TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Seasonal Insurance Providers W/agreed Value?

Fellow TS members,

I know the insurance question has been posed many times before, but a little bit of a twist in my situation.

Renewal time for my Grundy policy is coming up, and I wanted to see if there were any better options for my cars with respect to where I live. Apparently Grundy does not offer seasonal insurance, and I am only allowed to add collision coverage to the policy (cannot remove it for the winter months). It wouldn't be an issue other than my renewal is in March, not October.

Anyone have any experience with carriers that offer something more to my liking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim

From my experience over the years you'll have trouble finding someone to piecemeal coverage. My carrier's cost was so minimal that I didn't want to bother picking it apart...of course we really don't have many seasonal issues here.

I have such a policy on my Ford GT and asked about it when I was in Colorado (it's basically parked from Oct-May). There was no break. Those that write the "agreed value" policies already know that the vehicle is limited use and the premium is priced accordingly.

Well I'm not looking to remove coverage all together, but don't feel the necessity to have collision when it's doing 0 for me for 6 months. They will let you renew a policy without collision, and put it on when the car is ready to drive, but I'm kinda stuck due to when I first purchased the policy. (They even said this when I spoke to them).

Living in MN, I tried going down this road before and without luck. I also tried to limit my insurance while one of my cars was in long term storage (2 years), and they wouldn't let me do it. The worst part is that I also tried to compare regional rates to other places where people can drive year round. I found out that the rates per dollar (agreed value) were the same, even though I only get 1/2 the opportunity to drive during the year. This isn't such a big deal on "real" classics like a 66 Mustang, but the rate/dollar is SO MUCH higher on my 2006 Hertz that it really makes it tough to justify keeping the car at times.

Living in MN, I tried going down this road before and without luck. I also tried to limit my insurance while one of my cars was in long term storage (2 years), and they wouldn't let me do it. The worst part is that I also tried to compare regional rates to other places where people can drive year round. I found out that the rates per dollar (agreed value) were the same, even though I only get 1/2 the opportunity to drive during the year. This isn't such a big deal on "real" classics like a 66 Mustang, but the rate/dollar is SO MUCH higher on my 2006 Hertz that it really makes it tough to justify keeping the car at times.

I am finding the same, but will be trying my best to find something over the next week or so. It clearly states on my agreed policy the breakdown between collision and comprehensive (same cost). I see no reason allowing only comprehensive when the car is on a lift for several months.

To everyone else, thanks for the feedback! It is greatly appreciated!!

Jim

I could do it with Grundy if my policy started at the end of the driving season. Like I said before, they will allow me to renew WITHOUT collision and then add it when the season starts. You just can't REMOVE collision once the new policy is in effect.

Fellow TS members,

I know the insurance question has been posed many times before, but a little bit of a twist in my situation.

Renewal time for my Grundy policy is coming up, and I wanted to see if there were any better options for my cars with respect to where I live. Apparently Grundy does not offer seasonal insurance, and I am only allowed to add collision coverage to the policy (cannot remove it for the winter months). It wouldn't be an issue other than my renewal is in March, not October.

Anyone have any experience with carriers that offer something more to my liking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim

Just got my invoice today Silver Wheels which was bought out by Haggerty . When I put my cars away in the fall I call them & cancel my collision & when I`am ready to put them back on the road I call a week ahead ( gives them time to send out the slips)to put collision back on. I save $150 for both cars by doing this.

I could do it with Grundy if my policy started at the end of the driving season. Like I said before, they will allow me to renew WITHOUT collision and then add it when the season starts. You just can't REMOVE collision once the new policy is in effect.

If that's the case, why not renew policy now, end of driving season (or when you prefer to have the renewal cycle) cancel policy. Then get a new policy starting out without collision. This should then create a policy renewal cycle that coincides with the end of the driving season.

You guys (and gals) may want to check out Travelers Insurance. Wife and I have all policies with them. I live in VT so the car is in storage from mid Oct. to May.

I just call them up when I put the car away, they delete the collision and send me a check for $285.00 for the unused collision portion for those months. You have

to pay the full policy amount for the year up front.....works for me.

Travelers will get a call from me! Just makes sense. I have to pay for my Grundy upfront as well. As ITHertz mentioned, it is sometimes hard to justify keeping a car and paying these rates.

Awesome, gonna give Travelers a call as well as Silver wheels. I have no issues paying in full upfront as that seems to be the norm with agreed value policies. Forcing me to keep collision when the car is in storage make zero sense, but makes the insurance company plenty! Thanks for the heads up JayVT and Shelby001!!!

You guys (and gals) may want to check out Travelers Insurance. Wife and I have all policies with them. I live in VT so the car is in storage from mid Oct. to May.

I just call them up when I put the car away, they delete the collision and send me a check for $285.00 for the unused collision portion for those months. You have

to pay the full policy amount for the year up front.....works for me.

My family uses Travelers Insurance and this is how they do it for us too. For myself personally, I do this with my Lincoln - exactly as you have described. Hey, my first post into the 1000 range.

I also have Travelers on my driver vehicles, but they do not have a stated value policy (at least where I live). So if I tried to insure my Shelby through them, it would just be a standard 2006 Mustang GT valued around $10K. Also, the policy would be double what I pay Grundy for my stated value policy. So getting the comp removed for just a part of the year would still be higher priced than my full year policy that I have through Grundy. May work for some, but not others. Having a $10K insurance value on my H would not be a good thing when I pay less for a $40K policy.

I've been in the insurance industry for 20 years and I can tell you the old rule of thumb "you get what you pay for" rings true in every scenario. Word of advice: Don't play the game of trying to outsmart the insurance companies and try to save a few bucks here or there. They employ tons of actuaries who do nothing more than analyze risk and price it accordingly. If you buy a high valued vehicle and go with the least expensive insurance, that is like buying a mansion to live in and getting a minimalistic homeowner's policy which is full of gaps.

Assess your risk tolerance and then buy the proper insurance to go with it. Be careful to educate yourself on the differences between contracts especially if there is a significant price difference. When the day comes that you need your policy benefit, you don't want to be fighting with the insurance company to pay the claim and make you whole. Just my 2 cents.....

I also have Travelers on my driver vehicles, but they do not have a stated value policy (at least where I live). So if I tried to insure my Shelby through them, it would just be a standard 2006 Mustang GT valued around $10K. Also, the policy would be double what I pay Grundy for my stated value policy. So getting the comp removed for just a part of the year would still be higher priced than my full year policy that I have through Grundy. May work for some, but not others. Having a $10K insurance value on my H would not be a good thing when I pay less for a $40K policy.

What Jeff says is my experience too. The standard policy companies, like Farmers, State Farm, Travelers, etc will do a standard policy and allow you to delete coverage during storage, but they will not write a stated/agreed value policy. That's important if you have a one-off car (like Jeff said, insurance companies don't recognize the Shelby GT or Hertz cars as anything special) or have a highly modified car.

Yes sir, I just called them. I also talked to Hagerty, and they will not remove the collision after the policy has begun. Her logic was that for those in the warm states, many do not drive their cars in the summer much as us cold/snowy states cannot drive in the winter. Really?????? OK

In Michigan Auto-Owners does the same thing that Jay said for me. I pay for the year in advance and then store and they refund me the difference and then I call whenever it is time to start driving and they start the policy all over again. I have however placed storage insurance on it as it would not have been covered under my home owners policy.

And I'm sure you park yours in the summer because its sooooooo hot out! lol

Thanks for rubbing it in Jim.....

Actually I dont, I love our summers...I may not go out as long, but having a pool,is nice

After cruise ins/shows, come home and relax in the pool is wonderful

Try Rally Insurance Agency.

They are in Illinois.

Offer great service and rates on stated value.

Haven't asked about the seasonal insurance as I don't need it, but am sure they would be straight with you.

Archived