TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacement Calipers

I have a pair of Brembos, that I painted red, that I'll let go for cheap if you are interested in playing around with spacers. Spacers tend to have a bad rap, but a quality set are plenty safe. They are used in the offroad world, and even F1. I have a set on my Wrangler now.

I had considered staying with the OE wheels, using spacers, and Brembos. I even considered having the wheels widened to 9.5-10 inches. Still think that would look pretty cool.

The other options you have are quality rotors and pads. Add steel braded lines and you will have a good brake setup.

Thanks but I'm just going to stick with what I have. I do have s/s brake lines and Baer Decelerator rotors. I did a track day with this setup once (after swapping in a set of Hawk pads) and had no issues at all. For the street it's been perfectly adequate. I only asked about the other calipers because my wife suggested them (imagine that).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might no longer be apropos for this thread, but it consolidates some "I like the original wheels but want GT500-equivalent Brembo brakes" information/solutions:

(GT/CS wheels and brakes are the same as Shelby GTs)

Meticulous Brit Mustang modifier's brakes page

Great call back. I had forgotten about that site:

• 2 weeks later...

This might no longer be apropos for this thread, but it consolidates some "I like the original wheels but want GT500-equivalent Brembo brakes" information/solutions:

(GT/CS wheels and brakes are the same as Shelby GTs)

Meticulous Brit Mustang modifier's brakes page

What do you guys think of this, particularly the use of spacers. Would one also then add spacers to the rears to maintain relativity?

I would, and I would have no issue with using a quality set of bolt on spacers. I have a set of spacer/adapters on my Jeep now with no concerns.

However, while wheel spacers can help with fitting bigger brakes, allowing aftermarket for wheels, and can widen a car's track, thereby reducing load transfer and ideally improving handling they can affect suspension geometry. Reducing the scrub radius, affecting braking stability, and it can reduce the effective spring rate. Wheel spacers can also cause wheel bearing failure.

Point being, there are possible gains as well as possible negatives. If I'm not mistaken bolt on spaces have been used in F1 Racing.

Back in history (1960s) there were a lot of stories about bearing failures on cars with widened wheels that were configured so they increased the track measurements significantly. I never actually saw such a failure, but took the warnings to heart.

I ran 25mm H&R spacers on a S197 with tracky 140-compound tires for quite a number of miles/events, and found no untoward consequences. I used blue LocTite on the studs holding the spacers on, and treated the studs that hold the wheels on (they are embedded in the spacers) as ordinary wheel studs.

My conjecture is that modern materials and design are such that within-reason spacers are not cause for worry. Other effects as mentioned by EL do require consideration.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to provide a short update:

I went with LuLu's suggested setup of DBA 4000 rotors, EBC yellowstuff pads, and the stainless steel lines and that combo was a noticeable improvement. After enough weekends at the track the yellows were toasted and I decided to try their next level more aggressive "track but streetable" bluestuff pads. The blues are even better than the yellows on initial bite and fade resistance. I kept them on since my last track day and have had zero issues with them on the street. About the only annoyance is when you're in a drive-thru line, they tend to suddenly stop and very lightly jerk the car as you come to a complete stop. Eventually you just get learn to modulate them to stop that and it's by no means whiplash levels of jerkiness.

Probably gonna try their top pad next once these blues are done - the track only orange stuff pads

Archived