couldn't get the system to reset, no matter what I tried! Did some research and went back to the vendors website where I purchased the wheel kit and surprise, the M-1180-A TPMS supplied with the wheels is for the 2010-2014 Mustang!

Pulled off the new wheels and now have to redo everything with the correct sensors!

Crap!

The wheels did look awesome though!

Sam

Well, my beloved 18" Anthracite Staggered Bullits with brand new MT tires will be going up for sale soon! Making room for big brakes up front so I've decided to upsize to 19" Boss 302 LS wheels, (staggered 9" up front, 10" out back, with machined face and gray/charcoal inserts). Being new to the 19" scene, any ideas on tire size/fitment for the SGT, (stock suspension)? Probably run Invo's or something similar - maybe even another set of Mickey Thompsons, but just not sure yet.

Sam

Without even reading any posts you limit yourself straight from the start as there isn't as many tire sizes in 19 from the manufacturers as there are with 20's. I looked up the tire size on my 13 GT350 and 3 manufacturers make that size so its something to keep an eye on because if they don't sell a lot with a tire in a certain size they kill it. Just look at 15" wheels the old muscle car scene can't find performance tires and I don't mean BF Goodrich T/A's in 15's so I ended up putting 17's on my 73 because they just stopped making 15" tires across the board.

Looks terrific!

But I'm confused with the use of the valve stem senser. Everything I've read says they are not compatable with the 2007-2008 cars and it sounds like you discovered this Sam, but David states they worked for him?

Thanks for the compliments!

As for tire size, I'm not to concerned at present since newer model Mustangs are coming equipped with 19" wheels. If I can't get 19" tires, I may return to 18", except I'll have to utilize Razors or some other style that will clear big brakes.

For a time, the band-style sensors were the only ones that would work with our cars, however, with industry changes/updates, the valve stem variety will work, you just have to make sure you get the correct year/model sensors! I was concentrating on wheel fitment and I failed to notice the statement "2010-2014 tpms sensors" on the website when I ordered the wheels!

My American Muscle Bullitts I bought a few years ago, came with the valve-stem style sensors and I never had issues with them.

I believe I've seen valve stem sensors offered that cover 2007-2014 Mustangs, so maybe the 2005-06 are still band style?

Sam

Thanks for the compliments!

As for tire size, I'm not to concerned at present since newer model Mustangs are coming equipped with 19" wheels. If I can't get 19" tires, I may return to 18", except I'll have to utilize Razors or some other style that will clear big brakes.

For a time, the band-style sensors were the only ones that would work with our cars, however, with industry changes/updates, the valve stem variety will work, you just have to make sure you get the correct year/model sensors! I was concentrating on wheel fitment and I failed to notice the statement "2010-2014 tpms sensors" on the website when I ordered the wheels!

My American Muscle Bullitts I bought a few years ago, came with the valve-stem style sensors and I never had issues with them.

I believe I've seen valve stem sensors offered that cover 2007-2014 Mustangs, so maybe the 2005-06 are still band style?

Sam

Wheels look GREAT on your car. Perfect match IMHO for your stripes etc.

Fortunately for owners of 05-06 Mustangs. TPMS was not mandated until the 07 model year.

I have photo's of that wheel with both the chrome " Ford Racing " center caps and the " Pony " cap that came on a Boss. I can't figure out how to post them on the forum but I could email them to you ( sent you a PM) if you want to see what they look like.

I love the way 19's/20's look on the S197. A guy at Mustang Alley told me that Ford wanted to offer 19's on the 05 but tire availability was limited at the time. There may be some truth to that as they greatly expanded the available 19" wheels starting with the 2010's.

I think that 19" tire choices are increasing as there are so many cars offering 19's and 20's now.

What size and tires did you end up settling on? I just bought a set of 19" wheels and am currently shopping for tires and trying to decide between 295 and 285 rears.

GT

The differences between a 285/ and a 295/ are nominal, but they do differ in more than just tread on the pavement. The 295/ is also slightly taller, a larger circumference. Of course, most of us would lean towards the wider tire with no worry about this. However, there is another measurement to consider.

The offset/backspace of the wheel you select will impact the tire size. The minor (just over 1/3 of an inch) addition of tire width and its tallness may cause problems if the center (hub) of the wheel pushes the tire out too far. The offset/backspace describes the location of the mounting hub, and where that hub hangs inside the wheel will impact brake clearance and wheel well clearance for the outside of the tire. What I am trying to say, is that a 295/ tire may rub against the fender, and that would be better determined by knowing how the wheel will fit the axle. In tight cornering, you may scrub up against the fender. AND, even though a 19" wheel will provide more room for larger brake calipers and rotors, the spoke of the wheel may not. The offset/backspace is important here too.

Carry on gents, be safe.

Archived